Summer Wine in other countries?

LOOOOOOOOL, I love the ears, Chuff! At the moment you better take a photo of an albino, I have got a pink eye, or rather two, very annoying and painful.

Beautifull and I would love to have one or two of those. But here it wouldn't live long unless it had a hutch with a/c. Lovely creature..

I stand corrected, "Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is a Seymour episode and he is about to make his introduction sometime next week. I will keep a look out for this episode.

Its a very funny episode, they talk alot about "Yanks". What I would like to know is how do you feel about being called a "Yank"? And do you still call us Brits "Limies"? Its just a friendly question, I find interresting how other countrys see us and how you feel about how we see you. :)
I am from Texas and don't mind being called a Yank - although I normally associate Yank with someone from New York as they have the baseball team called the New York Yankees. I usually just say British people ;D

I stand corrected, "Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is a Seymour episode and he is about to make his introduction sometime next week. I will keep a look out for this episode.

Its a very funny episode, they talk alot about "Yanks". What I would like to know is how do you feel about being called a "Yank"? And do you still call us Brits "Limies"? Its just a friendly question, I find interresting how other countrys see us and how you feel about how we see you. :)
I am from Texas and don't mind being called a Yank - although I normally associate Yank with someone from New York as they have the baseball team called the New York Yankees. I usually just say British people ;D

In the war all Americans were called "Yanks" Not that was alive then of cause ;D

Its a very funny episode, they talk alot about "Yanks". What I would like to know is how do you feel about being called a "Yank"? And do you still call us Brits "Limey's"? Its just a friendly question, I find interresting how other countries see us and how you feel about how we see you. :)

I'm from Virginia and I don't mind being called a Yank. And I thought that it was a well known fact that Brits are called Limeys. And just for the record, I have truly great fondness for Yorkshire. And I (and many others) don't think that the distance is all that great. And yes, it could be a hard pill to swallow for a Texan to be called a Yank.

I'm from Virginia and I don't mind being called a Yank. And I thought that it was a well known fact that Brits are called Limeys. And just for the record, I have truly great fondness for Yorkshire. And I (and many others) don't think that the distance is all that great. And yes, it could be a hard pill to swallow for a Texan to be called a Yank.

Interesting - in my travels in the USA I have always kept away from using the term Yank. I did think Virginia particularly sensitive to the term, being very much part of the Confederacy. It is only on looking into this have I realised Texas was Confederate also - I thought it one somewhat neutral.

The term Limey is now very dated. Most folk I dealt with use the term Brit. I must confess to struggling over the word American for citizens of the USA. In a sense Canadians and Chilians are just as much Americans. Mind, it would now be impossible to use anything else.

Interesting - in my travels in the USA I have always kept away from using the term Yank. I did think Virginia particularly sensitive to the term, being very much part of the Confederacy. It is only on looking into this have I realised Texas was Confederate also - I thought it one somewhat neutral.

The term Limey is now very dated. Most folk I dealt with use the term Brit. I must confess to struggling over the word American for citizens of the USA. In a sense Canadians and Chilians are just as much Americans. Mind, it would now be impossible to use anything else.

Yes, the term, Limeys must be outdated. I am in my 30's and never heard of the term. As for the term, "Yank". It is traditionally referring to someone from the Northeast US. True, Big Unc, it wouldn't have been wise to travel to the southeast US and call people Yanks! A lot of traditional Southerners would take offense to that. Now there are those here in the forum from the South that wouldn't mind it. Generally, I believe Americans that follow Britcoms, like Summer Wine are opn-minded and somewhat worldly. Those folks are beyond worrying about silly terms.

Of course Chuck and others can correct me if I am wrong!

As we here in the US move along in life we find more
southern folks moving north, east, or west, and more
northern folks moving south, etc, etc.

As an example, the first 20-some-odd years of my life
were spent "Up North." Then I moved south and I
became a North Carolinian.

Regional put-downs mean so much less as
we become so much more mobile.

Terms like Yank and Reb have mostly lost meaning.

I think the expession Limeys came from the Limehouse area of London, I will look it up, and isn't there a song 'The Yanks Are Coming'. I myself am eternally grateful that they did.

I think the expession Limeys came from the Limehouse area of London, I will look it up, and isn't there a song 'The Yanks Are Coming'. I myself am eternally grateful that they did.

Have to disagree - never heard that one before. Originated from Royal Navy use of lime juice to prevent scurvy.

Great subject! I too grew up in the north (Pittsburgh) then moved south. When I moved here I got a lot of the "oh, your a Yankee" but over the years its not as much.
The term Yank has never bothered me, up home, I did hear my folks talk about him or her being a "limey" but not down here. We just say "Brits"
One of my best friends is from Newcastle Australia. He used to call us Sepos, due to the fact that Yanks rhymes with septic tank, therefore Sepos was born. However he now realizes we are not so bad. :)
His friend moved here from Newcastle a few years after he came over and when he got off the plane we asked him what do you want to see? He said he wanted to see a trailer park and a Waffle House, then he wanted to go buy a pickup truck (lorry). :)
He was surprised that all off us are not like the folks you see on The Jerry Springer show.
I truly hate that. We are not like that at all (well most of us). It really made me realize a lot talking with them and their wives. Are Americans really looked at like that throughout the world????

We are all seen in a bad light by some one. I hate the way we British are shown as posh talking dimwits in a lot of American TV shows. Columbo, and Bones, were classic. Any of you who have seen LOTSW know better. I live in the South of England, and I hate the way Northern shows portray us as Southern Softies. They didn't know my old friend 'Kipper Lynch' !

