Series 8, Episode 2; Keeping Britain Tidy

wstol

Dedicated Member
The one with Brian Glover as Ogden Butterclough. Also the show where the trio meet Crusher for the first time, if you exclude some versions of The Loxley Lozenge.

This is a great episode in my veiw.Ogden was a good charecter and we could have seen him again.Ilike the scene where they are in Noras passing the wheel around
and Oggie trys to put it on Noras coffee table also contains one of my favourite Nora and Wally sences

Nora"come out here and see what this lot want"
Wally"what lot"
Nora"get in there"

Wally enters living room and looks around at the gang

"Ah human beings we don't get many human beings usually its just her lot"

The guys need a lift back up the hill but tell Wally to keep it secret from nora

Wally"It won't be secret now she,ll be listening at the door"

Nora comes storming through the door

Nora"Thats a lie no he can't give you a lift up the hill he's far too busy"

Like i said good episode one i can watch again and again :) :)

Not so keen on this one but I do like scene were the gang are picking the window cleaner up and trying to get him on the mattress :)

This is a wonderful episode and in my opinion centainly in the top 10 of all time and maybe pushing top 5. I love this.
It is one of my earliest Summer Wine memories from watching the show as it was aired for the first time.
Ther only thing sadly missing from it was Sid.

The one with Brian Glover as Ogden Butterclough. Also the show where the trio meet Crusher for the first time, if you exclude some versions of The Loxley Lozenge.

The great Brian Glover. What a pedigree. First saw him as a wrestler - ring name "Leon Aris the Man From Paris".
Great quote - he once said: "You play to your strengths in this game. My strength is as a bald-headed, rough-looking Yorkshireman".
Played some great parts in his time including theatre.

Was this the episode where, everytime we saw Wesley's land rover, there was some sort of heavy metal tune blasting from the radio? Always thought it rather odd that Wesley would play that kind of music in his vehicle. I could've sworn him saying he had problems with the radio's tuner, although I might be wrong.

Was this the episode where, everytime we saw Wesley's land rover, there was some sort of heavy metal tune blasting from the radio? Always thought it rather odd that Wesley would play that kind of music in his vehicle. I could've sworn him saying he had problems with the radio's tuner, although I might be wrong.
It was a Wesley running gag up until the Truly era(dont recal it in the Truly era,well not from ones I've seen anyway)

I thought it strange too that an old man would be playing hard rock as he drives around. Then again when I thought about it, Wesley would have been in his 30's and '40's when this music was new. So I suppose it possible that he would have been a fan. Odd, but possible. Usually one is a fan of the music he grew up in and listened to up through his 20's. One usually doesn't switch musical preferences when in their 40's. But, heck, I always have to tell myself when odd things like this come up, "it's a TV show".

;D We all have to remember that ,...all the explosions occurring in his garage maybe rock music was all Wesley could hear properly! ::) Except maybe Edie of course!! After all he never seemed to listen to poor Barry!! ;)

Series 8 was an interesting Series on the whole. It was the first without Sid, and also introduced quite a few characters that were their to the end (Howard, Pearl and Marina).

I like Series 8 overall, but It just seems out of place, compared to the previous ones. It just has a different feel to it.

Death Stalks But No One Notices

Here's a similar question I asked once before, but this time it concerns Sid. Now certainly Sid was a major character in this series, but when he died, he was just gone. No mention of his death or when or how it happened. He was just gone and once in a great while Ivy mentions him. I certainly think there should have been a show where Sid's death was explained. Are we supposed to believe these major characters just were beamed up to Mars never to be mentioned again. Eli, another character no one ever ever mentioned again, Wesley another major character, once he died he was never mentioned again, no explanation, nothing. Why couldn't there have been a show where Edie talked about him? I think this was a major flaw in this series. I can understand that if one talked about death with everybody that died in this series you might have a death show every 10 episodes, but certainly the MAJOR characters like Sid & Wesley, their deaths should have been at least briefly talked about. That's all I would like to have seen, that the deaths of major characters be at least talked about after it happened. They don't have to make an orgy of death shows like they did for Compo, but at least in the first show after the death of the major character actor the character's death should have been briefly talked about. As for Compo, I believe they went overboard in doing program after program all about his death.

I agree with what you say. Sid's death was first mentioned in Uncle of the Bride during a lovely conversation between Ivy and Nora. The two women ackknowledged Wally's passing for the first time in Crums.

Roy Clarke is excellent at sensitive writing, and often included it in this show, yet never made a big deal of explaining the absence of a much loved character.

In the case of Sid, maybe the subject of a death was far too soon, after the death theme of Getting Sam Home.

Not many traditional sitcoms do make a big thing of the death of a character - Only Fools and Horses being the obvious exception.

What does impress me about LOTSW is that they never used different actors to play the same character. Fans of I Didn't Know You Cared will appreciate this.

I agree with what you say. Sid's death was first mentioned in Uncle of the Bride during a lovely conversation between Ivy and Nora. The two women ackknowledged Wally's passing for the first time in Crums.

Roy Clarke is excellent at sensitive writing, and often included it in this show, yet never made a big deal of explaining the absence of a much loved character.

In the case of Sid, maybe the subject of a death was far too soon, after the death theme of Getting Sam Home.

Not many traditional sitcoms do make a big thing of the death of a character - Only Fools and Horses being the obvious exception.

What does impress me about LOTSW is that they never used different actors to play the same character. Fans of I Didn't Know You Cared will appreciate this.
anyone otther than John and Joe playing Sid and Wally would have been wrong

Well, now, there you go, here's where I am at a disadvantage. Having never seen most of the "specials". I have never seen "Uncle of The Bride", sounds like Sid was talked about here and I've never seen this one. The stations in the U.S. skip all the specials and only show the normal episodes of the series. I see though that this special is included in the 1987 LOSW stateside release.

Well, now, there you go, here's where I am at a disadvantage. Having never seen most of the "specials". I have never seen "Uncle of The Bride", sounds like Sid was talked about here and I've never seen this one. The stations in the U.S. skip all the specials and only show the normal episodes of the series. I see though that this special is included in the 1987 LOSW stateside release.

If you get the chance please do watch this excellent episode. It explains more about Seymour than any other episode. I loved Seymour, he was so funny, and he had the best, in my opinion, Christmas specials. Oh excepting All Mod Cons, of course.

If you get the chance please do watch this excellent episode. It explains more about Seymour than any other episode. I loved Seymour, he was so funny, and he had the best, in my opinion, Christmas specials. Oh excepting All Mod Cons, of course.
liked Seymour's wife's parting line to him 'I've left your oven in the dinner' ;D

Back