Shirley Stelfox

C W Northrop

Dedicated Member
Anyone else know that the recently passed on actress of Emmerdale and Keeping Up Appearances fame,hailed from Dukinfield,the same home town as Kathy Staff and Ronnie Hazlehurst?

RIP

Hi C W I didn't know that thank's for letting us know. There seem's to have been alot of these sad event's over the past few month's

To resurrect this very old thread, I discovered that Kathy and Ronnie were were born within a couple of months of each other. I'm wondering if they knew one another before the series, they could have even been in the same class at school as I don't think Dukinfield is a very big place?

Didn't Compo once say that he'd seen Blamire and a certain Mabel Dukinfield together at Clay Bank? Blamire said she'd joined him on his birdwatching expeditions, even though she was never invited.

To resurrect this very old thread, I discovered that Kathy and Ronnie were were born within a couple of months of each other. I'm wondering if they knew one another before the series, they could have even been in the same class at school as I don't think Dukinfield is a very big place?

No, Dukinfield is not a big town. I know because I lived there a few years as a kid and my Mum's family come from there. Shirley was a cousin of one of my uncles.

Late to the chat here too. I really liked her in Keeping up Appearances, great Rose character.

Thats actually kind of cool to have famous people in the family.. close as I got was an aunty (both my parents were from UK) involved somehow with the enigma code.

edit: Keeping Up Appearances was awesome :)

An aunt being involved in the enigma code is much cooler!

I never met Shirley and was surprised when my Mum mentioned the family connection. My aunt knew Kathy Staff at a church she had some involvement with, and I once saw her visiting a relative who lived next door to us.

I love these tenuous links to celebrities, the closest I've ever got to fame was sitting behind Ricky Tomlinson on a flight once and meeting Gail Tilsley from Corro in the mid 90's. Bet no one can beat as the most rubbish link to stardom !? :p:p:p

I know an Extra who has been in 4 Vera's , I had a very minor role in Polanski's Macbeth , I say minor that's an overstatement , it was filmed in Northumberland we were bused in from school [5th form and above] to be soldier's in the battle scenes. We were given coloured tunics to wear over our clothes [specified we had to wear black] stood around like lemons on Alnwick Moors for hours but we were all fed with decent grub from the catering trucks .

As a I say we were bussed there and back . On the final day one of the buses was stopped before leaving. Apparently one of the real thugs from our school had secreted a chain mace for future use, but stupidly, he had hidden it in the destination board at the rear of the bus [old united bus like this one ] which you opened with two levers . When the Bus was started up the light in destination board illuminated a perfect outline of the mace which was spotted by the site security who boarded the bus and removed it . We thought to ourselves what sort of carnage would he have wreaked with it . :oops:

bus.jpg

Back