Six Nations Rugby

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Ireland, England and France to win this first weekend.

Any advance?

Wouldn't it be a turn up if Italy were to beat France. (I support any team playing against France!)

I'm quite pleased to be Welsh, but I think we'd have a better chance walking to Jupiter than beating Ireland tomorrow.

I'm quite pleased to be Welsh, but I think we'd have a better chance walking to Jupiter than beating Ireland tomorrow.
YE OF LITTLE FAITH! :eek: I thought you Welsh were more optimistic than that! Englands coach says we are going to play more like The All Blacks tomorrow so at least he's confident!! ;)

I always expect the worst of my teams. Comes from being a Liverpool supporter!!! ;D ;D

My eldest daughters mother in law is a very proud Welsh woman who love's rugby, she's at the game in Wales now. She dragged me along to a match once trying to convert me! Never again !! ::) ;D

Well, going as predicted. Two great matches with no disgrace to any of the four teams.

One reservation - I was far from impressed with the officials at Cardiff, particularly the second Ireland sin-binning. Felt Ireland more than deserved to win after that.

think both results went as they should today...as for italy beating france, well how cool would that be...pretty unlikely....having said that i have a soft spot for italy, they have improved enormously since they made the sixth nation and they always play with such passion with a never say die attitude, more than can be said for some of the others...

Can I ask a silly question? I know its called six nations because there are six country's playing but why are there only six?

Can I ask a silly question? I know its called six nations because there are six country's playing but why are there only six?

Two parameters. First the standard of rugby of which a particular nation is capable. Way back it started with the four home nations. Around 1910 France was considered to have reached required standard to be competitive and it became the Five Nations (1910). In 2000 it was considered Italy had become strong enough and it became the Six Nations. But Italy still struggle and it is considered unusual for them to beat any of the other sides. One fantastic year they just beat France (2011) and they have beaten Scotland more than once but I don't think they have ever beaten England, Wales or Ireland. But they are getting better year by year.

Similar situation in southern hemisphere - it was the big three, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. Now Argentina have just joined and they will become a force to be reckoned with.

Second parameter - club rugby. All the players are employed by their club. The fact that their are Six Nations means each plays five matches. Takes the players out of action for their clubs for at least six week. If there were more nations in the competition it would be longer. And the Six Nations are not the only international matches. In addition there are matches in the autumn which are very much north versus southern hemisphere games.

good heavens italy who would have guessed that result...

The one prediction (from three) I got wrong but absolutely delighted. Meant that the three teams I wanted to win this weekend did so. (I might live in Scotland but do not support Scotland - I leave that to my son who is half Scottish, quarter English and quarter Irish).

That win today was Italy's tenth since they came into the Six Nations for the 2000 competition, if my research is correct. I list there wins as follows:
2013: Italy 23 – 18 France
2012: Italy 13 – 06 Scotland
2011: Italy 22 – 21 France
2010: Italy 16 – 12 Scotland
2008: Italy 23 – 20 Scotland
2007: Scotland 17 – 37 Italy
2007: Italy 23 – 20 Wales
2004: Italy 20 – 14 Scotland
2003: Italy 30 – 22 Wales
2000: Italy 34 – 20 Scotland
Means they have beaten Scotland six times, once, their only away win, at Murrayfield. They have beaten both France and Wales twice.

Absolutely delighted for Italy,great result for the six nations and European rugby

Should have said, it was a great weekend of rugby. All six teams contributed and the result in all three was pretty open until relatively late in the three matches.

Very hard to call today/this weekend after lastweekend's results.

Let's go for Scotland and France both with home advantage.

Always feel torn over England Ireland. If it was at Twickenham would say england without hesitation. feel they will just do it even in Dublin. But it will be close.

after a poor time since last season it was good to see the welsh lads get stuck in.....doubly pleasing it was against the french...i think the result of tomorrows game will flag up this years champions, and the only sides still able to win the grand slam... :)

after a poor time since last season it was good to see the welsh lads get stuck in.....doubly pleasing it was against the french...i think the result of tomorrows game will flag up this years champions, and the only sides still able to win the grand slam... :)

Very much concur. Very pleased to have my prediction proved wrong on this one. Mind, I thought both teams played poorly up to the last ten minutes when Wales woke up.

Very hard to call today/this weekend after last weekend's results.

Always feel torn over England Ireland. If it was at Twickenham would say england without hesitation. feel they will just do it even in Dublin. But it will be close.

Well, I certainly got that one right - great contest though not great rugby.

Back