RIP Tom Owen

Bummer :(
So many "main" characters are getting thin on the ground these days... remembering it was a few years ago now that it started and *gulp* ended...

To me it was a shock as 73 is such a young age these days it's more expected with those in their 90's although just as sad. I'm in a state of shock like I was when Jean Fergusson passed unexpectedly. RIP

I think Barry's brilliant idea in the cafe really helped Tom's character develop and evolve......moving in with Smiler,combined with his "charity work" [remember...Aunty didn't pay either of them !!!!] at Aunty's enabled him to "become" Tom....to really put his own mark on the character.

I think Barry's brilliant idea in the cafe really helped Tom's character develop and evolve......moving in with Smiler,combined with his "charity work" [remember...Aunty didn't pay either of them !!!!] at Aunty's enabled him to "become" Tom....to really put his own mark on the character.
Very well put @MoodyBlue , I've never thought about that before but you're right. Glad to hear from you again, seems a while since I saw a post from you, glad to hear from you again :)

Brian Murphy, aka Alvin is the oldest surviving member, he was born in 1932. Does anybody know how Barbara Young aka FlorrieStella is doing? She was born in Brighouse (which has appeared in several episodes) in1936.

I think the actor who played Billy Hardcastle is still with us, but I've not heard anything about him since he left the series, same as Alan Bell.

Barry.....what a lovely thing to say...it means a lot to me.
That is an example of the unique beauty of our unique beautiful site.....
We really are a global family of barmpots who genuinely care and look out for each other.
I am so proud and privileged to be a family member.....
As I have stated many times....in this mad bad world each and everyone of you make me happy when skies are grey !!!.
X!

Sad to hear that our Tom had died. I never took to the series after Foggy's final episode, but Tom Owen/Tom Simmonite were both so good for the series and always gave us a lasting memory of Bill and Compo, who also give us treasured memories.

Now that Tom has gone, which members of the cast do we have left?

Brian Murphy, aka Alvin is the oldest surviving member, he was born in 1932. Does anybody know how Barbara Young aka FlorrieStella is doing? She was born in Brighouse (which has appeared in several episodes) in1936.
According to Barbara's Wikipedia page, she is still with us, and was still working up to a few years ago. The last entry on her filmography list was "The Keeper" in 2018.

Now that Tom has gone, which members of the cast do we have left?
As far as I can see, of the principals and characters appearing at least 3 times, only the following are still with us...
(* or only twice but deserve special mention)

Gordon Simmonite - Philip Jackson
Miss Probert - June Watson*
Barry Wilkinson - Mike Grady
Glenda Wilkinson - Sarah Thomas
Mrs Lolita “Lolly” Minerva Avery - Julie T. Wallace
Babs Avery - Helen Turaya
PC Cooper - Kenneth Kitson
PC Walsh - Louis Emerick
Milburn "Crusher" - Jonathan Linsley
Billy Hardcastle - Keith Clifford
Alvin Smedley - Brian Murphy
Luther “Hobbo” Hobdyke - Russ Abbot
Landlord - Michael Wardle
Ethel* (and FotSW Mrs Clegg) - Maggie Ollerenshaw
Cliff - Tommy Cannon
Florrie / Stella - Barbara Young

Unknown
Vicar - Gerard Hayling

Apologies in advance but when I worked someone set up a sweepstake to guess which famous celebrity would pass away next in return for taking the prize . I won't denigrate this any further by telling you the name given to the competition . I only mention it because it was mildly amusing that someone had drawn Catherine Cookson , she was forever going into hospital and so he anticipated victory and the receipt of a pot of cash [ fixed fee paid weekly by all participants until it was won] and every time he believed she was to pass away she would recover , come out of Hospital and write another book.

As far as I can see, of the principals and characters appearing at least 3 times, only the following are still with us...
(* or only twice but deserve special mention)

Gordon Simmonite - Philip Jackson
Miss Probert - June Watson*
Barry Wilkinson - Mike Grady
Glenda Wilkinson - Sarah Thomas
Mrs Lolita “Lolly” Minerva Avery - Julie T. Wallace
Babs Avery - Helen Turaya
PC Cooper - Kenneth Kitson
PC Walsh - Louis Emerick
Milburn "Crusher" - Jonathan Linsley
Billy Hardcastle - Keith Clifford
Alvin Smedley - Brian Murphy
Luther “Hobbo” Hobdyke - Russ Abbot
Landlord - Michael Wardle
Ethel* (and FotSW Mrs Clegg) - Maggie Ollerenshaw
Cliff - Tommy Cannon
Florrie / Stella - Barbara Young

Unknown
Vicar - Gerard Hayling

Thanks for that list. In my mind I think of Jonathan Linsley/Crusher as the earliest appearing regular that is still around.

As a minor note, Maggie Ollerenshaw did also show up in "The Flag and Further Snags" as the Commodore's unnamed girlfriend (in case you'd forgotten ;-))

Thanks for that list. In my mind I think of Jonathan Linsley/Crusher as the earliest appearing regular that is still around.

As a minor note, Maggie Ollerenshaw did also show up in "The Flag and Further Snags" as the Commodore's unnamed girlfriend (in case you'd forgotten ;-))
I was listing "characters appearing at least 3 times" she was not explicitly "Ethel" in that episode.

The earliest from the whole list was Philip Jackson (Gordon Simmonite) who appeared in series three in 1976.

The earliest from the whole list was Philip Jackson (Gordon Simmonite) who appeared in series three in 1976.
Yes, I realize that. By the definition given that is accurate but he is listing characters who appeared at least three times as well as regulars. I don't personally consider those who appeared a handful of times as having the same importance to the show as someone who appeared in multiple episodes over multiple series. Philip Jackson appeared in 3 episodes. Jonathan Linsley appeared in 20. Just my opinion.

Back