The Ladies Coffee Mornings

I think its a vital part of the show offering sort of interlude from the main show so to speak. These vignettes were always humorous reminded me very much of Cissie and Ada [Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough] where they gossiped and whispered or mouthed the words when talking about their unmentionables [the drink your coffee was used in a similar fashion by Roy Clarke when something ever so slightly risque was mentioned] . The running gag about the cake was excellent , I wonder who secured the most delicious of the cakes the most number of times in the show's series? The show would have been the poorer without these scenes. :)

The running gag about the cake was excellent , I wonder who secured the most delicious of the cakes the most number of times in the show's series? The show would have been the poorer without these scenes. :)
The one I saw yesterday was really funny. The plate was sitting on the table and both Ivy and Nora went for the last one, then graciously backed off and gestured for the other to take it, then from left screen Pearl's hand jumps in and grabs it :) I think my favorite one was when Edie while still holding the plate grabbed the big éclair and bit into it while others were reaching for it.

For many years here in the states, all we had was the second series of Foggy and that opens with Return of the Warrior. In that the ladies are gathered, and the big news of course is Foggy's return. As Ivy was offered her choice, she giggles and says, oh no, I shouldn't. She starts to reach, and, about that time, Nora, reaches in and snags the eclair. I think that was my favorite, as it was the first time I had seen the ladies together..

I'm in Maryland Tommy. I have Gold now too, so I watch Summer Wine regularly. In fact, I'm watching it as I type..
I put the morning rotation on every day, it's better for my health (physically and mentally lol) than the network and cable news garbage. I caught the earlier airing of todays 2 episodes. I have all the episodes available I could watch anytime, but it is nice having them wedged within a morning of good background of Gold :)

I put the morning rotation on every day, it's better for my health (physically and mentally lol) than the network and cable news garbage. I caught the earlier airing of todays 2 episodes. I have all the episodes available I could watch anytime, but it is nice having them wedged within a morning of good background of Gold :)
How are you able to watch Gold in US? I'm trying to figure out if my Roku can support it (apparently not).

Last edited:
I'm particularly fond of these scenes for several reasons. Firstly you got the female viewpoint on the episodes events which at odds to that of the menfolk. Secondly, it's very much a comedy of manners and perceived status akin to the wonderful Mapp and Lucia in which Edie holds court with often not only Batty but Pearls of wisdom (see what I did there, twice!) along the way. Finally the struggle for the choicest cake invariably gives a satisfactory close to a wonderful window of spying on their clandestine setting the world to rights.

When Mike Grady (Barry) had taken a break from the show, Glenda constantly talked about Barry during the Coffee Mornings. That way, they didn't have to write him out and eventually he quietly returned with a new hobby -- golf.

Onslow, I have two Firetv cubes. I have two different IPTV's I pay for. One I host on TiviMate, the other on IPTV Smarters. I side loaded both on my cubes. I turn on my VPN and hit the one I want, and viola, Last of the Summer Wine on Gold and Drama..
IPTV is definitely the way to go, it's more reliable than that stream, but that stream makes a good link for me to share classic Britcoms with the curious but not yet committed :)

Thanks Tommy that link is really useful for those of you that side of the pond. You can pull up the UK Gold schedules to see what time things are going to be broadcast!
They recently moved the Gold listings from a UKTV page that showed the current show in your local time to it's own page with the listing in 24 hour format that you have to scroll the offset # of hours for your time zone to find the current show. Now the better option is the UK TV Guide page that shows local UK time but indicates the currently airing show. https://www.tvguide.co.uk/channel/gold#702314684

Back