Something I noted wihile watching one of the christmas specials

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
While watching Merry Entwistle and Jackson Day or possibly A Tale Of Two Sweaters,I spotted a dog running past Clegg's door.Unscripted no doubt

Yes I noticed that CW. I meant to reverse it and take another look but got interupted and forgot.

I noted that also, but I thought this was filmed in the studio certainly the scenery outside the house when viewed through the door looked like a painted backdrop not the actual outdoors we associate with Clegg's House .I am sure someone posted a thread confirming that because of Clegg and Truly's age they had built an interior of Norman's house and used a backdrop for any shots inside the house looking outside . I just cannot recall the series that they started to use that method of shooting the scenes , certainly I would have thought both Christmas episodes tagged onto series 26 and 27 is probably late enough to have been shot as I described . If that is correct then I imagine a trained dog was sent into shot by its trainer as a bona-fide part of the scene.

I noted that also, but I thought this was filmed in the studio certainly the scenery outside the house when viewed through the door looked like a painted backdrop not the actual outdoors we associate with Clegg's House .I am sure someone posted a thread confirming that because of Clegg and Truly's age they had built an interior of Norman's house and used a backdrop for any shots inside the house looking outside . I just cannot recall the series that they started to use that method of shooting the scenes , certainly I would have thought both Christmas episodes tagged onto series 26 and 27 is probably late enough to have been shot as I described . If that is correct then I imagine a trained dog was sent into shot by its trainer as a bona-fide part of the scene.

Chuck will probably confirm this when he sees the thread as he was personally acquainted with the dog. That was a local dog who just happened to run past while the camera was on. And yes, the interior shots were filmed on a stage set with a green screen so they could add the exterior background to them.

Chuck was personally acquainted with the dog.

Yes, that was Archie. Lived next door to Clegg's home
up above Jackson Bridge. Loved to play and romp in the
large open (parking??) area in front of the houses.

I believe that the woman who owned Archie owned Clegg's
house as well. We often stopped by to play with Archie
when walking to Jackson Bridge from Holmfirth. A lovely
and friendly dog.

chuck

When we discussed this some time ago, Terry asked Alan Bell about it. Here's what Terry posted.

I had a reply from Alan Bell today which I have pasted below, it was as I suspected that it was done in the studio with some clever blue screen background shot on location

I only once filmed inside Clegg's - but it was more on the doorstep than being actually inside. I was pleased to hear that the dog had given a studio scene the appearance of reality' It was just an experiment to have the green screen outside Clegg's door in the studio - and a background (filmed separately) instead of the usual painted background. It even fooled one of the BBC engineers who asked - "Are you filming the interiors on location now?" It was just that the dog made it so much more realistic.

Back