Series 22

BoraNatty

It was a nice thought bringing Tom into it but I don't think it ever worked that well. I'm not sure if he's not a very good actor or if was over acting all the time but wasn't impressed with him. I certainly wasn't impressed with Mrs Avery and daughter. I think that is the only part of the entire series that was poor imo.
Am i being harsh?

I think Tom seemed a little bit of a fish out of water at the start. He did have some mighty big wellies to step in to. As you mentioned not the best of actors and did over do it at times in the beginning. Yet I do feel that he settled into the role eventually. Really liked his money generating schemes and working with Auntie and Smiler.

I feel it must have been a challenge at the start for anyone. Dealing with his Dad passing away and then working with the people that his Dad worked closely with for so many years. Being at Holmfirth and with the other actors had to of been a daily reminder of his Dad and that he passed on.

Will freely admit it took me a little to shine on to Tom. Am glad I stuck with him because he is a good character. A bit silly at times just like just like Smiler, Eli and the others :) . Mrs. Avery did not fit as well I thought. Though I did like her more when they moved in next to Nora and both ladies would try to smarten up Tom. Agree that Avery's niece (?) was not a good match for the show.

I completely agree Bora, I don't feel you are being harsh. In fairness to Roy Clarke the characters had to be parachuted into the series at short notice due the unexpected passing of Bill. Roy Clarke quickly realised that Mrs Avery and her daughter weren't in fitting with the series hence them being dropped.
I think that Tom was probably the poorest regular actor of the entire series, and was amazed they stuck with him until the end. I thought Mrs Avery could have been a good character in a different context and felt she was also well acted.

I wasn't keen on Tom but I did warm to Mrs Avery, her niece was nothing but annoying and didn't fit in but I think Mrs Avery could have gone on to be a good character. It was Eil that made me cringe.

I'm not keen on Mrs Avery, but think Tom is okay. Not sure about Nora's fawning over Tom and think it may have been better to have had her wondering if he would be as irritating to her as Compo.

To quote a Yorkshire saying the character of Tom, was neither sommat nor nowt! I never really saw where he fitted in. Nothing against him personally but what major acting parts had he had previously and since? The only thing I saw him in was a small cameo in Minder once.
He sadly wasn't in the same acting league as his father and that combined with his poor casting means he wasn't one of the more memorable characters.

To quote a Yorkshire saying the character of Tom, was neither sommat nor nowt! I never really saw where he fitted in. Nothing against him personally but what major acting parts had he had previously and since? The only thing I saw him in was a small cameo in Minder once.
He sadly wasn't in the same acting league as his father and that combined with his poor casting means he wasn't one of the more memorable characters.

Apparently he did theatre, but most of his TV parts have been relatively small apart from SW.

I always thought Entwistle could have done more. All he did was talk about his washing machines he wanted to sell
I believe Entwistle was a very good character. There was a lot of good emphasis on him in his first seasons. He was never too much of a talker. However, his role was basically reduced to making silly facial expressions during the Hobbo years.

I agree in thinking it would have been nice that Entwistle could of had more of a role in the show. Always had a soft spot for Entwistle because of him being Cato from The Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers I'd watched when younger. Same goes for liking Truly as his character Captain Peacock from Are You Being Served?

There was a horse called Not now Cato and if it was running we would always back it did won a few quid but then it started to go up in the weights and didn't come anywhere.

Back