Saving on Words

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to me that the younger generation have managed to chop the English language down to just a few words, you probably know a few,but the common words I hear are

Err
You Know
I forgot

Terry

Err yeah well 'snot fair

Yer wot?

There are a few more common ones which I would have considered somewhat improper in my youth! Or as one fo my grandmothers would have it "uncalled for". Thus a certain modesty forbids me repeating such.

I find it amusing when they use "text" language on forums. I often ask if they have buttons missing from their keyboards.
Geoff :)

There are a number of words that seems to have fallen from favour..

I guess few of us have an anti macasars at home, but then such a trifle woul be a mere bagatelle in cost ter,ms.

Have a dekko and let me know!!

I have also noticed when they interview the posher children on TV instead of them using the word "Like" every 4th or 5th word they use "Kinda"

I have a daughter who refuses to use 'text speak'(or txtspk) She insists on using the whole word even when texting, when I point out she could be regarded as pedantic she replies" I like to use proper English!" My hates are "innit" " whoss name " and lol . ;D Now who's pedantic?? ;D

and if i ever hear again "and stuff" it will be
way way too soon. (or did i mean to say,
"anytime soon" ??)

I have a daughter who refuses to use 'text speak'(or txtspk) She insists on using the whole word even when texting, when I point out she could be regarded as pedantic she replies" I like to use proper English!" My hates are "innit" " whoss name " and lol . ;D Now who's pedantic?? ;D

Good on her.

One of the principal problems I have with texting - takes far too long to write correct English especially if you need a word with "igh" in as I have to wait aftyer the "i" to type in "g" and so on.

It seems to me that the younger generation have managed to chop the English language down to just a few words, you probably know a few,but the common words I hear are

Err
You Know
I forgot

Terry

often shortened to "y'noz" - ugh!

Back