the Blamire years

Yes when i watch summerwine i always start with first of the summer wine then onto Blamire years and then every episode in order .

We are doing that as well, for maybe the third pass. Are now
up to Series 25 Who's That Mouse in the Poetry Group.

But just one a night, mind.

chuck

For me that is the beauty on catching them on my Public Television station. I am a big fan but can't afford to collect DVDs at the moment. So I watch from beginning to end, one per weekday.

This week Northern Flying Circus aired on Monday so then marked a new are, the introduction to Foggy. I got to enjoy Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper and Cheering Up Gordon. What a difference there is from Series 2 to series 3! Now, it has been ages since I have seen Seymour or Foggy's second stint. I will just have to wait patiently, but when they do come around it will be quite sweet.

Everything looks grittier and the buildings all look dark with soot,also everyone looks grotty with poor quality clothes. Can remember going up to yorkshire in the sixties regularily, enjoyed it, so different from the soft south ,lots of factories and smoking chimneys with long queues at bus stops.Seeing the lads wandering around is great as things were cheaper then ,fish and chips 1/6d fried in lard as well .Ah memories they were the days young and fancy free and a mini van! :D :D :D :D :D

Pardon me for going too off topic with my British Fishing Industry question. To get a better insight of Yorkshire, where would the primary source be for fish and chips in Yorkshire? What kind of fish? Would a major source be the port of Hull (Enwright's hometown?) Thanks for settling my curiosity.

Pardon me for going too off topic with my British Fishing Industry question. To get a better insight of Yorkshire, where would the primary source be for fish and chips in Yorkshire? What kind of fish? Would a major source be the port of Hull (Enwright's hometown?) Thanks for settling my curiosity.

Let us see what others think on this one. About 60% of UK Fishing Industry is in Scotland in that 60% of fish landed is at Scottish ports. Bulk of fish used in fish and chip shops (white fish, cod, haddock and whiting) comes into Scottish ports. Hull, although a major port, is not noted for fish. Just across the river, Grimsby, was but no longer though it is big in fish processing. Whitby is a significant Yorkshire fish port.

There is a bit of a Scotland/England divide. In Scotland in general haddock is preferred whereas in England it is cod. Of course, both are heavily battered though, if you have the slightly more expensive "Special" fish, it is breaded.

The term "Fish and Chips" tends not to be used in Scotland. When you have chips with it, it is a Fish Supper. Likewise you can have a pie supper, a black pudding supper, a haggis supper etc.

Many people down here(bucks) find cod is to expensive and are eating haddock ,a lot of our cod comes in via Cornish ports and is of a high quality.Fish fryers have tried alternatives ,pollak but it cant beat cod even though two portions of cod and chips costs £7.25 but its a good shop.The fish company I worked for has a factory quayside at Grimsby and preps the fish direct from the trawler but they are doing more smoked salmon for our depots .The Scottish fish is very high quality and is sent to Billinsgate and from there out to the rest of the country.The best fish is bought on the quayside direct from the fisherman ,I think I will have a problem there!!!!!

Many people down here(bucks) find cod is to expensive and are eating haddock ,a lot of our cod comes in via Cornish ports and is of a high quality.Fish fryers have tried alternatives ,pollak but it cant beat cod even though two portions of cod and chips costs £7.25 but its a good shop.The fish company I worked for has a factory quayside at Grimsby and preps the fish direct from the trawler but they are doing more smoked salmon for our depots .The Scottish fish is very high quality and is sent to Billinsgate and from there out to the rest of the country.The best fish is bought on the quayside direct from the fisherman ,I think I will have a problem there!!!!!

Interesting Chris. Here in Scotland haddock is as expensive as cod in the supermarket - not that we see a great deal of cod.

Fish fryers have tried alternatives ,pollak but it cant beat cod even though two portions of cod and chips costs £7.25 but its a good shop.

The best fish is bought on the quayside direct from the fisherman ,I think I will have a problem there!!!!!

Two portions of cod and chips at £7.25 is pretty good. I pay over a fiver for one fish supper. We get a fish van weekly which says it comes from Pittenweem (which is in Fife). But we suspect bulk of fish is from Aberdeen. All that gets landed now at Pittenweem is shellfish.

The fish company I worked for has a factory quayside at Grimsby and preps the fish direct from the trawler but they are doing more smoked salmon for our depots .

Wikipedia says of Grimsby: "It is still home to the largest fish market in the UK although most of what is sold is now brought overland from other ports or Iceland via containerisation."

