Series Three (1976) Episode Reviews

Which is your favorite Series Three episode?

• The Man From Oswestry

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Mending Stuart's Leg

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The Great Boarding-House Bathroom Caper

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Cheering Up Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Kink in Foggy's Niblick

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Going to Gordon's Wedding

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Isometrics and After

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They're all good episodes in Series Three aren't they?

Don't think we said enough about The Kink in Foggy's Niblick - that is such a feel-good episode, what with the sunshine and Sid getting the afternoon off.
The more I think about it, this Series might be the most solid without any weak link episodes at all. I have gotten to appreciate Mending Stuart's Leg more over time and of course, Man From Oswestry is a classic.

(S03 E07) Isometrics and After

This marks the final appearance of librarian Mr. Wainwright (Blake Butler) and his assistant, Miss Moody (Kate Brown). Wainwright throws the trio out of the library one last time. Miss Moody is clearly more literate than her boss, as she quotes The Wasteland (1922) by the poet T.S. Eliot (1888-1965). Wainwright not only doesn’t know The Wasteland, he doesn’t even know who T.S. Eliot was!

These days, Eliot is probably best known for his connection to the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats (1981), which is based on Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (1939).​
A bit of trivia in the context of this thread: the Hogarth Press (owned by Leonard and Virginia Woolf) published the first UK edition of The Wasteland, but when Eliot brought them Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, they thought he had lost his mind!

Last edited:
Did I ever finish reviewing Series Three? I believe I did! :03:Thanks to our dear mods for setting up the review archive. I suppose they can add Series Three to the other area should they feel inclined to do so, for which I remain flattered and grateful.

Took a much-needed respite from reviews, which can become an obsessive endeavor (just ask the fellow who's shooting the documentary or writing a book!). The holidays--and a Christmas trip to (New) England--also took me away from my LotSW schedule.

Series 4 reviews will commence soon, though lately I've been in a huge Alvin Smedley-era mood, though I haven't written a single word about it until this very sentence!

Did I ever finish reviewing Series Three? I believe I did! :03:Thanks to our dear mods for setting up the review archive. I suppose they can add Series Three to the other area should they feel inclined to do so, for which I remain flattered and grateful.

Took a much-needed respite from reviews, which can become an obsessive endeavor (just ask the fellow who's shooting the documentary or writing a book!). The holidays--and a Christmas trip to (New) England--also took me away from my LotSW schedule.

Series 4 reviews will commence soon, though lately I've been in a huge Alvin Smedley-era mood, though I haven't written a single word about it until this very sentence!
So glad to have you back David, I've really missed your truly brilliant reviews - thought you'd gone completely AWOL as we'd not heard from you for so long. If you get 8 mins spare I strongly recommend you watch the latest Wino's video revisiting the locations in the pilot episode, I've watched it several times as it's so good!

Back