Series Two (1975) Episode Reviews

What is your favorite series 2 episode?

• Forked Lightning

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Who's That Dancing with Nora Batty Then?

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The Changing Face of Rural Blamire

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Some Enchanted Evening

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A Quiet Drink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Northern Flying Circus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have to agree with Barry, the character shift was too far out of what we expected, and not sustainable. As fabulous of characters Roy created to be presented to the actors, I have to credit the actors themselves for the brilliant durability they gave them. I think in this episode, if I am remembering correctly, (I think Compo going off alone happened twice early on), Roy was focusing more on that aspect than the episode as a whole. There is a scene where Clegg, bored to death by Blamire's politics and social commentary says it himself, we need him, there in the middle. It seems Roy was playing with aligning them with each of the three parts of the soul described by Plato. Appetitive - Compo, Rational - Blamire, and reflective - Clegg. All three are needed for balance. There is a similar quality in the original Star Trek with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and it was supposedly deliberately employed as the basis for Dorothy's three helpers in the Wizard of Oz, so I wouldn't be surprised if Roy contemplated it as well.

RE: Compo and Nora's behavior

I don't see how Compo is any different here than in any of the countless subsequent episodes which open with him leering, grabbing, and otherwise drooling over the married Nora, something which the viewing public apparently found to be hilarious. Also, Nora Batty has appeared in only four of the eleven episodes aired thus far, so she isn't yet the icon she would become.

Once again, keep in mind I am watching LotSW in chronological order and for the first time, so I do not have the decades of "baggage" and bias of Summer Wine being an iconic program like it is for those of you who've watched it for so long. Some of my views will undoubtedly change, but Compo's behavior in Some Enchanted Evening differs little from what was to come. I think it is this episode that led Roy Clarke to aggressively pursue the "Compo Loves Nora" trope.

Last edited:
You make a very valid point about Compo, I suppose it's what you'd expect if Nora reciprocated his advances! You're right we're watching this with the hindsight of the entire series and the morally prudish character she became.

But that's what I love about your reviews, it enables us to put each episode under the microscope again. We're inevitably going to disagree on some of the points and that's down the the richness of Roys writing. You may even disagree with some of your own reviews as you was the characters develop ;)
;) :)

(S02 E05) A Quiet Drink

Original Airdate: April 2, 1975

At the Clothiers Arms pub, the trio scheme to get a notorious cheapskate to buy a round of drinks.

“Happiness is the sum total of the small things.”

~Norman Clegg

Sid, Ivy, and Nora Batty do not appear in this episode.

The trio have walked a fair distance from Holmfirth to the Clothiers Arms, a pub apparently located well out of town. Clegg and company seem to know innkeeper Harry and the tightwad Mouse, so the trio must drink there on occasion during their longer wanderings.

Cyril mentions Streaking (running naked in a public place), which would have been all the rage in 1974, when this episode was filmed. Such was the popularity of Streaking that it included major sporting events and the Academy Awards.

A Quiet Drink is a deeper immersion into Yorkshire and its pub culture, at least as it exists in Summer Wine Land. Had I watched this as a child, it would have been quite foreign to me. The dialect, the countryside; even the buying of rounds of drinks would have been a revelation!

There are several pub regulars whom the trio know by name, which makes me wonder how often the lads get out this way for a drink, as the Clothiers Arms is quite a distance away from their usual wanderings.

Harry (George Malpas) is the loud, obnoxious landlord. He bullies his customers and yells at them whenever their drinks reach the halfway point. Notice how he’s nice to Tina (Jean Burgess), who shows up every few months for her drunken blow out. Tina is accompanied by her Boycie-from Only Fools and Horses-like husband, Danny (Alan Curtis) who’s always hustling.

Another regular is Ted (Brian Grellis), a rough truck driver who’s been impatiently teaching his wife Marion (Diana Berriman) to drive. Grellis is another Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? performer (the episode “Birthday Boy”). Ted’s wife Marion sports a huge “Sideshow Bob” hairdo which is dyed a distracting “deep into the abyss” shade of black.

There are also four card players to whom Harry is especially rude. One of the card players has the episode’s funniest line when the quartet emerge from the toilet, (“That’s the first time he’s known what he’s had in his hand all flamin’ night!”). Even the trio laughs at that one!

