Series 9, Episode 7; Set the People Free

wstol

Dedicated Member
Another good one.

It would seem a different row of houses is used here to act as the back of Clegg and Howard's houses.

This scene is pure LOTSW, especially after Seymour pretends they are practicing fire drill, and Compo and Clegg mimic the sound of a fire engine from the back of the land rover as it drives away.

Classic stuff.

another great episode which made seymour's first series stronger than weaker, i love the final scene with compo singing and the trio and wally trying 2 escape from nora

My favourite exchange from this episode
Seymour:If only I'd met Marjorie earlier
Compo:Marjorie who?
Clegg:Earlier,Marjorie Earlier ;D

Yes,definitely agree its a good Seymour episode.

It took me quite some time to adjust to Seymour as the new,"third man" but the more i watched the more i started to like him.I have now quite taken to Seymour and think that a lot of the episodes like Crums are absolutely excellent.

Hector

My favourite exchange from this episode
Seymour:If only I'd met Marjorie earlier
Compo:Marjorie who?
Clegg:Earlier,Marjorie Earlier ;D

That´s also my favourite exchange!
A scene I like very much is when they get Joe Gladwin into the boat and Peter helps him by holding on to him, for a very brief moment you can see them both smiling about the fun they are having while filming this.

I don't want to sound too repetitive as lately I have been praising every episode that makes it into a topic, but like In Service to Humanity this one was in my top 25. In fact, Set the People Free might actually be in my top five and is likely my favorite Seymour episode.

To me, this single episode sums up the show more than any other. No one seems to mention this, but throughout the duration of the show there is this underlying setting that shows all the single men adventurous and care free and all the married men oppressed.

If I were to pick just one episode to introduce Summer Wine to a friend it might be this one as a bunch of single guys run around trying to set free their married peers. If it wouldn't be this episode, it might be Follow that Bottle as a bunch of guys team up to achieve something so silly as retrieving a bottle from a canal.

I agree Codfanglers, its a great one and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it before.

;D I liked Seymour but setting the people free was not his idea this time it was Compo who started it all off. Seymour put his size 9 into it though !! ::)

Back