Still Open All Hours Series 5

wstol

Dedicated Member
I think Series 5 of Still Open All Hours has gone relatively unnoticed by most.

I don't think this latest series has had anything too great to offer, it's hard to distinguish these episodes from the ones before it.

Disappointing really, but there you go.

I understand there will be a Christmas Special.

I assume it would be the standard half hour, maybe an hour long special would make this show spark into life.

I honestly think Still Open All Hours has gone on for too long now. For this series for each episodes, there have been under 5 million views.
I also don't know why the BBC are remaking the lost episodes of Dad's Army! It's ridiculous!

I made a mistake about the BBC remaking the lost episodes of Dad's Army. It's actually UKTV Gold.

I had posted that information in another thread Louise and I am still of the opinion that they should just leave it alone , Still Open All Hours is a fine example of why when the series ends and the main actor sadly dies they should never continue making episodes . The most distasteful and disrespectful aspect , aside from have the Black Widow amorously chasing after Granville , is having a picture of Ronnie B as Arkwright in the back room of the set and Granville referring to it and mimicking Arkwright . I am disappointed that Roy Clarke decided to try and milk the Cash Cow. I would have thought he would have more integrity than that . I can only assume the money offered was so high he could not say no.

I think Granville is mimicking Arkwright in an affectionate way. I think I have mentioned this in another thread but thanks me getting into Open All Hours, I can laugh at my stammer. It makes my life a lot easier!

You can never replace the original Arkwright !!! That had to be one of the best acting gigs ever.
As for the Dads Army thing - I wish Jonesy could stick it up em... they dont like it up em.

I think Still Open all Hours was never much good. I would like to have seen Granville with same sort of characteristics that he had in Open all Hours.

I think Still Open all Hours was never much good. I would like to have seen Granville with same sort of characteristics that he had in Open all Hours.

Yes, although the young man often turns into the old man, I would have liked to have seen some signs of the old Granville.

It may have worked with Granville still being easy going, and the young son being a ruthless, hard-selling financial whizz kid.

What I don't like is the eternal love triangle because it is just implausible , Mavis- Granville-Delphine Featherstone. They should have brought the Milk Woman back as the third member instead of the Black Widow, that could work . I know they tried to put a spoke in his relationship with Mavis by bringing back Leroy's Mum [played by the wonderful Paula Wilcox] but that seems to have been a one off appearance.

The thing that worries me is when Granville says, "one day Leroy, the shop will be yours". I hope that they won't carry the programme on after David Jason dies because that will really upset me!

The thing that worries me is when Granville says, "one day Leroy, the shop will be yours". I hope that they won't carry the programme on after David Jason dies because that will really upset me!

Yes, this had occured to me too.

In 30 years time, Leroy will have turned into a miserly old man, and will have a son helping to run the shop.

You would hope Roy Clark at 88 would want to hang up his typewriter imminently and so Leroy's promotion would only ever happen if it was written by someone else and I cannot see that being commissioned, but never say never Dr Who et al.

Yes, although the young man often turns into the old man, I would have liked to have seen some signs of the old Granville.

It may have worked with Granville still being easy going, and the young son being a ruthless, hard-selling financial whizz kid.
If that was the case then they would not be in that part of Doncaster nor in a corner shop where there would be slim pickings ...

Back