The Documentary

some words just come out "mogbloghed" no matter where I am!

Stanley Unwin invented a new genre of mispronunciation with his Unwinese "Basic Engly Twenty Fido" inspired by his mother who told him she had " falloped over and grazed her kneeclabbers" so keep it going who knows it might take off :)

Once asked his opinion of Elvis he said :-

“Well, from across the herring-pole where harth the people has produced some waspwaist and swivel-hippy, I must say the rhythm contrapole sideways with the head and tippy tricky half fine on the strings.”

Stanley Unwin invented a new genre of mispronunciation with his Unwinese "Basic Engly Twenty Fido" inspired by his mother who told him she had " falloped over and grazed her kneeclabbers" so keep it going who knows it might take off :)
Certain people I know will happily tell you about my frequent contrafabulations...

Well, it's been "one of those days" ... again. I know January is not known for sunshine, but all I need is daylight and no rain. An overcast sky is great for video: no dazzling bright spots, no pitch black shadows. So, it's been a bit wet, and *very* windy. This is the laptop after it got blown away:
20230113_112231E.jpg
Yes, the air vent and all the sockets are full of mud.
It still works, now I've emptied the rainwater out of it (again). I'm starting to think this one is unbreakable!

Oh, then, this:
20230113_121751E.jpg
This is a *road*. I had to walk about 1.3 miles along this road - Google thinks that takes 28 minutes, it took me nearly an hour. Each way.
Was it worth it? Well... it started raining when I got to the spot I wanted to video, so I wasn't hanging around. If you recognise the area you might guess where I was going. I did have to do two takes, I got to the last line and I choked. Even after more than 20 years, talking about a character - and an actor - we lost is still difficult.

Bad luck there Leigh, hope all is recoverable. I reckon you walked up to Wesseden. Pretty potholed at the best of times.
Yes, Graham, the laptop was fine!

Working 3 days a week has curtailed my activities a bit, but I have been doing some more work on sound today.

IMG-20230210-0E.jpg
No, I've not been banished to the garden for making too much mess in the house - I needed to record audio to overdub some video footage where I'm too far from the camera to be seen properly. Recording indoors would make the acoustics wrong.

Yes, Graham, the laptop was fine!

Working 3 days a week has curtailed my activities a bit, but I have been doing some more work on sound today.

View attachment 5846
No, I've not been banished to the garden for making too much mess in the house - I needed to record audio to overdub some video footage where I'm too far from the camera to be seen properly. Recording indoors would make the acoustics wrong.
I can't wait to see the fruits of your labour, do you have any idea of timescales for release yet ?

I can't wait to see the fruits of your labour, do you have any idea of timescales for release yet ?
Thanks ... I'm doing my best to get the first instalments online before the event in May ... Everything is filmed out of sequence, and I'm trying to get the footage for the early episodes done as soon as possible.
I received the files for the original music today, and I'm so pleased with how they sound!

Thanks ... I'm doing my best to get the first instalments online before the event in May ... Everything is filmed out of sequence, and I'm trying to get the footage for the early episodes done as soon as possible.
I received the files for the original music today, and I'm so pleased with how they sound!
Thanks that's really exciting news, will you be joining us at the May event and if so will you be filming there?

Before the videos are even completed, I'm already being asked what my next videos will be about.
Well... I do have some ideas, but I don't want to commit myself yet, however I'm open to suggestions!
What about another one of Roys amazing comedies, Keeping Up Appearances (if you're a fan) you've got quite a few beautiful locations around Warwickshire & Northamptonshire that were used.

Did think that myself @lotsw1984, but from memory I don't think they filmed more than a few streets from the shop in Doncaster.
Except for the pilot/first episode, it was filmed in Balby, a very close-in suburb of Doncaster. No, there aren't many locations, and most of them are close together. Straight up the ginnel from almost directly across the street from the shop, there's the street that the park is on. (Was that seen only in Still Open All Hours?)

In Still ..., there's the drive to and through Scarborough, and the hotel where Mavis and Madge stayed. I have yet to figure out where the church hall or Mr. Newbold's house is.

Before you ask, I haven't been there (yet), but I've explored in Streetview so that when I go, I'll find my way around without having to look like a vulnerable tourist.

Well, that didn't work!
View attachment 5444
I'll just sit here for a few hours ...
Well, the weather here across the Pond is curious. The cherry blossoms are scheduled to be out in about three weeks, the forsythia is already out and the birds are happily chirping. The current temperature is 65F (18.3C) and many people are running around in shorts and flip flops. Very, very odd.

Except for the pilot/first episode, it was filmed in Balby, a very close-in suburb of Doncaster. No, there aren't many locations, and most of them are close together. Straight up the ginnel from almost directly across the street from the shop, there's the street that the park is on. (Was that seen only in Still Open All Hours?)

In Still ..., there's the drive to and through Scarborough, and the hotel where Mavis and Madge stayed. I have yet to figure out where the church hall or Mr. Newbold's house is.

Before you ask, I haven't been there (yet), but I've explored in Streetview so that when I go, I'll find my way around without having to look like a vulnerable tourist.
But did you notice, the garage where the mechanic is fixing his sports car - that he chases Granville down the alley in - is the café in "Still Open All Hours"?

Back