"Very few fishing vessels still operate from Grimsby's once thriving docks, although the town does maintain a substantial fish market, of European importance."

We also use the term,"Fish Supper" for Fish and Chips over here.I bought my parents a single fish each on Thursday evening and it totalled £6.80.In fairness the fish were quite large and not the tiny pieces we had become used to over the years.

Hector.

Did anyone watch the recent series" THE FISHERMANS APPRENTICE"?? Monty Halls went to Cadgewith in Cornwall to work in the fishing fleet for a season. He did various jobs and described how and where our fish went. Apparently most is sold in "blocks" which may change hands 2 or 3 times over the course of a few months and then be sold on as" fresh" to be packaged for supermarkets etc. Chris is right when he said most freshest is sold quayside and that is what Monty Halls tried to get going at Cadgewith as a form of cooperative , the programme didnt follow up on this but it seemed to be popular at first.On the few occasions we have bought fish quayside it has seemed to go very quickly.

Let us see what others think on this one. About 60% of UK Fishing Industry is in Scotland in that 60% of fish landed is at Scottish ports. Bulk of fish used in fish and chip shops (white fish, cod, haddock and whiting) comes into Scottish ports. Hull, although a major port, is not noted for fish. Just across the river, Grimsby, was but no longer though it is big in fish processing. Whitby is a significant Yorkshire fish port.

Wow...what a popular topic. I have an old British travel book (I think from the 90's). Entwhistle and all the Hull comments made me curious and I read about it. The book said Hull was the site of "fishing wars" a while back, so I guess it has some industry. And watching "Cheering Up Gordon" the other day made me think of the topic when it showed views of Scarborough and various ships.

Of course we Americans are the big eaters. My wife and I go to this wonderful British style pub over an hour away (north of Baltimore) just for their fish and chips. I guess you would call that a three fish dinner. Thats right....three thick well batters fish. We have cod, and whiting in our mid-Atlantic area but not so much Haddock. Instead we have plenty of Catfish, but I guess that is fresh water.

Wow...what a popular topic. I have an old British travel book (I think from the 90's). Entwhistle and all the Hull comments made me curious and I read about it. The book said Hull was the site of "fishing wars" a while back, so I guess it has some industry. And watching "Cheering Up Gordon" the other day made me think of the topic when it showed views of Scarborough and various ships.

I note that Hull still has a small trawler fleet but like Grimsby declined significantly after the Cod War with Iceland: http://www.hullwebs.co.uk/content/l-20c/industry/fishing/to-hull-and-back.htm

We have a really good 'Chip Shop' here in my home town Farnham, in Surrey (soft south!). It is called The Traditional Plaice. At one time it was run by a Chinese family, but they moved on and they new owners decided to go for a 'healthy' option or whatever and replaced the oil/ dripping combination which the food was cooked in, for just oil. The word flew round the town and customers just stopped going until they changed back. There was at one time a cafe in Holmfirth called 'Compo's Cafe'. They did a good fish and chips. We were in Devon last week and had some excellent chips in a paper. The worst we ever had were 'Harry Ramsdens' pride of Yorkshire. They were yesterdays warmed up and truly dreadful. So like cream teas, it does not really matter where you are in the country, it is the chef that counts in the end.

RE: Cod versus Haddock.

Don't know about you folks, but I much prefer haddock to cod, it seems to have so much more flavour; just a matter of taste I guess. Regarding fishing fleets; in Ramsgate here in Thanet, it was possible before the First World War to walk from one side of the Royal Harbour to the other on the decks of the fishing smacks which packed the inner basin - Compo, of course, would have managed to fall in!

The cod war realy was a war and finished off our deep sea fishing fleets and then the EU finished the job.Not much white fishing by inshore boats now, such as off Northumberland etc was there when the last white fisher at Amble retired.Most of the Scottish fisherman go for :the prawns: as they sell these to Spain who pay good prices dont know what the situation is at moment.I always look closely at the fish in the supermarket as it can be quite old ,check the gills if they are red and the eyes clear its usualy okay.A local market has a stall with fish from Grimsby he sells seabass three for a tenner, not bad. When Compo and co returned from Wales they went to a chippy and Compo asked how do they get the fish to fit the batter.Think a fish supper sounds much better than plain fish and chips very much an appertising thought.Think I might treat us to a bit of fish tomorrow all this talk of food is making me hungry!

Back