Sid's fish & chip van

Re: Sid's fish & chip van

It was mentioned a few times but I don't recall seeing it again.

I think it was just a one off. Ivy couldn't be at the Cafe and selling fish and Chips.. Can you imagine if she left Sid doing the fish and chips? Especially with the trio around. I woudln't see any profit... LOL

In the second series (I think it was Wind Instruments) it was revealed Sid and Ivy were saving up for a mobile chip van (around the time the novel of Getting Sam Home was written). From the third series there was a van, but not anything like the one in Getting Sam Home.

I have to check the earlier series out. At the moment I am going throught the later series..

lol i wonder if it was filled with old stock like arkwright with his van in open all hours!

lol i wonder if it was filled with old stock like arkwright with his van in open all hours!

well it did seem 2 hav a lot of crisp boxes in it in "getting sam home"

Sid had a maroon-ish 1969, Ford Transit van, NAK274H in “Mending Stuart’s Leg”, then a blue 1973, Commer PB panel van, VLP882M for “Here We Go Again into The Wild Blue Yonder”. What looks like a 1960's Bedford CA panel van is used in "From Wellies to Wet Suit” but I don't think there is ever a clear shot of it..
The chip van was a 1967, Bedford VAS2 with Duple Midland B30F single-decker bodywork built in July 1967 at the Willowbrook factory for the Greater London Council, fleet number 391, PMM391E, pained pink but recorded on DVLA as blue which was the original LEA livery colour.
... deep breath ...

Last edited:
Do we know if any of these vehicles still exist or when they were last taxed?
The 1969, Ford Transit and 1973, Commer vans are not on DVLA, indicating that they have been scrapped.

The "chip van" was last taxed in 1987, still shown on DVLA, but has probably been scrapped and not notified to DVLA.
However, it's sister vehicle PMM392E was still on the road in January 2002, in its original blue LEA livery, but it has since been exported.

Back