Specials… Top 5

ferret

Dedicated Member
Can we have a vote on our top 5 specials?
These are the one’s that my still be 30 minutes long but are classed as specials, either Christmas or other.
My top 5..
Getting Sam Home
Whoops
Crums
Big Day at Dream Acres…… controversial!
Small Tune on a Penny Wassail

Well, I’m now classing a special as defined in the From The Director’s Chair book by AV.
I think I may be taking this a bit too seriously but you have to have rules;):p

Well, I’m now classing a special as defined in the From The Director’s Chair book by AV.
I think I may be taking this a bit too seriously but you have to have rules;):p
Sorry to be pedantic but From The Directors Chair is Alan Bell's book, Andrew Vines book is just Last Of The Summer Wine so not sure which rule book you're using :08: :08: :08: :08:

1) Getting Sam Home
2) Uncle of the Bride
3) Crums
4) Whoops
5) What's Santa Brought for Nora Then?

Wasn't sure whether I should pick Whoops, as half hour Christmas Specials were allowed in the other voting poll - but as I didn't include it then, I shall include it NOW.

(And if I was choosing just Christmas themed episodes, I would substitute Getting Sam Home and Uncle of the Bride for All Mod Conned and Barry's Christmas.)

Last edited:
1.Whoops
2.Crums
3.Uncle of the Bride
4. Getting Sam Home
5. I was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies [because I had to badger UKTV with countless mails before they conceded they had made a mistake and eventually screened the episode . Initially they said that they would not show Christmas specials out of season because people did not appreciate seeing them during summer months so I pointed out yes it was broadcast on New Years Eve but wasn't a Christmas episode and by omitting it you don't see how Hobbo joined the group . In they end they said there was a mistake with the distributors and the episode had been omitted from their download and so it appeared in the next iteration of the run through the series]

1.Whoops
2.Crums
3.Uncle of the Bride
4. Getting Sam Home
5. I was a Hitman for Primrose Dairies [because I had to badger UKTV with countless mails before they conceded they had made a mistake and eventually screened the episode . Initially they said that they would not show Christmas specials out of season because people did not appreciate seeing them during summer months so I pointed out yes it was broadcast on New Years Eve but wasn't a Christmas episode and by omitting it you don't see how Hobbo joined the group . In they end they said there was a mistake with the distributors and the episode had been omitted from their download and so it appeared in the next iteration of the run through the series]

Yet UKTV is owned by the BBC so they should of known better

1.Whoops
2.Crums
3.Uncle of the Bride
4. Getting Sam Home
You're our very own Citizen Smith aren't you CC :p

Well, I would probably have:

A Merry Heatwave (Contrary to what some people think, I treat that as a special as it is Christmas themed)
Crums
The Man who nearly knew Pavorotti
A Leg Up for Christmas

Well, I would probably have:

A Merry Heatwave (Contrary to what some people think, I treat that as a special as it is Christmas themed)
Crums
The Man who nearly knew Pavorotti
A Leg Up for Christmas

I think it was Big Unc who pointed out that A Merry Heatwave ran for 35 minutes, so that can definitely be considered as a Christmas Special in my book.

It is confusing because it appears part way through a series.

I think it was Big Unc who pointed out that A Merry Heatwave ran for 35 minutes, so that can definitely be considered as a Christmas Special in my book.

It is confusing because it appears part way through a series.
Wether it was a special or not is a point that has confused alot of people, including myself.

I’m just going from if they are listed as specials in the Alan Bell book. Usually single Christmas episodes or extended or stand alone episodes.

I can’t decide lol I will get back on this but I have to admit I was sad when Compo passed but the more I watch them I have bought the full compilation I find myself absolutely loving Thora Hird and sad when she’s no longer in it

Back