The last great episode of the show?

Nicko12345

Dedicated Member
Recently I have been watching quite a few of the later episodes of the show (some enjoyable, others less so). and it got me thinking about what the last truly great, corker of an episode was. If someone were to pin me down now then I would probably say Just a Small Funeral but I`m sure others will feel there are later classics.

I start this thread partly to try to have a lively discussion and partly for the selfish reason of hoping other fans can recommend some crackers for me to watch from the last decade of the show. :21:

I'm not sure there were any real corkers after that. For me the last truly great one was Destiny and 6 Bananas. Having said that there were a few good ones but nothing like the Foggy years.

I only have about the last 20 episodes to watch and I am trying to give them a chance, since Bill Owen passing. So far I liked; A Short Introduction to Cooper's rules.

This is a very good topic. There have been many good discussions comparing eras, but which are truly great episodes is a whole other discussion.

First let me preface this by saying I believe there are really good episodes in the last three series. I think "Goodnight Sweet Ferret" is probably the funniest of the Hobbo episodes. "Will Howard Cross the Atlantic?" is also pretty good.

However, I believe the last really classic, exceptional episode is "In Which Howard Gets Double Booked" is Series 28. Then the year before that is one of my all time favorites, "Follow that Bottle".

This is a very good topic.
Ro
However, I believe the last really classic, exceptional episode is "In Which Howard Gets Double Booked" is Series 28.

Agree this was another great episode!!!!

Does anyone else think that Robert Fyfe did a lot of his own physical stunts, I mean, running to get on his bike, to where it seems Sallis and Owen,probably would have had the stunt double do it. He probably didn't do the falling off of the roof stunts. It seems he was really agile when he would crouch to not be seen by Pearl thru the window, etc. Out of all of them, I think he the most active. Just sayin'

Last edited:
I liked the episode Barry the Psychopathic Killer but Only Part Time. That is a great one.

I agree, that it's hard to find any post-Compo episodes that are watchable. One of the few episodes that are actually interesting is the one where the girls go to clean this man's house, the men end up at this pub way out in the country, Auntie Wainwright arrives with a wardrobe, Barry does something interesting, and then they all dance a jig.

I'm not sure there were any real corkers after that. For me the last truly great one was Destiny and 6 Bananas. Having said that there were a few good ones but nothing like the Foggy years.

I keep hearing about this one but couldn't find it on Utube. I am going to have to find that one....

A really clever episode is Coming of the Beast. It shows how a rumour can snowball :29:

Much better in my opinion than Lair of the Cat Creature!

Last edited:
I don't have access to a lot of the later episodes past Series 23 (many aren't on YouTube) but I can't say any of the several I've seen really captured my interest. I do think the show was still at a high level as late as that series though, at least in terms of having some great moments. Glenda in the motorcycle gear in "A Brief Excursion in the Fast Lane," Wesley's mobile hot dog machine in "Beware of the Hot Dog," etc.

I keep hearing about this one but couldn't find it on Utube. I am going to have to find that one....

Beth I just found it on you tube. Make sure you type in Last of the summer wine destiny and 6 bananas. It's there. The subscriber is channel named , Last of the summer wine.

Thanks Brenda. I will look again. It has been a tough day for finding things today.....even in my apartment. ;D

Back