The new mobile handcart trio...

mashibinbin

Dedicated Member
What were people's thoughts on the joining of Tom to the already sucessful partnership of Auntie Wainwright and Smiler. It looked like it was to develop even further when Tom moved in with Smiler but that was seemingly shelved. On reflection we'd have possibly had a situation scripted similar to Toby and Morton in the Hobbo years but without a former wife to win over.

I’m not sure what you mean by something being shelved. The premise there was that Tom was going to help Smiler find a lady and that was used for several years as a recurring subplot in various episodes. The Tom/Smiler/Auntie trio was also recurring until Stephen Lewis left the show. I think it was created to keep those characters active and worked as intended.

Just the aspect of them living together in probable disharmony that's all - their working relationship continued unabated.

What I thought was interesting was that the handcart was actually introduced while Bill Owen (Compo) was still alive and he as Compo actually did a scene riding in a kingly fashion on top of a pile of stuff piled on the handcart. And then Tom Owen as Tom was always shown pushing the handcart with Smiler. Very interesting. Another reason for the Tom and Smiler partnership was that Smiler ended up owning the Cadillac but Tom always drove it.

In the end it's what Roy Clarke puts in the script that dictates whether or not a relationship gels , clearly he believed the vignettes with Cooper and Walsh were worth developing , perhaps he thought Tom and Smiler had run its course after a period of time . I know a lot of the cast were not in the best of health but I feel Stephen Lewis never looked well at all for some time and I am sure the "glare of the spotlight" kept him performing when he probably felt too ill to do so .

I imagine that perhaps they reduced his involvement and physically he simply wan't in a position to participate in any expansion of his role had Roy Clarke chosen to develop the partnership with Tom to the next level.

I think the age of many of our fav's is something that gets forgotten!
Like parents and mates, you don't notice/realize they are getting old at the same pace you are :)
FWIW I loved Smiler.. the name just suited him to a T - even from the On the Buses days! I'd like to have seen more of him.

Talking with a mate the other day, we've known each other years before we even started school back in 73 - I stole a line
'... I'd like to know where it all goes... doesn't seem 5 minutes since we were in school' - such a brilliant line that many of us can relate to.

I suppose LOTSW was a boathole for comedic actors who were probably classed to old for " modern comedy" but were of a suitable age for our beloved show .The appearance of Stephen Lewis from On the Buses , Trevor Bannister from Are you Being Served , Brian Murphy from George and Mildred ,June Whitfield from Terry and June [although June is so versatile she starred in a modern comedy Ad Fab] . If you extend that to guests you have Roy Barraclough from Les Dawson , Warren Mitchell from Til Death Do us Part all have a wealth of acting talent and were an excellent fit for the show but from an age perspective they were in the twilight years of their acting career and in terms of their health it was clearly not going to be 100%.

I suppose LOTSW was a boathole for comedic actors who were probably classed to old for " modern comedy" but were of a suitable age for our beloved show .The appearance of Stephen Lewis from On the Buses , Trevor Bannister from Are you Being Served , Brian Murphy from George and Mildred ,June Whitfield from Terry and June [although June is so versatile she starred in a modern comedy Ad Fab] . If you extend that to guests you have Roy Barraclough from Les Dawson , Warren Mitchell from Til Death Do us Part all have a wealth of acting talent and were an excellent fit for the show but from an age perspective they were in the twilight years of their acting career and in terms of their health it was clearly not going to be 100%.
But it shows you how stupid it is for TV networks to assume people are past it because of their age, and because they dont need swearing, and childish T&A rubbish to create good humour that works...
Sad isnt it.
Makes you think how many people they have let slip due to their thinking of 'too old'...

Having said that LOTSW would never get a look in if you came up with the idea today.

Having said that LOTSW would never get a look in if you came up with the idea today

I agree Bruce but having said that Dad's Army is shown on BBC2 every Saturday evening at 20.30 without fail , not sure how many viewers it receives but it has not yet been pulled from the schedule and Pike [Ian Lavender] is I suppose , in Mainwaring's terms , "You stupid Pensioner"

I agree Bruce but having said that Dad's Army is shown on BBC2 every Saturday evening at 20.30 without fail , not sure how many viewers it receives but it has not yet been pulled from the schedule and Pike [Ian Lavender] is I suppose , in Mainwaring's terms , "You stupid Pensioner"
That is another legendary show isn't it - like most of British comedy from ~1960 on! Always shed a tear when I watch the last 15 mins of the last episode of Dads with Chief Warden Hodges giving them a rev, and the toast - knowing its all about to finish for the last time.. I'm an old softy :(

But that too, instead of coming out in 1968 - if it was brand new today - I don't think it would get a run. The world is a different place, look at what is considered comedy today in many places.
On The Buses, Benny Hill (World is far to PC for that!), or Steptoe and Son, and *gulp* Till Death Us Do Part or Love Thy Neighbour - and probably Are You Being Served - these all still getting runs in AU, but on Pay TV wonder how many would get a run if they were written today. Yes Minister another classic thats far too close to the truth to get a run today!

Also with many of the old days comedies - the world is too PC... too many people are offended by ... everything and nothing. I'm 500% positive some people wake up and spend their entire day searching for something to be offended by! Then they yell loudly and make a fuss, write letters, make calls, billboards etc so the media jump on it for weeks until the minority and trial by media wins.

Then you get Still Open All Hours being done at moment - maybe I'm wrong about what would and wouldn't work.. My god the world is confusing

Don't get me wrong, I love all the shows I listed - it would be nice to have that many new shows coming out today that I like as much as these, but I just struggle to watch modern shows - most of the comedy is being rehashed from the shows above + more.

I think I need a coffee.

Back