Series 6, Episode 4; A Bicycle Made for Three

wstol

Dedicated Member
When 'The Other Site' was running we used to do a weekly feature focusing on each episode of this programme.
We started with the pilot, and worked up to series 6, episode 3 before Chronicle Forum strangely became no more. Our reviews tried to highlight our favourite moments, and we explored how the series altered or developed. In some rare cases we were fortunate to include missing or edited dialogue from original scripts.

A Bicycle Made for Three was from series 6 - at this stage the programme could do no wrong. The plot is one of the most Summer Winesque of them all, where else would you see three bicycles welded together?

This episode was also monumental in the change of the cafe. At the beginning of this series the camera angle had changed. Now the cafe has been redecorated inside and out, and all subsequent episodes would never allow the cafe to be as grotty as it once was.

Glad to see you on here wstol.I used to enjoy this post.
George(limplungs)
One of my all time favourite scenes was Foggy on his bike.Reminded me of the old Hal Roach films

This episode was also monumental in the change of the cafe. At the beginning of this series the camera angle had changed. Now the cafe has been redecorated inside and out, and all subsequent episodes would never allow the cafe to be as grotty as it once was.

I don't know if we ever mentioned the point that the overriding, most significant monumental change was that Series #6 was Alan JW Bell's first. He was the instigator of the changes in the café. I never understood Brian Wilde's conniving at bringing back Sydney Lotterby but we should be eternally grateful it was for just one series and that Alan Bell ruled supreme from Series #8 onward.

Great to hear from you again Big Unc.

I understand once Wilde saw the results of Series 6 he was quietly impressed and seemed happy to work with him for Getting Sam Home and all his subsequent episodes.

I suppose Alan JW Bell's style proved more demanding.

As good as Bell's work was, I have to say I didn't notice any vast differences.

Series 1-5 and 7 seemed to contain plenty of long shots where the cast appear as dots among the countryside.

One has to admire Bell's dedication to the series though.

From reading Andrew Vine's book and other comments I think Brian Wilde was less keen on the precision demanded by Alan Bell, (soemthing to do with how he composed the shots and his methods) and so he stayed for a while until other tensions and ideas arose and he left.

Aw, I´m sad to have missed all the other episodes on that other forum, the first seasons are my favourites! And the Bicycle episode here particularly, I love the scene when they come out of the garage one after another with Cleggy waiting outside and all that laughing about their funny vehicles, it seemed as if they had a real laugh .

Having seen all the fantastic different categories on this site, all the episode reviews we did on 'the other site' would look great all placed in order in their very own category.

This would allow all users to view them easily, and more importantly add new comments to them.

All the reviews that I started were clearly titled and referenced by series and episode number. The pilot and Christmas specials by year were also labelled, and were submitted in chronological order on a weekly basis.

If anyone has access to them, and is technical enough to transfer them to this site it may make a good feature.

More importantly, there were some splendid comic strips from Claye which I don't think this forum has on the Claye category.

More importantly, there were some splendid comic strips from Claye which I don't think this forum has on the Claye category.

[/quote]

Claye does have his own section on this forum,though I have not updated it since April

I´m sad to have missed all the other episodes on that other forum,

Can someone email the owner of the Chronicle forum to collect
the episode data base???

I have done it with no reply to date

I am not an expert on websites but I would have thought it highly difficult to embed data from another website into this one. The optimum might be to take over the other website totally. After this relatively small amount of time I would anticipate the information still being extant and that the forum could be reactivated.

The former loxleylozenge76 here.Great episode,especially the end with the bike crashing and Compo chasing Foggy off and unleashing a barrage of insults :).Shame Percy didnt appear again

Back