The worst of the lot is “Mouse” (Larry Noble), a skinflint who is infamous for never having bought a round of drinks. The trio scheme to con the cheapskate Mouse into buying them a round.

The beer garden is in either a separate room from the main bar or outside. With the BBC set it's difficult to tell. And what is that floor? Carpet? Rock? Whatever the case, the beer garden is a better place to drink since it keeps the trio away from the blustery landlord, Harry.

Compo offers his beer–he even adds some grass to it–to a goat which loiters out in front of the Clothiers Arms pub. The goat backs away from Compo and refuses the beer. Finally, a goat that doesn’t consume everything put in front of it!

Compo has an Aunt Beth, who, according to Cyril, started a rumor that the ironways superintendent was born out of wedlock. Compo insists that was a misunderstanding and that she said he was actually born out of Matlock. Clegg finds this to be doubly unfortunate: illegitimate and born in Derbyshire. Many of Compo’s relatives have either been mentioned or seen (Pâté and Chips), which flies in the face of Summer Wine’s “no family” trope. Will there be many more references to Compo’s family? Time will tell.

Compo puts on Tina’s blonde wig, which startles Cyril to near death. Cyril says “You look like Jimmy Savile’s grandad!” This scene would no doubt be hacked from present-day repeats, given Savile’s posthumous reputation. Blamire shakes as he attempts to light a cigarette. This bit shows off Bill Owen’s gift for wordless comedy and Michael Bates’ ability to react to the same. It’s amusing to see that women’s hairpieces (or “falls”) were still popular as late as 1974-75; they went the way of the dinosaur by the late 1970s.

Tina does “drunk” extremely well. Hats off to Jean Burgess for her excellent performance; she also sings a slurred, drunken rendition of “Over the Rainbow'' in her best Yorkshire accent.

The trio load the drunken Tina into the driver’s seat of Mouse's car and buckle her in with the seat belt. After Tina is strapped in, Compo pats her gut! When “Tina” is later seen driving around the parking lot, the car is clearly being driven by a tall, thin male stunt driver, whereas Tina looks to be 5’1”. This is the event that leads to Mouse leaving the table and therefore losing the bet, which guarantees Mouse must buy the next round of drinks.

The extensive guest cast and the fact that the trio has travelled a bit of a distance to this area makes A Quiet Drink feel like a “backdoor pilot.” The colorful characters look as though they were auditioning for a new BBC comedy. Still, there’s enough trio involvement to make it an entertaining episode.

My Rating: 8/10

Last edited:
In my opinion, this was probably the least typical episode ever.

As you say, no cafe, no library, no Nora Batty's house.

No Holmfirth town, and basically one long pub scene, most of which is a studio set.

Yet a very interesting and valuable episode, for all the reasons above, and more.

I’m dreading Cyril’s departure.
As much as I disliked Cyril and was looking forward to getting past his episodes during my binge I felt kinda bad when it got down to the final one knowing that they didn't know at the time it would be his final one and Compo's last words about him after he went off-screen was "I hate him!".

Last edited:
(S02 E05) A Quiet Drink

The trio load the drunken Tina into the driver’s seat of her car and buckle her in with the seat belt. After Tina is strapped in, Compo pats her gut! When “Tina” is later seen driving around the parking lot, the car is clearly being driven by a tall, thin male stunt driver, whereas Tina looks to be 5’1”. This is the event that leads to Mouse leaving the table and therefore losing the bet, which guarantees Mouse must buy the next round of drinks.

I think it was Mouse's car they put Tina in, not her own.

(S02 E06) Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe

Original Airdate: April 8, 1975

The trio purchase a canoe off of an eccentric, would-be explorer and have their own waterway journey.

“The world’s going crackers on wheels, and here we are with the key to thousands of tranquil miles of British pollution.”

~Norman Clegg

A publicity still of the trio lounging around looks to be from the opening of this episode.

Such is its whimsy, the canoe followed by Arnpepper floating downstream is a distinctively “British” take on comedy. It can’t really be explained better than that.

