Series Budgets

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I was chatting with a friend about the demise of the series and he was wondering whether the budget of outside filming contributed. I have to say I have absolutely no concept of costs of producing a series, I know Eastenders costs c£300,000 for every day of filming but wouldn't know if an episode of LOTSW would cost £15,000 or £150,000!

I do know from Alan's book that they'd pared to the budget to the bone but I'd be facinated to know exactly how much the series actually cost to make, I suspect the Actors wages were the biggest expense?

I know in the later series Alan kept the budget low by using crew to fill small parts and background scenes, I have seen the cast as Traffic Wardens, Neighbours of Glenda,treasure hunters, angry motorist, bar staff, some even had the odd line

I was chatting with a friend about the demise of the series and he was wondering whether the budget of outside filming contributed. I have to say I have absolutely no concept of costs of producing a series, I know Eastenders costs c£300,000 for every day of filming but wouldn't know if an episode of LOTSW would cost £15,000 or £150,000!

I do know from Alan's book that they'd pared to the budget to the bone but I'd be facinated to know exactly how much the series actually cost to make, I suspect the Actors wages were the biggest expense?

If it costs that much for one day filming EastEnders then the annual budget must be in the tens of millions just for a soap.

Assume Auntie recoups the costs by syndicating the shows and selling them to as many companies will take it however, I am puzzled about how that works with the increasing number of third party companies who make shows for the BBC does Auntie buy the rights and can then syndicate because if they don't not sure how they could increase their revenue stream .

If it costs that much for one day filming EastEnders then the annual budget must be in the tens of millions just for a soap.
When the BBC published the annual salaries of actors earning over £150k pa (they've conveniently hived these off to a sub branch, BBC Studios so they no longer need to be published) practically everyone in the Eastenders cast was earning over that. Some of the longer serving cast members were earning c £400k pa 4 years ago when they were last published. So I reckon the budget to the licence payer is in the tens of millions each year. These are mind boggling salaries to most of us here. Perhaps the LOTSW actors were earning 6 figure salaries, but I doubt it.

It appears the longer you work on a show the more per episode you get, Union rules, when you think a local TV news reader can get £150,000 pa for reading from a teleprompter it's just a crazy was of spending taxpayers money

It appears the longer you work on a show the more per episode you get, Union rules, when you think a local TV news reader can get £150,000 pa for reading from a teleprompter it's just a crazy was of spending taxpayers money
That must mean Peter Sallis was earning megabucks at the end then!!!!

When the BBC published the annual salaries of actors earning over £150k pa (they've conveniently hived these off to a sub branch, BBC Studios so they no longer need to be published) practically everyone in the Eastenders cast was earning over that. Some of the longer serving cast members were earning c £400k pa 4 years ago when they were last published. So I reckon the budget to the licence payer is in the tens of millions each year. These are mind boggling salaries to most of us here. Perhaps the LOTSW actors were earning 6 figure salaries, but I doubt it.

It seems they're spending not far off 100m on a new set:

I'd rather flush my money from the proverbial toilet then it go to Eastenders, the utter nonsense and verbal diarrhoea and recycled "storylines" belong down the loo.

I'd rather flush my money from the proverbial toilet then it go to Eastenders, the utter nonsense and verbal diarrhoea and recycled "storylines" belong down the loo.
I agree with you entirely, but remember Pearl, when you left LOTSW you went to act in Corrie for a bit and so did your Howard, a lollipop man from memory ;)

Back