The ashes

American confused. What happened? I don't understand the rules of the game but I'm guessing what happened wasn't supposed to happen? Or maybe I'm wrong. Someone explain.

Anyone got an opinion on the Johnny Bairstow incident? It's certainly provoking a lot of opinion :22:
I was glued to the TV yesterday what a player Ben Stokes is! Definitely his stumping was within the rules of the game but probably not within the spirit of the game! That said Bairstow was pretty stupid to walk out of his crease before the umpire had called the end of the over. Will certainly turn up the heat for the remainder of The Ashes!!!!!

American confused. What happened? I don't understand the rules of the game but I'm guessing what happened wasn't supposed to happen? Or maybe I'm wrong. Someone explain.
I suppose baseball in the US is the nearest comparison there is to cricket, still very different though. The incident here was controversial, a clash between the rules and the spirit of the game

how does the expression "It's just not cricket" fare now??

Just to be clear I don't give a toss, its just a game between boys with bats and balls, nothing to get excited about!

I think I should have started getting that thermonuclear bunker built before I said the above!! :13: :13: :13: :12:

Its in the rules so whilst not ethical don't think for one minute that England wouldn't have done the same despite Stokes's words to the contrary . The Gin swillers got their just desserts , they should be made to stand in front of the MCC whilst the chairman takes some scissors and cuts their beloved red and yellow striped tie in half :08:;):):):)

how does the expression "It's just not cricket" fare now??

Just to be clear I don't give a toss, its just a game between boys with bats and balls, nothing to get excited about!

I think I should have started getting that thermonuclear bunker built before I said the above!! :13: :13: :13: :12:
Bats balls and blokes.
I say this having once had a compo in the face.

Bats balls and blokes.
I say this having once had a compo in the face.
Ouch!

Another twist on the subject: During World War II the pilot of a plane with its engine on fire just managed to land in a field adjacent to a village cricket match. He climbed out of the cockpit commenting acidly to his ground crew about risking his life while the players frittered theirs away on a mere game. One of the ground crew said, "Sir, that's what we're fighting for."

Since reading about that incident, I've had an affection for cricket as the epitome of ordinary British life, even though I don't understand it. (Don't understand baseball, either, and have no interest in it. Probably un-American of me!)

Its in the rules so whilst not ethical don't think for one minute that England wouldn't have done the same despite Stokes's words to the contrary . The Gin swillers got their just desserts , they should be made to stand in front of the MCC whilst the chairman takes some scissors and cuts their beloved red and yellow striped tie in half :08:;):):):)
Whilst I normally agree with you on most things, I see this differently I don't think England would have done the same. Earlier in the day the ball hit Stokes' bat whilst he was running back to the crease and went out towards the boundry (just like in the world cup) the laws would have allowed him to take another run, but he didn't as it's not convention.
But we will never know so you could well have been right CC!!! :) :) :)

Its just opinions as you say we will never know Barry but do you concur re the Gin swillers ? Cutting the ties will be symbolic like in the military when they bust down or force out soldiers where they remove their stripes and cut off their buttons.

Its just opinions as you say we will never know Barry but do you concur re the Gin swillers ? Cutting the ties will be symbolic like in the military when they bust down or force out soldiers where they remove their stripes and cut off their buttons.
Yes I completely agree about the MCC members, it's only a sport at the end of the day and they over-stepped the mark. Remember who the president of the MCC currently is? Stephen Fry! He should dress up as General Melchett and try them as the tried Blackadder when he was accused of killing his pigeon :D

Yes I completely agree about the MCC members, it's only a sport at the end of the day and they over-stepped the mark. Remember who the president of the MCC currently is? Stephen Fry! He should dress up as General Melchett and try them as the tried Blackadder when he was accused of killing his pigeon :D
I listened to Stephen Fry interviewed on BBC radio during the test and he sounded like he lives in mortal fear of people seeing him as the negative MCC member stereotype. He spoke so well, a very genial, likable man.

I listened to Stephen Fry interviewed on BBC radio during the test and he sounded like he lives in mortal fear of people seeing him as the negative MCC member stereotype. He spoke so well, a very genial, likable man.
I listened to that very same interview on TMS and came to exactly the same conclusions as you. As you chucked down the hand grenade what's your view on the Bairstow incident yourself!!?

I listened to that very same interview on TMS and came to exactly the same conclusions as you. As you chucked down the hand grenade what's your view on the Bairstow incident yourself!!?
I think the whole "It's just not cricket" thing is long gone. I do think that in a similar situation England would have done the same thing, but I felt sorry for Bairstow, not least for the way he picked up the Stop Oil protester and carried him off under his arm. He should have been given a free 50 runs for that!

as an aussie can someone kidnap warner and tie him up and leave him in a barn in some backwater..
how that bloke gets another go is beyond me.. he must have incriminating photos of someone.

as an aussie can someone kidnap warner and tie him up and leave him in a barn in some backwater..
how that bloke gets another go is beyond me.. he must have incriminating photos of someone.
If Broad was not in the England bowling attack you might not be saying that!!! :D

Fourth test starts Thursday I believe. Jimmy Anderson is back and with Stuart Broad. It's a very aging attack but experienced.

Back