Sport Relief

G

gill

When I got in from work last night I watched some of the Sport Relief show and saw Michael Crawford doing the Frank Spencer sketch. I thought he was brilliant, they said he did all the stunt's himself as well. It bring's back great memorie's of watching his show when we were kid's

We were in Sainsbury's Supermarket this morning and a couple of staff were discussing this. One said "... they've been doing this for years now, and don't seem to get anywhere". I think this is getting to be the general opinion, with Sport Relief, Comic Relief, Band Aid, and the rest. Unfortunately a lot of the cash aimed at third world countries seems to disappear.
The actual programme was pretty dire imo, with the Crawford sketch (which most of us were waiting for, let's be honest) held until the change over of channels.

I thought the Frank Spencer sketch was very good.

In just 10 minutes they managed to update the story, provide some homages to earlier shows, and maintain some of the flavour of the original series.

We also saw Jessica for the first time in 38 years. They decided to make her just like Frank - proving that 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em', once again.

Praise has to go to Michael Crawford for the stunts, to Michele Dotrice, and also Raymond Allen - it wasn't mentioned on Sport Relief, but the original writer returned to write this.

Very good sketch, but would I want to see a brand new series? Probably not - but never say never.

We were in Sainsbury's Supermarket this morning and a couple of staff were discussing this. One said "... they've been doing this for years now, and don't seem to get anywhere". I think this is getting to be the general opinion, with Sport Relief, Comic Relief, Band Aid, and the rest. Unfortunately a lot of the cash aimed at third world countries seems to disappear.
The actual programme was pretty dire imo, with the Crawford sketch (which most of us were waiting for, let's be honest) held until the change over of channels.
I wish I had not mentioned it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
CORRECTION. It appears Raymond Allen did not write this sketch, though he did meet Crawford when they were making this.

Michael Crawford did provide some ideas of the last series of SMDAE, so I would guess he provided many ideas for this sketch - bearing in mind it would be him doing the stunts!

CORRECTION AGAIN. ImDb does credit Allen as writing this. And he was on set. So who knows?

Anyway, it was up to the standard of the original progrrammes!

Well it seems to the old carrot and stick thing. They wish to appeal to a certain audience who will most likely open their wallets so they drag out an old show. We get that here in the US with PBS appeals. They have shows with topics that appeal to the older set with exercise mavens, 80's music (the Carpenters), financial gurus, diet gurus, etc. And they stop 2 or 3 times and run 10-15 minutes of appeals. PBS is funded partially by viewers so it is necessary that they do this, but it's irritating to be expecting to watch your favorite programs and find that they have an appeal scheduled.

Back