Series 8, Episode 6; Who's Looking After the Cafe Then?

wstol

Dedicated Member
This turned out to be the final Brian Wilde episode, or at least for five years. This is a perfect episode, the show was at it's peak, and Wilde was crazy to leave.

My favourite part of the episode is where Compo and Foggy argue over 'their' customer. The customer is hilarious too - 'Can't say the food was up to much - but the floor show...!'.

Other good lines;
Clegg; Don't ask me, I'm just a passing idiot.
Customer; You may have come to the right place.

The absolutely classic scene where Compo is on the roof of the land rover is pure Summer Wine.

I don't think the house where Nora is seen through the bedroom window is the house normally used for filming.

I really like this episode....Charlie Parblow had "a bit tucked away in a Eunuch's truss". It has everything, it is another smashing episode when the show was in its real pomp.
Had Wilde nt left the series, then 9-11 could have been its absolute peak.
Top 20 of all time for me, 9/10.

OK, I am inquiring about Brian Wilde's departure after this episode.

It may have been mentioned before, but why did he leave?

Also, I like the Seymour years as well. I believe different scripts were eventually written for the different cast line up. Had Brian Wilde stayed on the whole time, would Clarke possibly run out of story lines? In a previous topic someone mentioned the changing of lead characters rejuvenated Clarke's creative juices and motivated him to keep writing.

With the show lasting for 37 years, I believe the various transitions of lead characters helped the show keep going. Then again it would be interesting to see how Summer Wine would have developed after (Who's Looking After the Cafe Then?"

The reason he left was to work on other projects and then returned after Michael Aldridge was forced to leave due to his own physical problems - he was suffering from a bad hip - and to care for his sick wife.

He stayed until 1998 and then was reported to be suffering from shingles and had to miss the opening episodes of the 1998 series but was never to return despite been offered the opportunity.

Also, I like the Seymour years as well. I believe different scripts were eventually written for the different cast line up. Had Brian Wilde stayed on the whole time, would Clarke possibly run out of story lines? In a previous topic someone mentioned the changing of lead characters rejuvenated Clarke's creative juices and motivated him to keep writing.

With the show lasting for 37 years, I believe the various transitions of lead characters helped the show keep going. Then again it would be interesting to see how Summer Wine would have developed after (Who's Looking After the Cafe Then?"

Some of the episodes from Series 9 that followed could have worked with Foggy, some perhaps not - with the inventions. Even Uncle of the Bride may have worked with some changes.

If the excellent Series 12 was anything to go by, Roy Clarke wouldn't have run out of ideas for Foggy.

I do agree that the various changes in the 'third man' over the years kept the show fresh, while still retaining the premise of the first series.

Some of the episodes from Series 9 that followed could have worked with Foggy, some perhaps not - with the inventions. Even Uncle of the Bride may have worked with some changes.

If the excellent Series 12 was anything to go by, Roy Clarke wouldn't have run out of ideas for Foggy.

I do agree that the various changes in the 'third man' over the years kept the show fresh, while still retaining the premise of the first series.

Yep, spot on.

the scene of Compo on top of the landrover was when I first spotted the use of bluescreen.Liked Compo spotting Nora through the window :)

the scene of Compo on top of the landrover was when I first spotted the use of bluescreen.

I'm sure there are earlier episodes using blue screen.

In later episodes, especially Series 31, blue or green screening was used to place Truly and Foggy outside. It looked horribly fake, Same with Howards dance outside Pearl's window, the bit where he appeared to be doing a can can thing in mid air is screened.

I love Foggy in the apron, and having Crush in this episode, which makes it more classic. Foggy going up the ladder and then being afraid, and then Wesley driving off with his rock music with Compo! One of my all time faves.

Back