Arnpepper is a charming, offbeat character. John F. Landry makes the most of his brief screen time and contributes a likeable performance. Landry has the same appealing awkwardness as Ronald Lacey and even the future Barry himself, Mike Grady; it would be easy to picture those actors in the Arnpepper role.

There’s a picturesque shot of the trio and Arnpepper carrying the canoe to an abandoned two-story brick building, which is sandwiched between by a deep blue sky and vividly green grass.

In the abandoned building scene, Compo’s reactions run the gamut from a child’s wide-eyed, unfiltered sense of wonder and enthusiasm to honest bewilderment to Arnpepper’s dreams of being famous.

Bill Owen’s acting is sometimes dismissed as being over the top, but I see it as an actor playing a part to perfection. Even by Series 2, Compo is a fully-fleshed out character. No matter the situation, Compo reacts with total honesty: good or bad, happy or sad. One could write a thesis on the dimensions Roy Clarke and Bill Owen put into the scruffy herbert.

In town, the “Huddersfield Building Society” building is seen. The trio shatter a plate-glass window (offscreen; sound effects are cheaper than glaziers) as they drag the unwieldy canoe to Compo’s place.

Clegg is the one who pushes the idea of taking the canoe on “a little expedition.” Perhaps it’s excitement like this which led to the timid, retiring Clegg of future series.

At the cafe, Cyril says about Compo, “He’s got a mouth bigger than a splitting Labour party!” Cyril was a prophet, or just an astute observer of the political scene, as then-recent and subsequent events reveal:

“The Labour Party won the 1974 elections again by a narrow margin, returning Harold Wilson as prime minister. But splits in the party over membership in the European Economic Community (which Wilson favored, but more radical members of his party and powerful unions opposed) and a failing economy led to Wilson's resignation in March of 1976, to be succeeded by James Callaghan. During his term in office (April 1976 to May 1979), Callaghan had to negotiate agreements of support from the small Liberal Party (that by then had thirteen seats in Parliament) and even from the Welsh and Scottish separatist members of Parliament."

Clegg holds a contest as to who among Compo, Cyril, and Sid has the biggest mouth. This is to be determined by inserting half of one of Sid’s meat pies into their mouths (no mustard allowed). The winner will receive “The ‘Norman Clegg ‘Alloy Spoon for Mouth Maneuvers’ and will be entitled, for the period of one calendar year, to the ornery form of address, namely: Hey you, big mouth!” Ivy wins the contest by virtue of her coming out of the kitchen screaming at the assembled tomfoolery. It’s not a particularly funny scene, but it’s still worth watching for the “compelling” set up and to follow it through to its less-than-side-splitting conclusion. Plus, it’s always a treat to watch Sid join in on the trio’s antics.

There’s yet another, larger, even more impressive abandoned building–perhaps an old mansion–as the trio bring the canoe down a rolling green hill. There’s a stone fence around the building and a gate that opens out to the road which appears to lead (probably a jump cut) to the stream where the trio’s adventure takes place. Regardless, it's an impressive-looking and beautiful sight to behold. The weather looks sunny, though Blamire is still wearing his overcoat. Further downstream, there is the mist and haze and overcast skies I’ve come to associate with –and prefer–with Series 1 and 2.

In the episode’s best setpiece, Clegg and Cyril hold Compo from a foot bridge to lower him down onto their escaped canoe. Every line of dialogue from the trio makes this Summer Wine misadventure one that keeps up a smile on the face. Compo’s dialogue and reactions are hilarious and Clegg or Cyril responses to his terror with their respective in-character replies make for a classic scene. Clegg(?) lets out an especially funny cackle after he and Cyril drop Compo into what ends up being about a foot of water.

The trio dry off in an abandoned building (an interior set). It looks like the one in which they camped out in Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts (S01 E06).

The second outdoor scene on the stream has our heroes being heckled by some fishermen acquaintances. The trio sport 1920s-era bathing suits, with Cyril’s purple-and-green ensemble garnering the biggest laughs from this viewer, which is quite an achievement, since Clegg wears his long johns under his suit!

Once again, a filmed sequence, by virtue of the light and photography, has Last of the Summer Wine evoking a personal childhood memory of how things looked, or at least how I remember things looking. Whatever the case, the olde nostalgia has been duly and pleasantly stirred in this great episode.

