The Making of the Vintage Years of Last of the Summer Wine

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
As I have been sorting out some seldom touched shelves lately I have come across the above.

Link to Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

where you can buy a used copy for 1p or a brand new one for £161!!

Mainly photographs by Malcolm Howarth a local photographer and dates back to the early 1990s when the exhibition was up the road and was just photographs. At the time it was the only place with a listin available of the episodes which I used to check my progress of tracking down the missing ones which I eventually did. This was in the days before repeats on cable or satellite and no internet to search!

Any one else got this litle volume? Lot of images of crew as well as cast.

Ebay also have a few copies available, just bought one from there cost $13 Au ... about 6 quid I guess but that is delivered to me here in Oz. It is second hand so will wait to see quality.

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't heard of this book beforehand

Thanks for the pointer. Amazon US lists several copies in various conditions at various prices. I just ordered one in "very good" condition @ $3 + $3.99 shipping from a seller in Florida. Even very good condition can reek from proximity to mildewed books, but a couple of days in a sealed plastic bag with a generous scoop of baking soda will deodorize enough so it won't trigger asthma. That condition doesn't guarantee that the block won't be warped so that the book will never stand upright, but at least that flaw doesn't affect usability.

As I have been sorting out some seldom touched shelves lately I have come across the above.

Link to Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

where you can buy a used copy for 1p or a brand new one for £161!!

Mainly photographs by Malcolm Howarth a local photographer and dates back to the early 1990s when the exhibition was up the road and was just photographs. At the time it was the only place with a listin available of the episodes which I used to check my progress of tracking down the missing ones which I eventually did. This was in the days before repeats on cable or satellite and no internet to search!

Any one else got this litle volume? Lot of images of crew as well as cast.

Malcolm Howarth Worked for the Huddersfield Examiner

I may have mentioned before but I thumbed through my copy I bought from Amazon for a penny only to find that it had a Sid's Cafe certificate [not completed] to certify that the named person has sampled Ivy's home-made cakes and scones surrounded by Compo, Clegg and friends in the genuine film set known as Sid's Cafe . The more surprising find , mainly because I had looked through the book several times was that I eventually noticed that the front cover picture of Compo had actually been signed by Bill Owen.

Hi all has anyone any picture's from the book you can post as it would be lovely to see them thank's

Hi all has anyone any picture's from the book you can post as it would be lovely to see them thank's

Nice idea Gill, but Mr Howarth guards his property and does scan websites to see if any of his work is being published without his okay

I may have mentioned before but I thumbed through my copy I bought from Amazon for a penny only to find that it had a Sid's Cafe certificate [not completed] to certify that the named person has sampled Ivy's home-made cakes and scones surrounded by Compo, Clegg and friends in the genuine film set known as Sid's Cafe . The more surprising find , mainly because I had looked through the book several times was that I eventually noticed that the front cover picture of Compo had actually been signed by Bill Owen.
I have this book Captain also signed by Bill Owen. I bought it when I was in Holmfirth some years ago. Bill had been there a week before and signed some copies. I would guess that there is not that many signed.

Oh, this is a great book! I made sure to get this when I had a chance!

Going off-topic as bit but wouldn't it be great if there were books just filled with Summer Wine photographs in existence? Like, in my mind, there could be a book that focuses on the characters, one that focuses on the making of Summer Wine, and one that focus on the places they film. It'd be mostly photos and a small amount of words, perhaps for the captions.

Nice idea Gill, but Mr Howarth guards his property and does scan websites to see if any of his work is being published without his okay
Which is why I did not even reproduce a copy of the front as I know that Malcolm Howarth is keen on his intellectual property rights. Hence the link./

Glad to know that others can also enjoythese photographs - as said quite a few of the crew as well and soem of the cast groups you can see the doubles as well.

Glad to know that others can also enjoythese photographs - as said quite a few of the crew as well and soem of the cast groups you can see the doubles as well.
I noticed in the lower photograph on page 27, there seem to be TWO doubles for Compo.

I noticed in the lower photograph on page 27, there seem to be TWO doubles for Compo.
You're right. I believe one is his stand in for blocking out the scenes and the other is his stunt double. The one in the second row looks like Stuart Fell who did many of the stunts.

Back