summer wine dads army

how many actors can you name from last of the summer wine who also appeared in dads army?

I cannot think of any at the moment but have you ever noticed that when watching even older shows the same actors appear in almost every show? It is like not many actors were availale at that time..

I do know that writers can suggest actors, Clegg was written specifically with Peter Sallis in mind for example, and thus very often the same troupe or parts of it appear in different shows: hence some of the Hi de Hi cast appeared in Oh Dr Beeching, for example as there was a common elelment in David Croft co-writing it.

As many of our clasic comedies were written by a small handful of people, David Croft and Jimmy Perry collaborated on a number for example, it is not surprising that the same actors turn up.

Also if you are a good actor, you will get more parts. Who remembers the early Frank Thornton in the Hancock classic "The Blood Donor" and I think June Whitfield was nurse. They both have had a good career.

Some actors seem to do better at comedy, thus are often seen in such roles, and example would be Stephen Lewis who has portrye some fine comic stereotypes such as Inspector Blake of 'On the Buses', as well as Smiler in SW.

Liz Fraser played Mrs Pike in the film. Kenneth Macdonald played an Army Sergeant and the singing!!! garage man in lotsw.

Without looking anything up, I can't think of anyone else who appeared in both programmes, which is surprising as at one point they were made at the same time.

I expect I'll think of someone eventually, without looking it up.

It's quite remarkable how one half pf the cast all died around the same time in the early 80s, and many others have kept going.

Survivors like Clive Dunn, Bill Pertwee and Frank Williams would have been good lead actors in LOTSW if there were any voids to fill, yet the show has never had to rely on famous faces.

I have the entire DA collection on DVD and have never noticed anyone who has appeared in SW - be it even a cameo, with the exception of the previously mentioned Blake Butler and Janet Davis. Which as many say is surprising.
I think there were more in Open All Hours and that to my mind was Six,
Kathy Staff.
Maggie Ollerenshaw.
Frances Cox. -'Happy Anniversary Gough and Jessie','The Suit That Turned left' & 'Flower Power Cut'. She played Mrs Parslow in OAH (5 episodes)
Linda Barron.
Alan Starkey-'Here We Go Again Into The Wild Blue Yonder' and Thorndyke in OAH.
Juliet Cooke-Mavis- 'and A Dewhurst Up A Fir Tree'. Eva in OAH

Back