Roy Clarkes finest creations

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Like many I'm a big fan of most of Roy Clarke's work, I love the eccentricities and depth in all his characters. I know this is a tough call but who would you say your favorite or funniest characters clearly the actor played a big part in this too, and they don't just/even have to come from LOTSW. My top 3 would be as follows;

Arkwright - The genius Ronnie Barker brought this amazing and hilarious character to life, he was in a different league to pretty much all other actors
Hyacinth - Some say she's a one joke character, but I absolutely loved her, not only was she an amazing actress but she perfected physical humour
Wally Batty - Surprise here, but I think he perfectly portrays the downtrodden man which Roy no doubt had in mind when creating LOTSW

Who would your top 3 be and why?

Mine would be

Arkwright - as you say Barry the sheer genius of the writing and Ronnie Barker's portrayal were just superb. I still watch them seen them so many times but it takes multiple views to see all the little nuances and comedic play on words .

Cleggy - aside from the sheer longevity of the character its the dialogue and Peter Sallis's consummate acting skills that make it a must for my top 3

Potter - Arthur Lowe took Mainwaring up a few notches for the sheer pomposity of Reddvers . Retired with time on his hands he was never wrong and determined to keep busy after retiring . He was the ultimate chauvinist and all out Snob. He was aided ably by John Barron [CJ from Reggie] as the Vicar who even probably topped Reddvers in the chauvinist stakes. His poor downtrodden wife Jane was given all sorts of tasks to do which at the time would have only been considered suitable for a man remember her doing building work, mixing cement etc all common place now but unheard of then.

Mine though really difficult to Choose from so many wonderful Characters

Seymour because if nothing else you can see in his face he really enjoyed the part and seemed to work very well with the other cast at the time.

Auntie W, as the many times I watched them filming she always seem very professional and easily did what was asked of her, including knowing her lines

Arkwright, without Ronnie I don't think it would of worked so well, he was the show

I would say all of the women in LOTSW. They were all truly professionals. Sometimes, when out on the hills their "trailer" was a car. And when it was cold and windy and if they looked well padded, they were. And yet, they were spot on with their lines and cues.

Like many I'm a big fan of most of Roy Clarke's work, I love the eccentricities and depth in all his characters. I know this is a tough call but who would you say your favorite or funniest characters clearly the actor played a big part in this too, and they don't just/even have to come from LOTSW. My top 3 would be as follows;

Arkwright - The genius Ronnie Barker brought this amazing and hilarious character to life, he was in a different league to pretty much all other actors
Hyacinth - Some say she's a one joke character, but I absolutely loved her, not only was she an amazing actress but she perfected physical humour
Wally Batty - Surprise here, but I think he perfectly portrays the downtrodden man which Roy no doubt had in mind when creating LOTSW

Who would your top 3 be and why?
I am completely with you regarding Wally and for the exact same reasons.

Here is a twist....while Hyacinth is a great character, I think Richard ends up stealing the show. He is tormented and put into uncomfortable situatios throughout KUA. "Oh Look, a Black Bird!" :D

While Clegg and Foggy are brilliant characters, I think Truly is really special. His leadership and demeanor around the other barmpots is great.

I would say all of the women in LOTSW. They were all truly professionals. Sometimes, when out on the hills their "trailer" was a car. And when it was cold and windy and if they looked well padded, they were. And yet, they were spot on with their lines and cues.
The ladies are great, and so real. My late grandmother on my Dad's side was very much like Nora. My late grandmother on my Mom's side was very much like Roz.

Selwyn Froggitt…read the Times, wore a donkey jacket, laboured for the council, pint of cook in’ and a bag o nuts… magic.
Wally Batty… put upon… great one liners… couldn’t even escape Nora on his motorcycle as he had a side car.
Foggy… leader of men!!

Mine though really difficult to Choose from so many wonderful Characters

Seymour because if nothing else you can see in his face he really enjoyed the part and seemed to work very well with the other cast at the time.

Auntie W, as the many times I watched them filming she always seem very professional and easily did what was asked of her, including knowing her lines

Arkwright, without Ronnie I don't think it would of worked so well, he was the show
Auntie W always had this subtle smile when the nervous Clegg was nearby. She knew she would get him.

I think that's why i don't really like Still Open All Hours i could never see Granville turning out like Arkwright it would of been much better if he had become really successful i guess it probably wouldnt of worked then though

I think that's why i don't really like Still Open All Hours i could never see Granville turning out like Arkwright it would of been much better if he had become really successful i guess it probably wouldnt of worked then though
I have watched it but for me it’s dire and I was intrigued to see what it would be like when it was first rumoured to be making a return.
I’ll just stick to watching the original series as it’s a classic.

Back