My Rating: 10/10

Last edited:
In my opinion, this was probably the least typical episode ever.

As you say, no cafe, no library, no Nora Batty's house.

No Holmfirth town, and basically one long pub scene, most of which is a studio set.

Yet a very interesting and valuable episode, for all the reasons above, and more.
It was one of the few episodes I disliked for a while. Partially because it was too different and had too much emphasis on the single-appearance characters. Over time, I warmed up to it. Now I really appreciate it because it is centered around the trio joking around like children without a sense of responsibility. So it really has strong similarities to the other Blamire episodes afterall.

(S02 E04) Some Enchanted Evening

Each to their own, but I really didn't like this episode Compo doesn't come across as a particularly nice person and Nora having secret assignations seems unbelieveable and out of character. So glad Roy didn't pursue this direction or Compo would have never been the much loved character he became. It's a 5/10 for me.
I agree. While I grew to like many of the older episodes over time, I just don't enjoy seeing Nora and Compo suiting up for each other. I believe Roy Clarke was still experimenting with the characters here.

(S02 E07) Northern Flying Circus

Original Airdate: April 16, 1975

Clegg decides that the trio should expand their travel horizons and buy a motorbike.

“Haven’t you seen it? It’s not your ‘gleaming speed bird.’ It’s more your ‘ruptured duck.‘ “

~Norman Clegg

At the library reading room, a different librarian is seen off in the background. The trio discuss Compo’s gambling. There is another discussion of the women from the trio’s past as well as a couple of people who recently died. The spectre of death is never far from these characters’ thoughts. Death is what leads Cyril to cling to his religious beliefs, and for Clegg to be as philosophical as he is. No doubt the war still looms in their thoughts. This time, it's the recent demise of Little Billy Aubrey, a fellow they knew. Billy Aubrey's demise has Norman wondering what will happen to the late man’s motorbike. Clegg is once again the catalyst for the trio’s adventures.

Clegg leads the trio to Billy Aubrey’s house, where his widow, Annie (wonderfully played by Marjorie Sudell), has just kicked her insurance agent out of the house. Annie is a hard, tough woman, and it sounds as though she uses an epithet when she yells: “Call yourself an insurance man?!? Now don’t come here, you silly f_ggot! And don’t come back until you’ve got a fistful of brass!” Annie has apparently forgotten that her husband has just died, but then she offers a most perfunctory statement of “grief”, presumably for the trio’s benefit!

As the trio make their way to Annie Aubrey’s house, Michael Bates stumbles on a cobblestone step.

It’s beyond the scope of these reviews to keep track of all the referenced, never-seen characters. Doing so would require the hard work of a dedicated historian! Roy Clarke created a rich, imaginative backstory for the trio and for the town. These characters could provide any obsessive viewer with a lifetime of material for their Summer Wine Land fanfiction! This begs the question: Did Roy Clarke ever use the characters the trio discuss in the pre-1988 episodes for First of the Summer Wine?

The pub in town where the trio drink is not the same one we’ve seen in previous episodes.

At the cafe, the group of girls at the counter and later, the background patrons at the pub are strictly extras, so they don’t get to speak. One of the girls at the cafe appears to mouth “Cheeky!” to Sid as he leers at her on her way out the door. Ivy has a predictably loud, volcanic reaction to Sid’s flirting, but their bickering in this scene doesn’t produce the usual comedic fireworks we’ve come to expect (and enjoy).

Robert Vahey (credited as "Traffic Warden") makes the most of his role as Dave O'Compton(?). He starts off as a real toughie until Clegg and Cyril talk their way out of a parking violation by appealing to how well they know him. Compo asks after Dave’s mother, Clegg mentions a series of Western Philosophy lectures and a wine tasting the two attended last winter, and Cyril brings up a battle in Mandalay and Davie’s war heroism (“Covered in Japanese blood, but still smiling!”). This buys them enough time to move the motorbike they’ve left out on the high street. The superb interaction provides nice character backstory not only for the trio, but also for Dave, a character who’s been fleshed out in a mere 30 seconds! Davey saves face by shouting after them to do just move the motorbike; it’s a little gem of a scene.

