Sad News for Fawlty Towers Fans

I remember reading some years ago that the place was heavily fire damaged. Believe the article even had pictures of the damage. I'm talking about the location in the opening shots, not the place that inspired the show. Ah, I see now in the article that the fire happened in the mid '90s.

The value on the place that inspired the show increased nicely over the years - $10,000 in 1964 to $2.25 million in 2005. Odd, that two fans would spend so much only to sell it a year later.

Am I reading the article correctly?? It says the place that inspired the show is to be torn down at the beginning of article. Yet at the end of article it says the place has been converted to residential apartments for the elderly. ???

Cheers,
Rick

Rick ,

I think they may demolish it and then build the apartments on the land , if the building is not in great condition probably more cost effective to demolish and build with more modern materials. In an interview John Cleese said whilst the whole of Python stayed at the Hotel initially ,whilst filming in the area, the rest of the Pythons did not like Donald Sinclair and moved to another Hotel . Cleese , however, decided to stay , presumably gathering more material for the Fawlty Towers show. He quotes the incident when Eric Idle left his briefcase behind when they left to film in the morning . On returning he enquired of Sinclair if they had found his briefcase to which he replied yes do you see the wall out there by the swimming pool , well its behind there. Idle asked why to which Sinclair, in full Basil mode, said it could have been a bomb we don't have time to find out if it was a bomb or not so we put it out there in case it was .

I was have liked to travel back in time and witness the Monty Python cast staying there. I kind of wonder that is John Clesse stayed for ideas for a show, if he sort of kept himself around Sinclair for material? Anyway, it is a great story.

I always figured that the inspiration for the show was not the filming location. Therefor, the demolishing of the hotel isn't so heart breaking afterall. I did, however, thought and hoped the building and location of the show was actually Torquay. Oh well.

captain,

That is really funny about the suitcase. I can fully see John Cleese in Basil Fawlty mode doing such a thing. I bet he relished the chance to study up on the inspiration for his new character. I greatly enjoyed the series and wish it had not been so short lived. A few more season would have been great.

Cheers,
Rick

captain,

That is really funny about the suitcase. I can fully see John Cleese in Basil Fawlty mode doing such a thing. I bet he relished the chance to study up on the inspiration for his new character. I greatly enjoyed the series and wish it had not been so short lived. A few more season would have been great.

Cheers,
Rick

Hello Rick

I am sure we would have all loved a further season , I know John Cleese did consider it but then decided to stop the show when it was at the top which you have to admire him for because I am sure he could have commanded a large fee to carry on as both writer and lead actor.

The bit I always liked in Fawlty Towers is when the old ladies were told they were going to have their dinner else where - Gleneagles!

Back