Something Odd

A nice picture of the ladies. Good to see them all with a warm smile on their faces instead of a scowl.

Are you referring to the Open / Closed sign? It looks like they are having a private gathering instead of being open to customers. Ivy left some Styrofoam cups on a nearby table while they all drink from nice cups -gasp- :oops:.

A nice picture of the ladies. Good to see them all with a warm smile on their faces instead of a scowl.

Are you referring to the Open / Closed sign? It looks like they are having a private gathering instead of being open to customers. Ivy left some Styrofoam cups on a nearby table while they all drink from nice cups -gasp- :oops:.

It's the Styrofoam cups, never seen them used in the series, but as this is a studio shot, I wonder if crew or cast left them on the table, and Alan snapped the picture without spotting them

Assuming the Styrofoam cups on the OTHER table are for the crew, and the
open/closed sign is Open from the outside to let customers in.

It's the Styrofoam cups, never seen them used in the series, but as this is a studio shot, I wonder if crew or cast left them on the table, and Alan snapped the picture without spotting them
I have just watched the episode How Errol Flynn Discovered the Secret Scar of Nora Batty and Ivy brought them when they all went out into the Greenwood.

If you are a Male I think what is really scary about the picture is that you are between the ladies and the door and you can't get out.
Roz seems to know what is going to happen but is trying hard not to say anything in case she gives the game away.
Glenda seems to be enjoying the tension that you are under.
Pearl has got a look on her face that says she has just thought of a scheme that Howard nor you are going to like.
But the scariest has to be the looks on Nora and Ivy's faces. It seems they are genuinely pleased to see you and that is the scariest look of them all. :(

Since Ivy is holding a desert plate it could be possible they are smiling because Edie is not there to snatch the best desert away before the rest have a chance!

I noticed that on my last play through Edie is very quick on the deserts. Often swooping in from off camera to grab the prized desert. Also, that Ivy gets in quite a few digs at Nora and her hats over the years.

I think that this is the infamous cake offering in the Cafe when it was Nora who had first choice and it was a Cream Horn [which this looks like although Nora is holding something different in the shot] . Ivy had cunningly cut off the tip so when Nora picked it up she only got a small section from the narrow end and Ivy scoffed the bulk of it .

cake3.jpg

I think that this is the infamous cake offering in the Cafe when it was Nora who had first choice and it was a Cream Horn [which this looks like although Nora is holding something different in the shot] . Ivy had cunningly cut off the tip so when Nora picked it up she only got a small section from the narrow end and Ivy scoffed the bulk of it .

View attachment 2424
Captain Clutterbuck, the cake that Ivy has got is different. Ivy's looks like a roly poly of some sort with strawberries on top of it. The picture you've posted shows a much nicer treat. It makes my mouth water. :37:

I agree the picture I posted looks nice but I saved the photo of Ivy and the ladies and zoomed in . I am pretty sure Nora is holding a different piece of cake and that the plate Ivy is holding is the one from that episode where she cuts the end of the cream horn off which Nora subsequently picks up . Given the polystyrene cups this is clearly a pre-film photograph and not a shot from the show .

I think the ladies are preparing for the take using said cream horn cake , perhaps they know what the joke is going to be hence the smiles . When you zoom in you can see the cake on the plate has puff pastry which is what cream horns are made of . If I could only recall the episode I could take a screen shot of the scene and compare.

Speaking of something odd , I was at the Sage Gateshead today and on the table adjacent to me were a group of senior would be ukulele players who were sat having tea and a strum before their lesson . Sadly with anywhere musical and musicians are involved, it was very much a case of musical chairs .

The lady who was clearing the tables and was about straighten everything up did thank me for the offer but said she could manage . Being a Gentlemen I did offer to play Chopsticks on the grand piano they have in the foyer[you can see the piano leg on the right of the picture] in a bid to get the chairs moving again and hopefully returned to the correct tables but the lady opted for the traditional method of moving back to their rightful place by brute force. :)

IMG_1863.JPG

Actually Rick I have never played a piano in my life much as I would love to do so . I have a very good friend who learned when he was younger but told no one . When we were out socially in Newcastle there are one or two pubs which have pianos in them and he provided the biggest surprise ever to my friends and I by lifting the lid and knocking out a very good rendition of the Beatles Lady Madonna , queue nine synchronised jaw drops akin to the ladies drinking their coffee .The offer to the chair tidying lady was only an enhancement to the joke about musical chairs .:)

Since it was Alan Bell taking the photo, you can see smiles of appreciation (except Rose) in working with him for all those many years.

Back