Sherbert??

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
What ever happened to Sherbert?

Sherbert was a wonderful character in FOTSW,
but never got pulled back into later episodes of LOTSW.

There has been a lot of speculation about this in the past. I wondered if Sherbert could have been Sid's nickname, or that he could possibly have been posted to Aldershot in the war and met a girl there and stayed. He could be living up the road from me now in that case. He might, sadly, just have been a casualty of war. I would like to think it was the first of these ideas.

I've often wondered that too, I have a feeling that because its set just before the war that maybe he was a casualty of it :(

He was a good character and he would have been great in Last of, has would Ivy's mate ( Can't remember her name off hand) but she would have been good in the later ones too.

I suppose there had to be some differant characters in the First Of just to make it a bit differant.

I still think it was a shame that FOTSW did not continue. It was just beginning to take shape as did LOTSW after a few episodes.

I've often wondered that too, I have a feeling that because its set just before the war that maybe he was a casualty of it :(

He was a good character and he would have been great in Last of, has would Ivy's mate ( Can't remember her name off hand) but she would have been good in the later ones too.

I suppose there had to be some differant characters in the First Of just to make it a bit differant.

Think it was Dilys?

I still think it was a shame that FOTSW did not continue. It was just beginning to take shape as did LOTSW after a few episodes.

Problem was that within a few months the time would have moved on to war time properly and the characters would have been dispersed, Seymour to RAF and so on, Wally on the LNER as a reserved occupation, possibly and so on.

The story line would have changed dramatically.

Incidentally the suggestion in the pilot was that Clegg married in the early 1930s (height of depression) and thus would have been about five years older than he was in FOTSW.

Think it was Dilys?

Thats the one Barmpot, thank you :)

Problem was that within a few months the time would have moved on to war time properly and the characters would have been dispersed, Seymour to RAF and so on, Wally on the LNER as a reserved occupation, possibly and so on.

The story line would have changed dramatically.

Incidentally the suggestion in the pilot was that Clegg married in the early 1930s (height of depression) and thus would have been about five years older than he was in FOTSW.

Poetic licence :)

I was watching the FOTSW DVD's yesterday, first time in about six months.
I also feel that Sherbert was possibly a casualty of the war.
The idea that he was to become Sid, probably wouldn't have worked, otherwise he would have had to have had the sherbert nick-name from the beginning of Summer wine i reckon.
In first of, we see Dilys crying whilst looking at the wedding picture of herself and cousin Bradley, so we have to assume that Bradley never made it home either and Dilys moved on?
Bit sad that Clegg never referred to Sherbert in Summer wine, seeing as they were quite close mates in the 30's but the First of and Last of programmes did become a bit muddled, due no doubt to when First of was produced, late in 1987, which was when the pilot was first broadcast.

G ; )

And don't forget that Alan J W Bell didn't direct FOTSW. I doubt if he would have allowed any references to the past from that show.

And don't forget that Alan J W Bell didn't direct FOTSW. I doubt if he would have allowed any references to the past from that show.

I know Alan Bell somewhat resented not getting to direct FOTSW but we must not forget that we are talking about Roy Clarke's creation. I think it more likely he did not see a place in LOTSW for Sherbert. We must remember that by the time of FOTSW (in the Seymour era) LOTSW was well established. To bring in Sherbert might have spoiled the dynamic of the trio. And, I suggest it might have been very different if we had not had Foggy's return. I could see the character of Sherbert fitting in far better with a continuing Seymour third man but not with a returning Foggy.

That's an interresting concept Big Unc, I think your right the time to bring Sherbert in would have been after Seymour left, to just plonk him in to make a foursum would have been to much of a change.

I did like Sherbert, I hope he made it though the war and went off to marry Miss Deborah :D

I know Alan Bell somewhat resented not getting to direct FOTSW but we must not forget that we are talking about Roy Clarke's creation. I think it more likely he did not see a place in LOTSW for Sherbert. We must remember that by the time of FOTSW (in the Seymour era) LOTSW was well established. To bring in Sherbert might have spoiled the dynamic of the trio. And, I suggest it might have been very different if we had not had Foggy's return. I could see the character of Sherbert fitting in far better with a continuing Seymour third man but not with a returning Foggy.

I see what you mean, Unc, but he could have been brought back in one episode if Roy and Alan had wanted.

I see what you mean, Unc, but he could have been brought back in one episode if Roy and Alan had wanted.

Oh, I will go along with that. For some reason I thought we were talking a more permanent role.

Back