Compo’s whimpering after receiving That Most Serious of Injuries outside of the pub is perfectly matched by his whimpering on the inside of it. A point goes to Bill Owen for consistent continuity.

Northern Flying Circus occasionally has a fatigued, warmed-over quality. The story has some static moments and the direction is a bit ordinary, with most of the episode consisting of the trio stepping out of the pub exterior (film) and back inside to the pub interior (video) and pretty much nowhere else. There are some beautifully wet and dreary streets in the background, but since the motorcycle storyline really doesn’t go anywhere, the motorbike scenes lack the typically strong energy of the other episodes.

The episode is not without its virtues. The trio’s meeting with Billy’s widow, Annie, Cyril’s mishap with the motorbike, and the trio’s charming traffic warden Davey are delightful scenes. Compo is (mostly) amusing in the motorbike preparation scenes. There are also some all-too-brief shots of the wet-and-gloomy cityscape, but the episode could have been even better had it been taken in a bolder direction.

Despite these criticisms, Northern Flying Circus is a worthwhile episode and it is, of course, Cyril Blamire’s swan song. The character may not be popular with many fans, but I will most definitely miss him. Even Compo and Clegg have to grudgingly admit that old soldier Cyril isn’t all bad:

Compo: I hate him.
Clegg: No, you don't.
Compo: Are you sure?
Clegg: Well, pretty sure.
Compo: That's funny. I thought I hated him.
Clegg: Puts your head in glass buckets, doesn't he?
Compo: Gives me fags.
Clegg: And it was only a short while ago he was giving you a ‘V’ sign.
Compo: True.
Clegg: Well, there you are, you see. Nobody's all bad.
Cyril: [shouting from pub doorway] Come on!

I don't suppose anyone knew it at the time, but those lines proved to be a poignant tribute to the character of a soon-to-be departing Blamire.

Also, had this series been the last ever, it again was a bittersweet ending - as those few lines genuinely sum up the relationship between long life friends.

Lovely words, and anyone who has fallen out with a very good friend will realise how quickly things can go back to the normal, as signified but Blamire calling them back into the pub, presumably for another drink.

(S02 E07) Northern Flying Circus

Original Airdate: April 16, 1975

Clegg decides that the trio should expand their travel horizons and buy a motorbike.

“Haven’t you seen it? It’s not your ‘gleaming speed bird.’ It’s more your ‘ruptured duck.‘ “

~Norman Clegg

At the library reading room, a different librarian is seen off in the background. The trio discuss Compo’s gambling. There is another discussion of the women from the trio’s past as well as a couple of people who recently died. The spectre of death is never far from these characters’ thoughts. Death is what leads Cyril to cling to his religious beliefs, and for Clegg to be as philosophical as he is. No doubt the war still looms in their thoughts. This time, it's the recent demise of Little Billy Aubrey, a fellow they knew. Billy Aubrey's demise has Norman wondering what will happen to the late man’s motorbike. Clegg is once again the catalyst for the trio’s adventures.

Clegg leads the trio to Billy Aubrey’s house, where his widow, Annie (wonderfully played by Marjorie Sudell), has just kicked her insurance agent out of the house. Annie is a hard, tough woman, and it sounds as though she uses an epithet when she yells: “Call yourself an insurance man?!? Now don’t come here, you silly f_ggot! And don’t come back until you’ve got a fistful of brass!” Annie has apparently forgotten that her husband has just died, but then she offers a most perfunctory statement of “grief”, presumably for the trio’s benefit!

As the trio make their way to Annie Aubrey’s house, Michael Bates stumbles on a cobblestone step.

It’s beyond the scope of these reviews to keep track of all the referenced, never-seen characters. Doing so would require the hard work of a dedicated historian! Roy Clarke created a rich, imaginative backstory for the trio and for the town. These characters could provide any obsessive viewer with a lifetime of material for their Summer Wine Land fanfiction! This begs the question: Did Roy Clarke ever use the characters the trio discuss in the pre-1988 episodes for First of the Summer Wine?

The pub in town where the trio drink is not the same one we’ve seen in previous episodes.

