Server Update

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Tony has certainly lost more of his hair today, normally to change DNS servers worldwide take 15-20 minutes, today it took much longer, there could of been a glitch somewhere on the planet, but it all seem to be working fine now.

if any members comes against as issue please let us know, thanks Terry

Tony has certainly lost more of his hair today, normally to change DNS servers worldwide take 15-20 minutes, today it took much longer, there could of been a glitch somewhere on the planet, but it all seem to be working fine now.

if any members comes against as issue please let us know, thanks Terry
I'm not sure whether it's a typo or you really have severed something with this update :p :p :p

I replied to some posts late on Saturday evening and thought it strange that no other members had been online since the morning. When I tried to access the site on Sunday morning it came up "account suspended". I tried several times during the day and evening but still just came up as "account suspended". I assumed it was the same for everyone, but now that I'm back on, I can see that other members were posting yesterday so I guess it was just me. My posts from Saturday night have disappeared. :(

I replied to some posts late on Saturday evening and thought it strange that no other members had been online since the morning. When I tried to access the site on Sunday morning it came up "account suspended". I tried several times during the day and evening but still just came up as "account suspended". I assumed it was the same for everyone, but now that I'm back on, I can see that other members were posting yesterday so I guess it was just me. My posts from Saturday night have disappeared. :(

Very strange Roger, I have no explanation for that, and you were certainly not suspended

Guess whatever your ISP provider's DNS server is, it was still pointing at the old server when you posted . It appears to have taken considerably longer than Tony thought for the propagation of the new server's address across the worldwide DNS servers so when you browse to the site URL you get directed by the DNS servers to the Summerwine new server .

I could see how if your provider's DNS hadn't updated at the point you posted that you would be directed to the old server on which presumably all Accounts would have been suspended as part of the migration. I am in no way saying that's correct but would seem feasible sure Tony will correct me . I have been watching lots of detective shows recently so hard to curb my enthusiasm to try and solve the unexplained :):08:

Captain, a little more info.
The weirdest thing was that because of the staggered cache systems locally you could open a page of our forum which would be taken from the new server, click on a link on that page (to reply to a thread perhaps) and the link would be opened from the old server. So for a couple of hours it was literally take your pick, with no way to control it!
I've never seen anything like it before.
Still, all sorted now :).

I did see your reply to the Acorn question, quoting Acorn Computers, then it disappeared. I was tempted to copy your answer when the post disappeared, but I'd not be able to sleep in my bed at night with guilt!! :22:

I did see your reply to the Acorn question, quoting Acorn Computers, then it disappeared. I was tempted to copy your answer when the post disappeared, but I'd not be able to sleep in my bed at night with guilt!! :22:
Yes, that was my answer but it disappeared. Acorn Business Machines, it was a shop just around the corner from the White Horse where PC Cooper got hit on the head with an arrow.

Back