Spin Offers

mashibinbin

Dedicated Member
Ok so we know Cooper and Walsh had a failed sadly attempt at getting a spin off fully commissioned but given the choices from all of the casts throughout the 37 years who would you nominate for spinoff material? Equally who would you definitely tune out from?

The obvious choices took a fair chunk of the show already Pearl/Howard/Marina love triangle and the Compo/Nora "romance" . I think Auntie's shop has potential but not longevity as demonstrated by Still Open All Hours . Something with Smiler and Tom working for Auntie with occasional cameos from helper "Eli" may have fleshed out just having scenes in the shop and could have maybe gone on beyond one series .

If you can count it as a spin off, I would like to see a return of First of the Summer Wine. It would have to be different actors of course, but I am sure Roy Clarke could come up with some good scripts.

If you can count it as a spin off, I would like to see a return of First of the Summer Wine. It would have to be different actors of course, but I am sure Roy Clarke could come up with some good scripts.

At age 88, how many more good scripts can we expect Roy Clarke to have in him?

I, too, would love to see The "Middle" of the Summer Wine, picking up after the war with the characters who returned to the Holmfirth area and carried on their lives as best they could. I doubt if it will ever happen, though.

At age 88, how many more good scripts can we expect Roy Clarke to have in him?

Sadly seeing the standard of Still Open All Hours not many. Like so many mature performers/authors they seem to wish to continue until they drop which I suppose is understandable on some fronts because they strove when young and unknown to get their work recognised and they simply want to hang onto what they have .

Ronnie Barker was a rare incidence when he opted to retire and run his Antiques Shop but even he was tempted back for a few Two Ronnie's Specials . I am sure most would prefer to pass away like Tommy Cooper and Sid James , whilst they were performing . There was an article about Ken Dodd who is currently in hospital with respiratory problems and he cannot wait to get out and back on stage and he is now 90 .

I think these days TV companies don't want old school comedy, they only want reality,soaps,cooking,antiques and house makeovers plus repeats, I think if they are not careful the move to Amazon TV or Netflix will take over, people will dump their TV licence,so goodbye BBC, they only have themselves to blame, these alternatives are offering some new good quality TV along with a large catalogue of varied TV and Films all for much less than a annual TV licence, and all with no adverts.
Very little is made by the actual TV companies these days, it is all done by private production companies then sold to a TV company, these private production companies are gradually moving and selling their products to online companies like Netflix where the budgets are much better plus they can move aways from the day to day drivel that the major TV companies expect them to produce.

I think these days TV companies don't want old school comedy, they only want reality,soaps,cooking,antiques and house makeovers plus repeats, I think if they are not careful the move to Amazon TV or Netflix will take over, people will dump their TV licence,so goodbye BBC, they only have themselves to blame, these alternatives are offering some new good quality TV along with a large catalogue of varied TV and Films all for much less than a annual TV licence, and all with no adverts.
Very little is made by the actual TV companies these days, it is all done by private production companies then sold to a TV company, these private production companies are gradually moving and selling their products to online companies like Netflix where the budgets are much better plus they can move aways from the day to day drivel that the major TV companies expect them to produce.

............... in the words of Frank and Nancy " and then they go and spoil it all" by dropping an absolute gem amongst the dross............ I give you Blue Planet:)

Talking of newish Comedy just watch the start of Series 2 of Mum. I apologise if someone likes it but I just don't get it . I found it unfunny and just tedious to watch. When it was duller than dull the writer introduces two foul mouthed , cantankerous grandparents in atypical portrayal seen in many comedies but they did not detract from the sheer blandness of the whole show , unless that is the concept they are promoting . I don't think I have the will to watch Series 1 and certainly no more of this Series . If there are any avid fans who'd be willing to explain the premise of the show I am happy to listen. :(

Back