Street Party

Ess

Dedicated Member
Are any of my British friends having a party for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Until last week we thought we were not going to bother, but 'Jubilee Fever' caught us up and we are having a small celebration in our garden with our neighbours. This is 'Bring a Cake and a Bottle' sort of do. I have bunting and balloons etc. There are not many of us in our lane so it will not involve too much organisation. I would love to know if anyone else is doing something similar.

This Saturday there is a small party in one of the neighbours gardens,they have stuck the bunting up along the street,I expect it will be the noisiest it has been since the last Jubilee,I suspect the wildlife will join in,we have plenty of Birds,ducks,Rabbits,Hares,Swans etc that will be wondering what is going on

That sounds nice. We would do more but we can't afford insurance!! Dare I ask where abouts you live? We are on the Surrey/Hampshire border in a small village. For the Silver Jubilee we had a big affair on the village green, hog roast, children's games etc, this year nothing much at all. Elf and Safety strike again.

My Mum likes all of this Royal pomp and ceremony business, so has gone out and bought bunting and balloons and paper plates and all that, so we are having an outside 'do' on Monday where some of the neighbours will no doubt pop in. I think it's a buffet BBQ job, so Dad will be cooking,, I'll be boiling new potatoes and doing a bit of salad and looking after the drinks, while Mum does the preparation and decorations.
I'm just hoping that the weather holds out as Mum is looking forward to it, so a bit of Sunshine would be nice so we can stay outside.

That sounds nice. We would do more but we can't afford insurance!! Dare I ask where abouts you live? We are on the Surrey/Hampshire border in a small village. For the Silver Jubilee we had a big affair on the village green, hog roast, children's games etc, this year nothing much at all. Elf and Safety strike again.

We live in the flatlands of Lincolnshire and few miles north of Lincoln, it is on a park just for retired people though at the entrance gates it does say asylum

We live in the flatlands of Lincolnshire and few miles north of Lincoln, it is on a park just for retired people though at the entrance gates it does say asylum

A 'Sanitorium' for those who need 'help' he means.

We have put up some bunting but noone else in our close seems to be doing nothing,will watch on tv its cheap!er

My views on the monarchy were expressed on a different thread on this forum. So you will understand that i'm not doing anything, in fact i'm working Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. Must say though the kids had a jubilee party at school and enjoyed it. I'm not one of those who hopes it rains on the day and spoils the fun, just enjoy your parties etc.

OK, what's bunting? (as it shows, I am from across the pond)

It's a rare garden/park Bird, often found in Reeds or by water. Usually Yellow and black in colour. Except the Snow variety which is Winter visitor and mainly White with black stripes.

Only messing mate, Bunting in this sense means flags and celebratory paraphernalia.....

OK, what's bunting? (as it shows, I am from across the pond)

It's a rare garden/park Bird, often found in Reeds or by water. Usually Yellow and black in colour. Except the Snow variety which is Winter visitor and mainly White with black stripes.

Only messing mate, Bunting in this sense means flags and celebratory paraphernalia.....

Oh yes, thank you Chuffer. We have such items here for holidays. If I keep learning such British terms from this website I should gain quite an advantage over fellow Americans in Scrabble.

My views on the monarchy were expressed on a different thread on this forum. So you will understand that i'm not doing anything, in fact i'm working Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. Must say though the kids had a jubilee party at school and enjoyed it. I'm not one of those who hopes it rains on the day and spoils the fun, just enjoy your parties etc.

That is nice, thank you.

It seems they are even celebrating in Düsseldorf a bit, here in Germany, they say they will send 60 boats down the Rhine or so, but people probably won´t celebrate at their homes. If I knew when and where exactly it is, I might go to Düsseldorf tomorrow if it´s not raining.

I am in no ways a monarchist, but I wouldn't like to see other people's enjoyment spoiled by the effects of horrible weather.

Watching the pageant its great ,glad the Queen looks great as does Kate.LONG LIVE THE QUEEN.

Back