Robert Fyfe

Oh what overwhelmingly upsetting news, there are now very few of the actors/actresses from our beloved show who survive . It just shows how time has marched on a pace . The after life beckons for a reunion of the "Other " trio sure Marina cannot wait to renew her "friendship" with the man who considered her the young lady he barely knew though Pearl most definitely was never fooled by that line . After a few years respite from the eternal triangle sadly for all of the fans Howard is entering the fray once more . Good luck our dear friend ! A very very sad loss.

Sad to hear that he has passed, and I agree he was one of the most important cast members of the series. He, Juliette and Jean represented a 25 year thread of continuity in the show during a time when cast changes sadly became more common due to the age (and in some cases infirmity) of the various cast members in the show's later years.

I can't help noticing that we have a Jane Freeman-esque mystery though, in that his age and birthyear seem to have changed now that he has died. Previously all sources that I'm aware of had a birthdate for him in 1925, and had him as being 96, but now the BBC have put one short (and probably interim, pending further information becoming available) article stating that he was 90, and suddenly we have to decide whether to believe one age mention on a single short BBC article, or all previous sources of information. I can't help thinking that if the BBC journalist who wrote the article today was hurriedly given a brief of 'Robert Fyfe dead aged 96' in handwritten form (however unlikely that seems in the digital era) then they could easily have misread that as 90 if the 6 wasn't written very well, so I don't feel the article as it currently stands counts as true proof that he was actually 90, at least not unless they go on to add further details about his birth and early life if/when they flesh the article out. Looking at his wikipedia article this has clearly been causing an edit war with people reverting his age and birthdate back and forth due to the uncertainty. Any thoughts?

ah no, just seen this on the news, I/m really, really sad. The very last link to Old Summer Wine.
It was different when I was younger, Michael Bates died before I ever saw the show.
John Comer died when I was a young lad, but the series went on.
After then, bit by bit a star dwindled and died in our Summer Wine night sky and Robert Fyfe was the last one left of the old school/
I'm always sad when a member of the cast dies, but somehow this resonates more as he was part of the furniture.
Apart from Crusher, he was the last of the old school pre-Seymour and that's what I class as Summer Wine vintage, before we had more extras than Ben Hur.

I'm just thinking aloud here so forgive me, you know when Truly or Cleggy died, there were always others still there to remind us. Then bit by bit Pearl went, then Marina, but somehow Robert Fyfe going seems to be the end. Now I know the show ended 11 years ago but it was always alive to me when there was an old school character alive. With Howard passing it somehow seems like the end.

Sad to hear that he has passed, and I agree he was one of the most important cast members of the series. He, Juliette and Jean represented a 25 year thread of continuity in the show during a time when cast changes sadly became more common due to the age (and in some cases infirmity) of the various cast members in the show's later years.

I can't help noticing that we have a Jane Freeman-esque mystery though, in that his age and birthyear seem to have changed now that he has died. Previously all sources that I'm aware of had a birthdate for him in 1925, and had him as being 96, but now the BBC have put one short (and probably interim, pending further information becoming available) article stating that he was 90, and suddenly we have to decide whether to believe one age mention on a single short BBC article, or all previous sources of information. I can't help thinking that if the BBC journalist who wrote the article today was hurriedly given a brief of 'Robert Fyfe dead aged 96' in handwritten form (however unlikely that seems in the digital era) then they could easily have misread that as 90 if the 6 wasn't written very well, so I don't feel the article as it currently stands counts as true proof that he was actually 90, at least not unless they go on to add further details about his birth and early life if/when they flesh the article out. Looking at his wikipedia article this has clearly been causing an edit war with people reverting his age and birthdate back and forth due to the uncertainty. Any thoughts?
I think the age debate is just silly, now especially. I see it happening on our Facebook group, people arguing with each other over his age, as if it mattered.

Heart breaking.......so underated...he was on a par with Peter,Bill,Brian and Michael.
He was the glue that held everything together....a constant throughout the decades with a natural talent to make the simplest of scenes very ,very funny.
As has been stated many times...when we see our heroes pass away it is like a death in the family.
Inky Batty sums everyone's feelings perfectly...Howard....OUR Howard was the last of " the Originals....The Old School" to leave us.
A very sad day for every single "Summerwine Family Member" on our wonderful site.
i thank Maltrab,Pearl and all the other people who keep this site alive...it gives us ALL an opportunity to come together and grieve together at times like these.
X!

And what is truly amazing is these years many,many people do not know Howard's surname......MR. SIBSHAW...I, and my fellow Summer Wine family members salute you !!!!....an amazing man...who's glass was ALWAYS half FULL....who's romantic ideals knew no bounds.......forever thwarted....but FOREVER LOVED BY US ALL !!!!.

I know a person who writes death notices, it seems every celebrity already has theirs written once they reach a certain age that way it's at hand when it happens. She's done hundreds of them so I'm sure his was already written years ago and just updated if he did anymore work.

As a character Howard was SO GAME !!!...he comes a close second to Compo in the " I am game" stakes......Dressed as a women,an airman,a cub scout leader,cyclist,marathon runner,football dribbler,frogman,fisherman,golfer,tennis player ....his enthusiasm knew no bounds and made us mere mortals ashamed of our lethergy !!!!.......a real optimist.....who continued to folloew his dream !!!!...A ONE OFF.

My word another sad loss, we are so blessed we can still watch these wonderful people via our TV's, because they are irreplaceable

We are truly blessed by the invention of VHS, DVD and the Internet that we can still enjoy our favourite actors performances and the special happiness they give to us all. As Howards would say "We've really cracked it this time!"

Back