the letter

Sheree

Dedicated Member
I just watched the episode "What's Santa Brought For Nora Then?" and at the
very end Ivy opens a gift and pulls out a decorated egg and reads a letter.
Does anyone know what the letter was all about? Sheree

Is this not a decorated egg from Foggy signifying
his coming return in Return of the Warrior??

Didn't Foggy go off allegedly to decorate Easter eggs
at the sea?

chuck

Is this not a decorated egg from Foggy signifying
his coming return in Return of the Warrior??

Didn't Foggy go off allegedly to decorate Easter eggs
at the sea?

chuck

That's always been my interpretation of it also.

Yes it was, it was Xmas special before Foggy returned and gave the audience a clue that he was coming back.

I wonder why Ivy acted surprised at his return.

Probably it was either good directing from Alan JW Bell and good acting from Jane Freeman and thinking how is Seymour going to react to another "third man" being around or the only people who knew was Roy Clarke, Alan JW Bell, Brian Wilde and Michael Aldridge so it was a genuine look of surprise when on the letter someone could have wrote "Foggy's back", although I think its the former not the latter

You mean, why did Ivy act surprised at his return in Return of the Warrior?

In return of the Warrior, Foggy's return seemed a total surprise for every character.

I can only assume the letter in What's Santa only wished the reader a happy Christmas, and maybe some unimportant news, nothing about his return.

This would be a device simply to remind the audience of Foggy. After all, the new Foggy episodes hadn't even made yet, so there may have been a chance he wouldn't have been available.

Most viewers wouldn't have even remembered Foggy had moved on to run a egg decorating business anyway, so it was a bit of a gamble sticking this sequence at the end of the episode, but it did make a good little bit of drama.

Last of the Summer Wine often did a good bit of drama or emotion when it came to saying goodbye to old characters and welcoming new ones.

Alan Bell's recent book does confirm that the scene was meant to clue to viewers into Foggy's upcoming return. By the time they filmed that episode they all knew that Michael Aldridge wasn't coming back but Brian Wilde's return to the series had not been offcially announced.

I just watched the episode "What's Santa Brought For Nora Then?" and at the
very end Ivy opens a gift and pulls out a decorated egg and reads a letter.
Does anyone know what the letter was all about? Sheree

It was meant to foreshadow Foggy's return in the following season.

Probably it was either good directing from Alan JW Bell and good acting from Jane Freeman and thinking how is Seymour going to react to another "third man" being around or the only people who knew was Roy Clarke, Alan JW Bell, Brian Wilde and Michael Aldridge so it was a genuine look of surprise when on the letter someone could have wrote "Foggy's back", although I think its the former not the latter

Michael Aldridge had already let them know he was leaving the show to tend to his sick wife. Hence why Brian was able to reprise his Foggy role. If Michael had been able to continue on there would have been no need for Brian to come back as Foggy [I find his second run boring because most of the Foggy stuff was all "been there,done that" stuff]

Foggy is still my favorite 3rd man regardless of his 1st or 2nd run. There are things about his character's personality I really like in his 1st run, but I also like how he had mellowed out some and got rid of that damn striped scarf. ;) Something I also have wondered about, he must have had 2 identical green feild jackets, but one had a faded top pocket. One episode he would be wearing it, then in another the pocket wasn't faded. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

I allways thought it just Foggy enclosing an invoice for the egg. Just as he did when he sent Compo and Clegg one each in Uncle Of The Bride.

Foggy is still my favorite 3rd man regardless of his 1st or 2nd run. There are things about his character's personality I really like in his 1st run, but I also like how he had mellowed out some and got rid of that damn striped scarf. ;) Something I also have wondered about, he must have had 2 identical green feild jackets, but one had a faded top pocket. One episode he would be wearing it, then in another the pocket wasn't faded. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

If you watch Deep in the Heart of Yorkshire the pocket stain comes and goes,when Foggy is outside the stain is there,watch the bit in the pub,no stain when he is inside as they leave the pub stain is there,so maybe 2 Jackets one for internal studio and one for location

That could be it then. I'll start watching closer to see exactly when the faded pocket seems to be showing up.

Back