Roy Clarke on BBC Breakfast

I got the impression that Roy Clarke did not want to be there he was very taciturn but Maggy was her usual self all in all it seemed stilted interview due to Roy.

I enjoyed that interview and thanks for sharing it.I thought Roy Clarke came across quite well and much the same as ive seen him do other interviews.He has never struck me as a gregarious,effusive,bubbly type but more of a quiet reserved sort of person.I would imagine he would feel more comfortable with pencil in one hand and notepad in the other rather than in front of television cameras.
Anyway,i hope its a success and the BBC runs with it for at least a few series.

Hector

Merry Xmas everyone

It really does look good, doesn't it?

It looks so true to the original, and Granville gradually turning into Arkwright, which so often does happen as the younger man grows older.

I can see this definitely will become a series.

I also think it will create some interest in LOTSW.

I have heard a few actors state that they don't do interviews because they are extremely shy and are not "naturally funny" in real life. So instead of disappointing their public they just don't accept opportunities to speak. I expect it is exactly the same for some writers as well. 8)

In the LOTSW anniversary interviews, Roy seemed much more relaxed and open. Maybe he was at home. :)

It doesn't really matter. He is a hero to all of us who love LOTSW! :santawink:

I hope I can see this new show. Will have to find a way to see it. 8)

Roy Clarke seemed quite unwilling to expect too much, he is waiting to see what the audience reaction is.

But it is strange seeing how like his uncle Granville has become!

Just need to check my recorder works! :santawink: :santawink: :santawink:

Thanks for posting, Welshy.

Wow! That is the first time I have ever seen Roy Clarke. He seems younger than I imagined. Over the years of viewing his shows, I got the false impression that he was a bit energetic or even wild. I was shocked to see him so reserved. But then again, writers and actors can certainly be different in real life.

I can't help but to wonder why Open All Hours was picked (and accepted by the BBC) for a remake, and not Summer Wine. Does Clarke simply have fresher ideas for this show or is it that David Jason is a big name?

The clips look really good, especially with the son and his sunglasses.

I agree I dont think Roy wanted to be there, but all the same it was a good interview and it looks promising and I am sure if it is allowed to develop it will be a hit. :santahat: :santahat: :santahat:

codfanglers,
I tend to believe its because of David Jason and the BBC know or are fairly confident that he will bring in decent viewing figures.I also get the feeling that if David Jason had told the BBC just how much he would loved to have been in LOTSW then we likely would have had that as a special..I do hope its a success though whatever the reason may be. :respect:

What kinda puzzles me is..I thought the controllers at the BBC cancelled LOTSW because they wanted to aim their programmes at a much younger audience.Open all Hours dosnt strike me as a young persons type of comedy programme but rather to the slightly older and even older viewer ;D or have I got that completely wrong :me:

Hector

I can't help but to wonder why Open All Hours was picked (and accepted by the BBC) for a remake, and not Summer Wine. Does Clarke simply have fresher ideas for this show or is it that David Jason is a big name?

Without David Jason it doesn't get made. Jason in his own way has become as big a name as Ronnie Barker.

If you remake LOTSW it would be done, one assumes, with the final trio. They don't have the weight of what went before. The big names of LOTSW have, sadly, largely passed on.

Thought that Granville,s son looked just like him when younger all he needed was a cocoa tin lid on a chain round his neck! :xmasstree:

codfanglers,
I tend to believe its because of David Jason and the BBC know or are fairly confident that he will bring in decent viewing figures.I also get the feeling that if David Jason had told the BBC just how much he would loved to have been in LOTSW then we likely would have had that as a special..I do hope its a success though whatever the reason may be. :respect:

What kinda puzzles me is..I thought the controllers at the BBC cancelled LOTSW because they wanted to aim their programmes at a much younger audience.Open all Hours dosnt strike me as a young persons type of comedy programme but rather to the slightly older and even older viewer ;D or have I got that completely wrong :me:

Hector

I think its a mistake to believe that they just wanted to aim at a younger audience. Some find it difficult to accept that all good things come to an end and eventually all good things don't necessarily stay as good as before. I mean, shock, horror, what if the BBC actually cancelled LOTSW because it wasn't as good anymore? Fans loyal to the end won't accept it, but it's always happened on TV.

Still Open All Hours will have some new younger characters in it, so I think it is wrong to just see TV as being either for young or old and no middle ground. The BBC currently has a comedy called Hebburn which has characters across the age range including a very funny older mother figure and friends around her. It won't appeal to everyone though as it does have younger characters that deliver comedy that might be seen as aimed at the younger audience which is slightly racy and gritty.

Thinking about it - Roy Clarke is rather like Clegg would be in an interview. Is there something of Norman Clegg in Roy? Just a stray thought .... :-\ :-\ :-\

Thinking about it - Roy Clarke is rather like Clegg would be in an interview. Is there something of Norman Clegg in Roy? Just a stray thought .... :-\ :-\ :-\

In one of the books Roy Clarke makes it clear that Clegg is his alter ego. (And he models Ivy on his wife). I think that was the great tragedy of Clegg (along with Truly) being side-lined in the later series. Roy Clarke lost his mouthpiece.

And in the interview in question I do not think Roy was in the least uncomfortable. He is, after all, a man who is totally comfortable in his own skin. He does not believe in airs and graces and talking overmuch (and over-egging the pudding). Maybe he does feel in interviews that he does have to restrain himself and not make it too obvious just how inane he finds some of the questions and comments of the presenters (whose only agenda is to make themselves look good).

Back