Showing a Leg

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
1558599_10152034576170980_1031820472_n_zpsce0b3ef9.jpg

ha ha. I wondered why your hand was out! ;) Is this part of your family?

Mostly my wife's family - the Scottish connection. Bride is her niece. Holding the baby (wife's great nephew) is bride's brother, wife's nephew. Behind him is their father, wife's brother-in-law. At far right, other end of the line from me, is our son. Beside him is husband of one of wife's cousins. Typical Scottish wedding photograph, bride with all men wearing the kilt.

Your photo sure beats the average English photo. All the men stood round self consciously holding top hats. :) :-\ I was roped into it for my sons wedding. The only man wearing the top hat was the brides father ::) ::)

What exactly is the round silver item hanging from your waist?

That is the sporran. You have to understand, the kilt has no pockets and the Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket only has the two inside pockets (where you keep your pens and such like) so the sporran is where you keep your handkerchief and your wallet plus your loose change (yer bawbies).

imagesMLNFQXUU_zpsaf14712d.jpg

I like to see men in Kilts, when we went to Fort George last it was full of solders in Kilts, it was a very windy day and I stood around for ages with my camera ready but they all seemed know how to handle wearing Kilts in the wind. :'(
;)

GREAT PICTURE ! Big Unc. You look great. Plus it is nice to know what someone looks like when I get an answer on here. Since I don't do facebook. Like it was mentioned earlier, great to have the heritage. So instead of a suit to go some where do the Scots always wear kilts? 8)

I like to see men in Kilts, when we went to Fort George last it was full of solders in Kilts, it was a very windy day and I stood around for ages with my camera ready but they all seemed know how to handle wearing Kilts in the wind. :'(
;)
Pearl-Susan you should be ashamed! What is Dick going to think! :eek: ;) lol

We have a group here called the Scottish Rite. They are all dressed to the kilt in our Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade here in May. The Scottish Rite Cathedral also has a 2nd floor that has a excellent restaurant. It is one of the most beautiful buildings we have downtown.

GREAT PICTURE ! Big Unc. You look great. Plus it is nice to know what someone looks like when I get an answer on here. Since I don't do facebook. Like it was mentioned earlier, great to have the heritage. So instead of a suit to go some where do the Scots always wear kilts? 8)

Kilt as opposed to suit - depends on the occasion. One acquaintance of mine wears a kilt virtually all the time but he is a bit of an exception. The tartan is very much worn at weddings. Occasionally at funerals but not so much. Some make a point of wearing the kilt at a Remembrance Day service (nearest Sunday to 11th November). It would generally be worn at any dance function particularly a Ceilidh. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Céilidh)
Maybe a good generalisation would be to say that the full Bonnie Prince Charlie formal outfit is worn where the occasion is typical of an evening dress (tuxedo) affair.

There are, of course, alternative rigs. There is the less formal Argyll jacket:

imagesB7N8WR8K_zps84d9eb8f.jpg

The more formal full dress with plaid:

highlanddress3_zpsf414e1dd.jpg

And the somewhat fancy Sheriffmuir:

Sheriffmuir_zps17da081f.jpg

;)
Pearl-Susan you should be ashamed! What is Dick going to think! :eek: ;) lol

We have a group here called the Scottish Rite. They are all dressed to the kilt in our Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade here in May. The Scottish Rite Cathedral also has a 2nd floor that has a excellent restaurant. It is one of the most beautiful buildings we have downtown.

Shhhhh he'll never know. ;)
Nice good looking soldiers, in Kilts on a windy day?!?! Who wouldn't? :p :p

Back