scouring the steps

brendalovescompo

Dedicated Member
In the Blimire years, when Compo and Nora's neighbor Gloria was going to Australia. She said they don't scour the steps down there she said. Yes here in the states, or at least I do sweep the steps, and if there is a bit more dirt that is able to find its way in the house I will get out the garden hose to wash away. Sometimes getting soap if necessary. Is that a older Yorkshire woman thing?:whisper:

I'm not sure if its local to Yorkshire. We always scoured our steps. You needed a good scrubbing brush and a pale and usually either Vim or Flash powder.

We have borax powder, probably the same thing. So is that a weekly thing? Like sweeping or it can go afew weeks? If my husband see this he would probably say, yeah you do it too, but I am always. sweeping the entrance way,to prevent coming in house. Just something that stuck out yesterday when watching. I remember Nora yelling at someone in the building , she does everyday, not just when it needs it. I suppose I do when need. Silly I know.:29::29: Just wondering.

Beth and Marianna do you scour?

Thanks Pearl.:)

Beth and Marianna do you scour?

Not me! For one thing, I have dirt-catching mats on the front and back steps and covering the area between the top step and the threshold. They get vacuumed a few times per year and swept when there's snow on them. Even without the mats, I wouldn't scour because the surface underneath is painted and the paint would come off. At most, I'd mop with a mild solution of Dirtex, which is formulated for painted surfaces. The only place to buy it around here is in the paint store.

The concrete walk leading from the sidewalk to the steps is another matter. That gets swept frequently to minimize the amount of dirt that the mats have to capture. I don't do it every day like stereotypical homemakers in the '50s did, though. On the other hand, I always change my shoes just inside the door. Most guests don't do that and I won't ask them to, I just clean the floors after they leave.

Marianna

I think it was done twice a week the older generation did it everyday. It was a way to get out in the street and talk to your neighbours and have a good gossip.

I remember about 4 doors down an old lady called Laura, she did her's everyday and I used to avoid going out there when she was doing it because if she started talking to you she wouldn't let you go, looking back she was probably a lonely old lady wanting company which just makes me feel guilty now :'(

Thanks, Don't worry Pearl , you are older and wiser now, and you are probably right. I thought you were going to say, she would tell you to get scouring on those steps young lady!! Before my mom comes down in a few weeks for graduation, I do plan to scour, to make it look good. She hasn't been here for about 7 or 8 years. They don't understand that the roads go north and south. ;D. Though she has been taking care of my 88 year old grandmother, and dad before he passed.

I need to invest in a pinny!!:16:

Back