the Blamire years

manfromoswestry

Dedicated Member
The 4-DVD set I ordered from BBC America Shop has a nice selection of episodes from these years, but it is by no means complete. It doesn't have my favorite episode from that period, being "Ballad For Wind Instruments And Canoe". I wish the BBC would put out a comprehensive collection from this period of LOTSW, and maybe include a bonus featurette on Michael Bates's life and acting career. I think it would be a fitting and respectful tribute to the man. Feel free to comment on this.

I can understand why they dont do that mate, surely it would make more sense for it to be complete. I don't see how they would benefit from it, they must know that fans will realise, so why omit a couple of episodes and run the risk of antagonising people?

Agree - we in the UK are still short of the pilot on DVD which could have been included with series 1 and 2.

My only take on it is copyright: there might be some artist or musc that has not got clearance for sale in USA; when they first prepared series 2 on VHS tapes in UK, 'Some Enchanted Evening' was missing due to copyright reasons - in this case I think it was to do with the music played on the radio in Compo's bedroom.

I reckon that Rod could have hit the nail when he mentions Copyright. That could well be the issue.

The only gripes i had about the first two series release was the omission of the Pilot episode and only three episodes on most of the discs.Would much rather have had only two discs conatining more episodes. but i suppose from the selling point,four discs sounds better than two :)

Hector.

To be honest, I don't know why the BBC didn't bother to gather all the existing film elements and restore them. As the outdoor scenes look horrible on the first 2 series.

Series 5 and 6 look the best out of all the dvd's i've got, I don't know why, but they don't have too much grain, and are not faded, they seem just right.

I'm currently watching series 13 (the one that everything was on videotape) and it's fine, but it's just a bit odd seeing the outdoor scenes on video.

In the next few weeks i will be getting the next 2 series dvd set, and will see what the picture quality is like on that, as I believe series 14 and 15 are the first to be completely on film, which is something I wish didn't happen, as i like the indoor scenes being on video.

I don't mean to change the direction of this topic too much. I am currently watching the second season on my Public Television. I have seen Sadly I missed New Mobile Trio and Hail Smiling Morn this time around but I recall New Mobile Trio was where they were selling a sort of spray product.

Anyway, here is my question (after watching the rest of the Blamire Years I might have some deeper comments)

I read a lot of praise for New Mobile Trio, Of Funerals and Fish, and Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe here. I personally think Short Back and Palais Glide is GREAT. I also enjoyed Pate and Chips a lot.

Thoughts anyone, or do you think those were just average?

I don't mean to change the direction of this topic too much. I am currently watching the second season on my Public Television. I have seen Sadly I missed New Mobile Trio and Hail Smiling Morn this time around but I recall New Mobile Trio was where they were selling a sort of spray product.

Anyway, here is my question (after watching the rest of the Blamire Years I might have some deeper comments)

I read a lot of praise for New Mobile Trio, Of Funerals and Fish, and Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe here. I personally think Short Back and Palais Glide is GREAT. I also enjoyed Pate and Chips a lot.

New Mobile Trio was where they bought the car. The spray product episode was The changing face of rural Blamire.

They were still good,just different.IMO episodes like The Changing Face... and The New Mobile Trio were lcues as to what the show would later become

I think the first half of the first series was quite different to the second half. The second half has more typical LOTSW themes like Nora Batty, old cars and photography.

One of the great things about the Blamire episodes is that they are so old now, and the cast look so young, and it's pure nostalgia.

I think the first half of the first series was quite different to the second half. The second half has more typical LOTSW themes like Nora Batty, old cars and photography.

One of the great things about the Blamire episodes is that they are so old now, and the cast look so young, and it's pure nostalgia.

I agree with you entirely WSTOL,

Actually I think it was just after Inventor of the 40 Foot Ferret that they went more in the direction of the show as we know it (not necessarily the physical comedy but situational comedy). Even with the genius of Clarke, perhaps there was only so much that could be done with purely dialogue driven comedy.

And yes, the nostalgia is great, not to mention how good it is to see Clegg very youthful compared to how I just saw him in Series 31.

Yes, I like the nostalgia of this era, too. When I'm really in the mood for SW
I usually go to the earlier series.

Everything looks grittier and the buildings all look dark with soot,also everyone looks grotty with poor quality clothes. Can remember going up to yorkshire in the sixties regularily, enjoyed it, so different from the soft south ,lots of factories and smoking chimneys with long queues at bus stops.Seeing the lads wandering around is great as things were cheaper then ,fish and chips 1/6d fried in lard as well .Ah memories they were the days young and fancy free and a mini van! :D :D :D :D :D

Yes, I like the nostalgia of this era, too. When I'm really in the mood for SW
I usually go to the earlier series.

Yes when i watch summerwine i always start with first of the summer wine then onto Blamire years and then every episode in order takes quite a while but when you get though them all you look forward to watching them again.

Yes when i watch summerwine i always start with first of the summer wine then onto Blamire years and then every episode in order .

We are doing that as well, for maybe the third pass. Are now
up to Series 25 Who's That Mouse in the Poetry Group.

But just one a night, mind.

chuck

Back