Shows that were good years ago but not so now? I will start with Terry and June!

lotswfan72

Dedicated Member
What shows did you enjoy years ago but don't enjoy so much today? maybe you have watched them to death or they just have dated badly! i will start as always lol and say Terry and June - seemed good years ago but dated badly now and terry scott just doesn't seem funny or act that well in this! also the story lines seem abit limp! or maybe its just me! what do you think? and what shows would you add to this list? cheers!

I thought of Terry and June before I finished reading the heading.

Never the Twain is another example.

And Sorry!

Even Bless This House (tv series only) seems quite lacking. The film, in my opinion, is splendid though. It was given a Carry On treatment, and even featured Terry and June.

hi wstol yeah agree with everything you say esp your love for the bless this house film - i love it also, its as close to being a carry on film without being one as you can get! the other t v shows turned into film never really worked esp george and mildred which was abit of a let down esp when the series was so good! sorry i have always quite liked although haven't seen it for a few years now and was never that keen on never the twain in the fist place! getting sam home is kind of lotsw film version which i think never really worked either ( sorry people who liked getting sam home ).

As a "Yank" I'm not familiar with any of the British shows mentioned. But I can tell you as a kid I loved Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island, now though I never want to see either of these again. I do spend most all my TV time watching old TV shows from the '50's, '60's, & 70's (anything from '80's and beyond is "new" to me) so I do love old TV shows. Really don't watch any new TV at all except for 1 or 2, 99.99% of what I watch is from DVDs. But there are some shows I have no interest in seeing again. While others I could watch 100 times over. So, go figure. ::)

I thought of Terry and June before I finished reading the heading.

Never the Twain is another example.

And Sorry!

Even Bless This House (tv series only) seems quite lacking. The film, in my opinion, is splendid though. It was given a Carry On treatment, and even featured Terry and June.
I actually rate T and J and Sorry! ;D

I used to enjoy John sullivan's Dear John a great deal too, but on revisiting it I didn't find it the masterpiece I remembered. Good though nonetheless.

As a "Yank" I'm not familiar with any of the British shows mentioned. But I can tell you as a kid I loved Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island, now though I never want to see either of these again. I do spend most all my TV time watching old TV shows from the '50's, '60's, & 70's (anything from '80's and beyond is "new" to me) so I do love old TV shows. Really don't watch any new TV at all except for 1 or 2, 99.99% of what I watch is from DVDs. But there are some shows I have no interest in seeing again. While others I could watch 100 times over. So, go figure. ::)

As I lives in Canada and watched many USA Shows I can tell you that the ones of the 1970's were excellent comedy. I can't forget: To mention a few.

Beverley Hillibilies
Green Acres
Petticoat Junction

But as the 1980's began the American comedy went down hill,, It wasn't funny anymore.

Beautifull show. Wendy Richards was in it.

You are right the shows of yesterday would not fit today. Sadly but true as times have changed even attituides. Women of today go to work etc. There is a show on the BBC at the moment called "The house that the 50's built" It was a different woman then. So all the Junes and Idas and etc are gone. The shows are outdated for some. I still love them

Those shows mentioned by Compo were all from the 1960's not the '70's and are ones I enjoy today thanks to DVD. Like I said, with but a very few exceptions TV after 1978 was lousy and only got worse with each succeeding decade. To the point of today's deplorable and completely unwatchable state.

You can find many of these old shows to download. The only comedy I like of today is "Benidorm". It is a good laugh... The writers of yesterday are gone...

What shows did you enjoy years ago but don't enjoy so much today? maybe you have watched them to death or they just have dated badly! i will start as always lol and say Terry and June - seemed good years ago but dated badly now and terry scott just doesn't seem funny or act that well in this! also the story lines seem abit limp! or maybe its just me! what do you think? and what shows would you add to this list? cheers!

Everything you say is so true, but I was laughing like a drain yesterday when we saw a repeat. Why is that I wonder!

seeing no1 has mentioned it yet what about the simpsons, tht dropped 2 a poor level years ago, lets hope it just doesnt beat summer wine's record

I like Terry and June but have been watching Sykes and it didnt seem funny any more same with Dear John Bless this House was funny.

Thankfully, thankfully, I still find Sykes funny to this day. If only other writers and actors could learn something from Eric Sykes.

Not been mentioned yet and had some real funny moments was "One foot in the Grave" or is it just me that liked it

For the last few evenings I've been watching Cheers (Not English I know) and I had forgotten just how funny it was :)

For the last few evenings I've been watching Cheers (Not English I know) and I had forgotten just how funny it was :)
I think Cheers was just about the greatest US comedy show.

Back