The Matchbox

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Spotted in a episode the other night that Compo flashed the matchbox twice, is this the record just twice in a episode or have you spotted where he has done this more than twice

The first time Compo shows the box is in Isometrics and After. He showed it to 4 people in this episode. Foggy, Clegg, Miss Moody, and Nora.
In Dewhirsts of Ogleby Hall he showed it to 4 women all at one time in the supermarket.

Breeding of the "creature" ???

Hello !!,
now here's one for you all to ponder........
Although none of us know....but i presume that the "thing" in the matchbox was an insect/spider/creepy crawly type of creature.
Now here'e the million dollar question.....considering the time that compo used his "magic box" to scare the female of the species [although cleggy took the viewing in his stride}[ for a long period of time],did he have more than one "creature",and did he have a "breeding programme" going on in his basement "laboratory" ???????
Because we know the "thingy" was alive,because in one of the episodes,we see the yorkshire "dr frankenstein" feeding it !!!!
Maybe it was a genetic mutation ????
Over to you,my fellow members !!!
Keith x!

Hello !!,
now here's one for you all to ponder........
Although none of us know....but i presume that the "thing" in the matchbox was an insect/spider/creepy crawly type of creature.

That's one theory, but I tend to not believe that one, mainly because while the males who saw it looked away in disgust, the females screamed. I don't think an insect would warrant that response, especially from Clegg. Remember, Clegg shows an affinity towards insects many times in the series!

Instead I'm inclined towards the theory that the matchbox was a known gag item of the era that showed (IIRC) part of the male anatomy in miniature. Somebody here noted that was a novelty/gag joke thing at the time.

Of course the fun is that we will never know, and it's not even clear that it was ever defined by Roy or anyone else. It's left to the viewers imagination.

That's one theory, but I tend to not believe that one, mainly because while the males who saw it looked away in disgust, the females screamed. I don't think an insect would warrant that response, especially from Clegg. Remember, Clegg shows an affinity towards insects many times in the series!

Instead I'm inclined towards the theory that the matchbox was a known gag item of the era that showed (IIRC) part of the male anatomy in miniature. Somebody here noted that was a novelty/gag joke thing at the time.

Of course the fun is that we will never know, and it's not even clear that it was ever defined by Roy or anyone else. It's left to the viewers imagination.

That does make sense: and agree certainly explain Clegg's reaction. However we shall never know.

Actually I suspect that the boring props department just had an empty matchbox - spoilsports!!

Thanks! But more interested because Jerry Lee Lewis was on
piano for the Carl Perkins band for that recording session. Never
sure which I liked better back in the 50's. But Carl had the
blue suede shoes!! While Jerry Lee had the Lewis Boogie.

This may have been mentioned, but I believe in one episode Compo fed whatever was in the match box.

(May have fed it with flowers from the cafe table, but could be totally wrong here - memory failure.)

I think when you look closely at all the instances, it being a live creepy crawly doesn't hold up.
1. Clegg wouldn't put up with a live creature being caged up in a match box. He was always concerned that they not be harmed.
2. Foggy asked him what he had in there. When Compo told him, Foggy replied, "Filth!"
3. Miss Moody and Nora, the first two females to view the matchbox, didn't respond with shrieks of fear, but more like they'd been insulted.
4. Compo did put a small flower into the box in Flower Power Cut, but I believe that was just a lead in for Clegg to talk about flowers being alive and having feelings.
5. In The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty, Compo did sprinkle salt into the box but I don't think he planned on eating it.
6. To me the real clincher is Ivy in Whoops and again in The Odd Dog Men. If it was a creepy crawly of any kind, she would have immediately made him take it out of the café. Instead she hit him and hollered at him but did nothing to get rid of the box.

As has been said before, we will never know since they've made a choice to keep it secret. And I think that was the intent all the time. If it was a novelty/gag item as was mentioned before, they wouldn't want to admit to it being that, especially after it became a family show. If it was an empty box, they wouldn't really want to admit it was all fake either. Never-the-less, it's fun to speculate on what it could have been.

Over the years we saw Compo carrying all kinds of things in his pockets, including a dried date.

I wonder if the match box theme developed from Compo's rabbit's foot in Series Two?

The Last of the Summer Country Companion (1992 book) lists some possibilities what may have been in the matchbox.

I suppose it's also possible and indeed likely Compo may have replaced what was is the box, particularly if it was living.

For example, maybe it started as an insect, then changed to something else.

Just out of interest does anyone know the last time Compo showed it and to who ???
The last time Compo showed the matchbox was in Beware the Vanilla Slice. He showed it to the barmaid outside the Whitehorse and she dropped the glasses she was collecting and screamed.

Thanks! But more interested because Jerry Lee Lewis was on
piano for the Carl Perkins band for that recording session. Never
sure which I liked better back in the 50's. But Carl had the
blue suede shoes!! While Jerry Lee had the Lewis Boogie.

Mr Lewis is still touring at the ripe old age of 79 he is playing London and Glasgow in September

The last time Compo showed the matchbox was in Beware the Vanilla Slice. He showed it to the barmaid outside the Whitehorse and she dropped the glasses she was collecting and screamed.
On the subject of the matchbox,I was curious as to the brand because I was looking to have one for a Summer Wine display.I emailed Roy Clarke's agent who tells me it was a Bryant and May's England's Glory edition matchbox. Since I don't expect to find one here ,that puts pay to my plan.

On the subject of the matchbox,I was curious as to the brand because I was looking to have one for a Summer Wine display.I emailed Roy Clarke's agent who tells me it was a Bryant and May's England's Glory edition matchbox. Since I don't expect to find one here ,that puts pay to my plan.

It seems Bryant & May ceased to exist in the 80's but a Swedish firm still make England's Glory matches, I must admit I've not seen any around for a while but then I wasn't looking so I'll have a look at when I go shopping.

Some really good points have been brought up, me2 (is your name a reference to Me2 [Me squared] from Red Dwarf?) on the possibility of Clegg raising an issue on Compo keeping a live insect / creature caged in a matchbox... I figured it was an already dead insect or that Compo would keep it a short time and release it back to the wild. That Compo was always on the lookout for the next best gross thing to startle the ladies with.

If it was alive I’m not sure Compo would care for it to get loose in his clothes. He does tend to get disheveled at times with their antics and I can easily see the matchbox get squashed and come open enough for whatever is inside to get out. We’ve seen him dance about with a ferret in his clothes and Foggy with a beetle in his trousers!

Had also read that it was a joke male anatomy part novelty box that may have been popular at the time. Whatever it was Compo may have been his humorous self by trying to “feed it” with a leaf or salt. I believe that what was inside will be keep as a secret by those in the know as a tribute to Compo and his antics. I can respect that, but it is still fun to try and guess at what it was.

Cheers,
Rick

Some really good points have been brought up, me2 (is your name a reference to Me2 [Me squared] from Red Dwarf?)

Rick

Nothing so interesting I'm afraid. My sister always signed her emails: Me. so I started signing mine Me[SUP]2[/SUP].

It seems Bryant & May ceased to exist in the 80's but a Swedish firm still make England's Glory matches, I must admit I've not seen any around for a while but then I wasn't looking so I'll have a look at when I go shopping.
Thanks,Pearl.I'd appreciate it.

Avenger, I found several matchbox's on ebay by searching 'Bryant and May's matchbox' as well as 'England's Glory matchbox'. Only searched them because they were mentioned here. Can't recall exactly what Compo's looked like. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Rick

Back