Set Decorations

Adanor

Dedicated Member
So where do they come up with the decorations, paintings, stuff on the mantles, and other odd bits for all of the rooms such as Pearl's living room, Cleggy's living room (both houses), etc.? During one scene, I was meditating on the candlesticks on Cleggy's mantelpiece and how I grew up looking at almost the exact same pair of candlesticks (minus candles of course) on the mantelpiece in my parent's house. And then there was the plant on the drop-leaf table in front of the window in Cleggy's first house. And I wonder -- did the set decorator visit my parent's house? Anybody else notice set decorations that are oddly familiar? Wall paper? Prints? Drapes?

Most fans of a similar age to me would have seen these "sets" , if not in their own houses certainly in their grandparents house.That plant on the drop leaf was probably an aspidistra (as sung about by Compo) The producers must have scoured lots of " aunties " to pick up the furniture etc.:40:

I imagine the set designers would be given a brief from Roy Clarke to outline how he was pitching the characters in terms of their age and characteristics from which they would mock up drawings for approval down to the finest detail ,however ,with Compo they probably grabbed any old rubbish from the BBC Store and threw it on the set .

I know a designer who worked for the BBC (now retired) and he told me they would go to incredible lengths to get the right stuff. He once wanted a specific sort of double deck bus and he found one he could use that was not particularly special but as it was the wwrong colour had to have it all repainted for the programme and then painted back to its original livery! Great cost.

At one time there was a general look of houses - and no doubt Norman Clegg's was Yorkshire respectable: nothing flash. Solid furniture built to last, as already stated an aspidistra in a pot and so on. The junk stuff might have been bought in reasonable condition and then distressed to make it look old and worn. They certainly did this with costumes.

Actually I have an aspidistra in my window and heavy, serviceable furniture built to last - nothing flash! With the silver plate tea pot etc. Carpet been down 28 years with still plenty of service in it! Just a retouch on the varnish occasionally to keep the gloss up!

Carpet been down 28 years

I stayed at the Palace Hotel in Buxton recently which opened in 1868 I think , when I checked in I was talking to the receptionist who gave me a potted history of the building but was keen to point out that the lobby and some areas of the grand staircase still had the original carpet in place how's that for craftsmanship , longevity and value for money.

At one time there was a general look of houses - and no doubt Norman Clegg's was Yorkshire respectable: nothing flash. Solid furniture built to last, as already stated an aspidistra in a pot and so on.

My furnishings are gradually being replaced by "Yorkshire respectable". I was given a good start when i inherited a few family pieces going back at least to my grandparents' generation. I'm in the process of replacing not very serviceable furniture that I bought in the mid-70s when my income was very low. The replacements are are as solid and serviceable as I can afford and certainly not flash. My style is what I've always described as "dead boring classic."

I stayed at the Palace Hotel in Buxton recently which opened in 1868 I think , when I checked in I was talking to the receptionist who gave me a potted history of the building but was keen to point out that the lobby and some areas of the grand staircase still had the original carpet in place how's that for craftsmanship , longevity and value for money.

Obviously mine has some way to go.

Although I have noted that the wall paper - the heavier sort - is lifting slightly as he glue has dried out! Not been up five minutes! You might guess that I am not overly enamoured of household decorating ....

Back