Tell us something interesting about where you live...

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking that we have members from all over the UK and the world, I'd be fascinated to know some interesting facts from members about where they live.

I'm proud to live in Shropshire, which is the largest inland county in the UK, it also has the lowest density of population in England, it was the birthplace of Charles Darwin and the modern day Olympics were started in Shropshire (Much Wenlock to be precise)

I was thinking that we have members from all over the UK and the world, I'd be fascinated to know some interesting facts from members about where they live.

I'm proud to live in Shropshire, which is the largest inland county in the UK, it also has the lowest density of population in England, it was the birthplace of Charles Darwin and the modern day Olympics were started in Shropshire (Much Wenlock to be precise)
Working on this Barry. I'm sure there must be something good about this area, apart from the fact that I was born here, :08:....

I'm from the Toon home of the people who don't wear coats . Parking Football , there are so so many things I could share but Newcastle is the home of Comedian Bobby Thompson the Little Waster . He was an absolute huge star up here and a real Gentleman . There was a very short period of time when he was recognised Nationally and even appeared on Wogan . Terry was just bemused didn't understand a word he said but laughed when he thought he should .

When my Gran was 64 we all trouped along to the local Social Club and Bobby happened to be on . After the show having told his manager earlier in the night it was her birthday after the show he came over and wished her a happy birthday, bought her a drink and signed a pound note, it really made her night and ours . His show was just brilliant its one of my favourite DVD's in my collection and I play it frequently but anyone South of the Tyne would probably struggle to understand it . Here is a picture of him and the pound note which we were gifted when my Gran passed away . Sadly Bobby died and over 2000 people attended his funeral and the rest of Newcastle turned out to say goodbye to our local treasure.

wor bob.jpg bin lid.jpg

I'm from the Toon home of the people who don't wear coats . Parking Football , there are so so many things I could share but Newcastle is the home of Comedian Bobby Thompson the Little Waster . He was an absolute huge star up here and a real Gentleman . There was a very short period of time when he was recognised Nationally and even appeared on Wogan . Terry was just bemused didn't understand a word he said but laughed when he thought he should .

When my Gran was 64 we all trouped along to the local Social Club and Bobby happened to be on . After the show having told his manager earlier in the night it was her birthday after the show he came over and wished her a happy birthday, bought her a drink and signed a pound note, it really made her night and ours . His show was just brilliant its one of my favourite DVD's in my collection and I play it frequently but anyone South of the Tyne would probably struggle to understand it . Here is a picture of him and the pound note which we were gifted when my Gran passed away . Sadly Bobby died and over 2000 people attended his funeral and the rest of Newcastle turned out to say goodbye to our local treasure.

View attachment 4078 View attachment 4079
That's a lovely poignant story, he looks vaguely familiar was he on the 1970's series The Comedians?

@ferret Wow didn't know you lived in Alderley Edge, the uber posh part of Cheshire home of Sir Alec Ferguson I do believe? There's a claim to fame in itself!

That's a lovely poignant story, he looks vaguely familiar was he on the 1970's series The Comedians?

@ferret Wow didn't know you lived in Alderley Edge, the uber posh part of Cheshire home of Sir Alec Ferguson I do believe? There's a claim to fame in itself!

:) we live in the poor part. The village has changed in the last 10 years since the footballers have moved in. All the old houses have been levelled and great big monstrosities built. The main road has been taken over by trendy restaurants and bars that are frequented by orange hued females from the South of Manchester. I stick to my local Club where you can still get a game of snooker/pool/dominoes/darts/bowls if you feel the urge. The beer is also half the price of anywhere else in the village. I’m happy in there with my dogs sat under the table chewing the fat with my mates. Before all the footballers moved in I think our most famous son was David Coleman.

There's an abundance of famous people from Rotherham but I will stick to those three who have appeared in LOTSW. The first is Danny James who battled with Compo at thumpy dub on the bridge. He appeared in at least three episodes. The next one is Duggie Brown who played Vernie Sedgewick, the purveyor of questionable magazines. He was the brother of Lynne Perrie who played Ivy Tilsley in Coronation Street for many years. The third one is yours truly, who of course, was taken aback by Foggy's attire at the bus stop. Oh, how much more famouser can you get than that, waiting for a bus in 'Destiny and Six Bananas'. :37:

I liked the Chuckle Brothers Captain. Their humour was different and always made me laugh. I do believe that one of them lived a few streets away for a while. Their smiles were infectious.
To you from me :D:p

Back