Seymour

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny the way your opinion of an actor can change with time. I never really liked Seymour when he took over from Foggy. I probably unknowingly resented the fact that he stepped in to take Foggy's place and I never looked at his character objectively. I am still (even after all this time) warming to him and I think now that he filled in very well in Brian Wilde's absence. Anyone else feel like this about Seymour /Michael?

Last edited:
Yes me. I felt the same, it took me awhile to like him even though several of my favourites are in the Seymour era like Edie And The Automobile, Treasures Of The Deep and Dried Dates And Codfanglers.

I like him now and will quite happily watch him.

I think there were too many similarities to Foggy and I thought he was trying to be him but given time and the opportunity to step back and watch him again and again I've grown quite fond of him in his own right.

Me too! ;D For a "classical" type actor to step into a comedy show took guts.
After a while the part fitted him like an old cardy :tux: I liked the Seymour years ;D My favouritest :confused: programme was from the Seymour years, GETTING BARRY HIGHER IN THE WORLD. :wink: I know the "headmaster " bits got on some nerves but I thought all round he took a good part. :)

Yes I felt the same about Seymour but I now like him he became a good replacement for Foggy.Watched him yesterday in The Kiss and Mavis Possit good acting and he had a good rappor with Clegg and Compo.

I felt the same way.:42: My husband liked him straight off.:29: I suppose it is natural for us to have a hard time to accept change. Taking a part in a hit, jump right in the trio roll was very challenging for the audience. As I watch the Seymour's I to am okay with him. All of the 3rd men had an authoritarian roll in the group. Look at their job rolls. In all I think all did a good job. Blamire, Foggy, Seymour, Truly.

Except for the 3rd man in the later shows which I have not seen. When they come on in the next few months I am going to try to be objective. :16:

Yes I go along with everyone else. He grew on me when I watched the repeats. My favourite was 3 men and a mangle brilliant.

I felt the same way.:42: My husband liked him straight off.:29: I suppose it is natural for us to have a hard time to accept change. Taking a part in a hit, jump right in the trio roll was very challenging for the audience. As I watch the Seymour's I to am okay with him. All of the 3rd men had an authoritarian roll in the group. Look at their job rolls. In all I think all did a good job. Blamire, Foggy, Seymour, Truly.

Except for the 3rd man in the later shows which I have not seen. When they come on in the next few months I am going to try to be objective. :16:

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the later ones Brenda, please post something when you've seen them.

I think it took a while for them to find out what variation of Seymour was a good fit, and unfortunately by then Michael Aldridge had to leave the show. As others have noted, "Three Men and a Mangle" is probably one of the best episodes of the show, but its also the last Seymour full episode. It didn't help that Clarke started off by presenting Seymour as someone totally new (Compo and Clegg show no sign of knowing him at all in the early episodes) and then switched to making him someone they had grown up with in later episodes (and FOTSW).

I will Pearl. Yet I did see the last episode, but was not thrilled since I didn't know many of the faces, and I have heard negative comments, and I have to agree with them really, I wasn't impressed , but I had never seen him before, so want to give him benefit of seeing him from day one!:42::me:

Should be able to tell you in about 3 weeks.:32:

Form your own opinion and let us know, be nice to hear a fresh opinion on the later ones. :)

I have made no secret that I think some of the Seymour episodes are the best in the Entire run. My favourite episode is When you take a good bite. Yorkshire tastes terrible. there are others. Uncle of the bride. Dried Dates. Etc. It was a shame to see him go really. But then again we got Foggy back so it wasn't all bad.

I have made no secret that I think some of the Seymour episodes are the best in the Entire run. My favourite episode is When you take a good bite. Yorkshire tastes terrible. there are others. Uncle of the bride. Dried Dates. Etc. It was a shame to see him go really. But then again we got Foggy back so it wasn't all bad.
I agree with you about 'When you take a good bite', maybe the
Best Seymour episode.

If you watch Seymour's face he often seems to be enjoying himself with many a smile when the rest of the trio are talking,personally I have grown to like Seymour more and more over the years,there were some great episodes during his era, Crums is one of my favourite Specials,the introduction of Auntie,night filming,so much going for it

It sounds unanimous, we all didn't care for him to start with then we all grow to like him.

It sounds unanimous, we all didn't care for him to start with then we all grow to like him.

I think you've got it right there.

He took a little while to get to used to, and after nearly five years it was very sad to see him go.

Of course, when you re-watch Uncle of the Bride, you realise he was always good in the show.

Well considering I grew up in the era of videos I saw the third men I hadn't seen before on tape before maybe on tv (we didn't get satellite in our house till 2003 and had that ON digital then ITV digital before that) but even watching the videos I loved Seymour and Blamire first time round, even though I grew up with Foggy's second run and Truly as third men, I loved Foggy's first run when I saw that on video, basically most era's of the show I loved first time I saw them (the only era I wasn't 100% sure on would be early to mid 00's but I would still watch them cause I love the show and do like them now)

I am another who didn't care for Seymour and even though I had the Dvd;s in my collection,i wouldn't watch them.I think it took me quite a while to start and enjoy Seymour but then I quickly realised that some of his episodes can be listed as some of the very best in the whole programme.
Crums,The Treasure of the Deep,Come back Jack Harry Teasdale are just a few that spring readily to mind.

Hector

I liked him too but I found myself thinking of him more as a slightly mad inventor type of Professor than an ex Headmaster and yes "Three men and a mangle" is priceless. Another of my favourites is "Oh shut up and eat your choc-ice" I also think at times in later years there was a tad too much of the :-
Compo - Nora Batty obsession
Foggy - Killing Machine
Clegg - terror of female persons
Truly - former Mrs Truelove

I think that's one of the reasons I love the early series so much : they were so well balanced and no one character dominated too much.

Yes Norm, I think you bring up some good points. I will repeat some of my previous comments. It seemed that Seymour started as the slightly mad inventor type and then transitioned into the snobby headmaster. I prefer the first and absolutely adored his first three episodes (hence my name).

On a side note, yes I think the 2nd run of Foggy had too much of the "killing machine" theme and eventually Compo became too obsessed with Nora. However, I never grew tired of Clegg and his fear of women (seems like a common Clarke trait).

As for almost everyone's comments about it taking a while to warm up to Seymour because of the way he replaced Foggy, my situation was quite different. I first discovered Summer Wine when my wife started recording it before KUA on weekdays. It was in the middle of the Truly years. Then I eventually discovered it was on Saturdays and I turned it on to discover one of Seymour's first episodes. So those characters were the norm for me even before I discovered Foggy or Blamire.

Also, regarding the fact that some of the very best episodes were during the Seymour era. I think he just benefitted from a peak time in Summer Wine. I believe there are many classic early Foggy episodes and many great Truly episodes. However, I have come to believe the "golden era" of Summer Wine was when Bell first took over, Seasons 8-12. That was the most consistently outstanding era of the show (in my humble opinion).

Back