Roof Up, How many Times

In Dancing Feet when they got towed through the field by the tractor.
Putting the top up was a no-brainer. Did they really want to spend the time cleaning the inside of the car after shooting the scene or did they want to put the top up so they are left with just washing the car afterwards? Of course they put the top up!

With all that car went through I picture the props department having a garage full of the same model they had bought & painted/restored/repaired to go through them like they had to do on The Dukes of Hazzard. :D

With all that car went through I picture the props department having a garage full of the same model they had bought & painted/restored/repaired to go through them like they had to do on The Dukes of Hazzard. :D
Speaking of the Dukes of Hazzard, that flood in Kentucky occurred in the approximate region where the Dukes of Hazzard was set. The author of the book that inspired the Dukes of Hazzard actually lived one town over. He called it Dukes of Hazzard because the name of the actual town was too long.

TV Hazzard was set (as a fictional town) in Georgia. There is a real one in Eastern Kentucky where residents are bracing for more floods later this week.

The 70's show went through an estimated 300+Dodge Chargers, destroying at least one if not two per episode for stunt jumps (landings trashed the frame and body but on camera the car just-a-kept-on-rollin'). The cars became harder to find so miniatures were used in later episodes.

We happened upon one set on display in front of Tennessee gas station years ago. The interior was very minimal, just enough for a roll cage, a "seat" and a restraint. I can't say with certainty that this was used in the show (it have been a replica used for a local demolition derby or something similar) but the body damage and the decal detail look very convincing.

Attachments

• IMG_9147.JPG
    IMG_9147.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9151.JPG
    IMG_9151.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9152.JPG
    IMG_9152.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9153.JPG
    IMG_9153.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks @Onslow that story about the car in Duke of Hazzard is really interesting, I used to love that programme when I was a kid. I cannot believe they got through that may cars, environmentalists would never allow that to happen these days. I loved the way the slid in through the windows, my dad used to go mad when I used to try and get in the back of the family car that way :p

Another interesting story I learned when I visited the Aston Martin museum a few years ago relates to James Bond. It was written that 007 would drive a Jaguar but they point blank refused to lend any of their cars for filming. So Aston Martin was chosen as a second choice, they lent them 5 cars but insisted they return them in near perfect condition. Aston Martin even stripped down the machine gun holes and gadgets used and sold it as a standard construction DB5, even though it would have been worth much more as used in Dr No!!!!

I'm sure Jaguar probably regret the decision not to allow James Bond to drive their cars now....

I think Morse was just a classic car, with no sales potential. Jaguar did try to get in on the act with 'return of the saint' xjs, but that series flopped.

That's because the XJS was an awful car :p which ironically the DB7 was based on and that was one of the worst Aston Martins ever made too!

Jaguar did have on of their concept cars used in Spectre, but like the DB10 it was never put into production, the latter is a stunning car.

Back