I think we all have to suffer the cliches in other countries. I once heard of a German boy participating in a student exchange, when he arrived in the USA, he was greeted by cheerful people waving a Nazi flag and thinking we still had all that and they would give him a pleasant welcome. Needless to say the boy was very bewildered. And we are not all Bavarians in leather trousers either, we don´t all like beer and Sauerkraut (yuk to both!)
Cliches are powerful things, I guess we have to get used to the fact that many people will never drop them and bother to find out about reality.

We are all seen in a bad light by some one. I hate the way we British are shown as posh talking dimwits in a lot of American TV shows. Columbo, and Bones, were classic. Any of you who have seen LOTSW know better. I live in the South of England, and I hate the way Northern shows portray us as Southern Softies. They didn't know my old friend 'Kipper Lynch' !

I agree Sue, I live now in the southern part of the US, however I was raised in the North. My old friends are the same about the softy side if it. Also there is a huge difference in the accent from the North to the South. Southern folks are labeled not as intelligent as Northern folks because of the accent, but that is incorrect.
Question. I notice in shows and such British folk seem quite polite and have good manners. Is that true throughout? I know there might be some exceptions, but overall are you raised as a child to be polite to others? Sorry if this sounds odd. I am overwhelmed how rude folks are here.
My brother-in-law frequents London and he was telling me that folks are very polite. If they bump into you its "sorry" and such. He also said that excuse me and pardon me have different meanings than here in the states.

I think we all have to suffer the cliches in other countries. I once heard of a German boy participating in a student exchange, when he arrived in the USA, he was greeted by cheerful people waving a Nazi flag and thinking we still had all that and they would give him a pleasant welcome. Needless to say the boy was very bewildered. And we are not all Bavarians in leather trousers either, we don´t all like beer and Sauerkraut (yuk to both!)
Cliches are powerful things, I guess we have to get used to the fact that many people will never drop them and bother to find out about reality.
I agree folks get those ideas.Quite a shame on the Nazi flag thing, that is terrible, Gosh I didn't think folks here were like that,Ughh.
In Georgia,USA there is a Bavarian style town called Helen. You can check it out on the net if you want, but we have gone there a few times and my kids always say that they would not want to live in Bavaria because they wouldn't want to have to dress like that :)

During my time in the marines I had a few chances to spend time with US marines whilst on joint exercise's and I can assure you the "friendly" banter of old is very much still alive on both sides of the pond ;D

We are all seen in a bad light by some one. I hate the way we British are shown as posh talking dimwits in a lot of American TV shows. Colombo, and Bones, were classic. Any of you who have seen LOTSW know better. I live in the South of England, and I hate the way Northern shows portray us as Southern Softies. They didn't know my old friend 'Kipper Lynch' !

I agree Sue, I live now in the southern part of the US, however I was raised in the North. My old friends are the same about the softy side if it. Also there is a huge difference in the accent from the North to the South. Southern folks are labeled not as intelligent as Northern folks because of the accent, but that is incorrect.
Question. I notice in shows and such British folk seem quite polite and have good manners. Is that true throughout? I know there might be some exceptions, but overall are you raised as a child to be polite to others? Sorry if this sounds odd. I am overwhelmed how rude folks are here.
My brother-in-law frequents London and he was telling me that folks are very polite. If they bump into you its "sorry" and such. He also said that excuse me and pardon me have different meanings than here in the states.
[/quote

The people who I find to be the rudest are, surprisingly, the young women with small children. In our village there is a small cafe which the mothers use after delivering their kids to school. They congregate here with their babies. The cafe provides toys for the little ones which get spread all over the floor, fine, but when we visited last week my husband, who has a balance problem and uses a cane, found it difficult to get through to the counter. Not one of these women bothered to move, in fact we were ignored completely. What worries me is the fact that these babies will grow up doing the same. It is the swearing that worries me the most. And to answer your question, manners seem to be coming a thing of the past over here as well.

I agree folks get those ideas.Quite a shame on the Nazi flag thing, that is terrible, Gosh I didn't think folks here were like that,Ughh.
In Georgia,USA there is a Bavarian style town called Helen. You can check it out on the net if you want, but we have gone there a few times and my kids always say that they would not want to live in Bavaria because they wouldn't want to have to dress like that :)

Nobody wants to dress like that, not even in Bavaria :D. Another cliche. You wouldn´t even know you were in Bavaria, only very few people walk around like that every day, probably only in some of the little villages. I think 99,9% of all Germans would never dream of wearing such stuff, it is as if we would say "I don´t want to live in the USA, I don´t want to dress like a cowboy." That´s why I don´t like it when other parts of the world are being imitated somewhere else. I find it incredibly tacky and also untrue. A bit ridiculous. But on the other hand I can understand people´s desire to get to know their roots, it´s just that they shouldn´t mix up this sort of "Disneyland" with reality.

Nobody wants to dress like that, not even in Bavaria :D. Another cliche. You wouldn´t even know you were in Bavaria, only very few people walk around like that every day, probably only in some of the little villages. I think 99,9% of all Germans would never dream of wearing such stuff, it is as if we would say "I don´t want to live in the USA, I don´t want to dress like a cowboy." That´s why I don´t like it when other parts of the world are being imitated somewhere else. I find it incredibly tacky and also untrue. A bit ridiculous. But on the other hand I can understand people´s desire to get to know their roots, it´s just that they shouldn´t mix up this sort of "Disneyland" with reality.

Back