At the cafe, the group of girls at the counter and later, the background patrons at the pub are strictly extras, so they don’t get to speak. One of the girls at the cafe appears to mouth “Cheeky!” to Sid as he leers at her on her way out the door. Ivy has a predictably loud, volcanic reaction to Sid’s flirting, but their bickering in this scene doesn’t produce the usual comedic fireworks we’ve come to expect (and enjoy).

Robert Vahey (credited as "Traffic Warden") makes the most of his role as Dave O'Compton(?). He starts off as a real toughie until Clegg and Cyril talk their way out of a parking violation by appealing to how well they know him. Compo asks after Dave’s mother, Clegg mentions a series of Western Philosophy lectures and a wine tasting the two attended last winter, and Cyril brings up a battle in Mandalay and Davie’s war heroism (“Covered in Japanese blood, but still smiling!”). This buys them enough time to move the motorbike they’ve left out on the high street. The superb interaction provides nice character backstory not only for the trio, but also for Dave, a character who’s been fleshed out in a mere 30 seconds! Davey saves face by shouting after them to do just move the motorbike; it’s a little gem of a scene.

Compo’s whimpering after receiving That Most Serious of Injuries outside of the pub is perfectly matched by his whimpering on the inside of it. A point goes to Bill Owen for consistent continuity.

Northern Flying Circus occasionally has a fatigued, warmed-over quality. The story has some static moments and the direction is a bit ordinary, with most of the episode consisting of the trio stepping out of the pub exterior (film) and back inside to the pub interior (video) and pretty much nowhere else. There are some beautifully wet and dreary streets in the background, but since the motorcycle storyline really doesn’t go anywhere, the motorbike scenes lack the typically strong energy of the other episodes.

The episode is not without its virtues. The trio’s meeting with Billy’s widow, Annie, Cyril’s mishap with the motorbike, and the trio’s charming traffic warden Davey are delightful scenes. Compo is (mostly) amusing in the motorbike preparation scenes. There are also some all-too-brief shots of the wet-and-gloomy cityscape, but the episode could have been even better had it been taken in a bolder direction.

Despite these criticisms, Northern Flying Circus is a worthwhile episode and it is, of course, Cyril Blamire’s swan song. The character may not be popular with many fans, but I will most definitely miss him. Even Compo and Clegg have to grudgingly admit that old soldier Cyril isn’t all bad:

Compo: I hate him.
Clegg: No, you don't.
Compo: Are you sure?
Clegg: Well, pretty sure.
Compo: That's funny. I thought I hated him.
Clegg: Puts your head in glass buckets, doesn't he?
Compo: Gives me fags.
Clegg: And it was only a short while ago he was giving you a ‘V’ sign.
Compo: True.
Clegg: Well, there you are, you see. Nobody's all bad.
Cyril: [shouting from pub doorway] Come on!

Another good review David, and quite a good episode really. I'm just surprised the pub landlord didn't throw them out, what with all the noise and mischief they were making. A memorable part of the epidosde, for me at least, was when Compo bumped into the other customer and knocked his hat off!

I don't suppose anyone knew it at the time, but those lines proved to be a poignant tribute to the character of a soon-to-be departing Blamire.

Also, had this series been the last ever, it again was a bittersweet ending - as those few lines genuinely sum up the relationship between long life friends.

Lovely words, and anyone who has fallen out with a very good friend will realise how quickly things can go back to the normal, as signified but Blamire calling them back into the pub, presumably for another drink.
I have a lot of mixed feelings here.
"Don't leave us, Blamire!" combined with "Alright, Bring on Foggy!" all at the same time.

In Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe (S02 E06), Cyril says to Arnpepper:

"I can sympathize. I can understand the feeling of talent unrecognized, superiority unrewarded."

Blamire, despite his military experience and his artistic interests and ambitions, is back in Yorkshire, used up, unwanted, and up to this point without romantic prospects. He is a man filled with regret, and it's all stated in that remark. No wonder Cyril picks up and leaves the instant he has the opportunity for marriage. Roy Clarke's writing out Cyril works for the character and its not just a neat-and-tidy instance of convenient TV writing. Blamire, as far as we know, gets a "happy ending", but did he invite Clegg and Compo to the wedding?

Last edited:
Back