The Ladder in Mending Stuart's Leg

wstol

Dedicated Member
Re Mending Stuart's Leg, something that's always fascinated me for years and years, but never asked. How LONG is that ladder??

If I ever feel like it, I should try to count how many rungs there are, and calculate it.

I don't think some of the people on the street when the ladder is being taken to the cafe are actual actors or extras - just look at that impatient old biddy trying to get past, she's not there in the next shot, so probably not an actor.

I like the way these old programmes are filmed without proper extras and all that health and safety stuff. No doubt the crew just turned up one day and filmed it without all the red tape one would expect now.

Re Mending Stuart's Leg, something that's always fascinated me for years and years, but never asked. How LONG is that ladder??

If I ever feel like it, I should try to count how many rungs there are, and calculate it.

I don't think some of the people on the street when the ladder is being taken to the cafe are actual actors or extras - just look at that impatient old biddy trying to get past, she's not there in the next shot, so probably not an actor.

I like the way these old programmes are filmed without proper extras and all that health and safety stuff. No doubt the crew just turned up one day and filmed it without all the red tape one would expect now.

There are about 44 rungs, so maybe a foot between each rung plus the ends,so maybe a 45ft ladder

That's some ladder, bearing in mind it can't be folded up or anything. That would reach four or five storeys, wouldn't it?

How on earth do you transport a 45ft ladder which can't be collapsed???
Like everything else back then, you and your mate carried it. Not like now, everything has to come car size.
It reminds me of my son in law, a very practical man, intelligent, logical thinker except for one time! ( no one needs to fall down in front of their mother in law, especially this mother in law )
My daughter rang one day and asked if I'd give him a lift in my car as it was considerably larger than his, he'd measured a space they had been reserved for a bookcase and had found the right size at Argos, when I got to their house he came out with tape measure and measured my car, I asked my daughter what he was doing and said he wanted to make sure it would fit! I toyed with idea of telling him that it would come flat pack but wheres the fun in that?
He decided it was going to be a tight fit so resolved on loading it in the car and getting the bus home if need be!
So I drive his dumb a@@ to Argos and wait patiently for the inevitable, he eventually came out red faced and looking sheepish, I think the grin on my face said it all. It turned out to be a car sized flat pack.
I labelled this in category " you can't get a woman daughter pregnant and not face some sort of retribution even if you did marry her first "

That's some ladder, bearing in mind it can't be folded up or anything. That would reach four or five storeys, wouldn't it?
If memory serves , didn't it reach from the yard over the roof guttering ??

I do think the policeman they passed was an extra, or else he was just helping keep the crowds from getting too heavy.

Back