RIP Smiler

It was nice to see some pretty decent media coverage for the funeral. The only thing that I thought was a slight shame, is that they focused almost completely on his role as Blakey. I understand, of course, that this was his most iconic performance but he should also be remembered for other things. A fine comic actor.

I have looked through the coverage , whilst Anna Karen , the only surviving member of the On the Buses cast, was present it appears that no one from LOTSW was in attendance . Whilst a number of the cast are not in the best of health I would have thought at least one of those who are younger Sarah Thomas, Mike Grady, Tom Owen, Louis Emerick, Ken Kitson , perhaps Alan Bell et al may have attended .

I have looked through the coverage , whilst Anna Karen , the only surviving member of the On the Buses cast, was present it appears that no one from LOTSW was in attendance . Whilst a number of the cast are not in the best of health I would have thought at least one of those who are younger Sarah Thomas, Mike Grady, Tom Owen, Louis Emerick, Ken Kitson , perhaps Alan Bell et al may have attended .

Though I agree that someone from the cast could of attended,most of the ones you mentioned live some distance away, though Mr Bell is located fairly close and it would of been nice to see at least one there,he did work on the show for many years

Yes a sad loss fine actor and as Smiler he was well cast he had that look that made you feel sorry for him ,poor old Blakey Stan ran rings round him and Auntiereally made his life hell. Liked when he first came into the show when he was in hospital and they brought his little dog into see him and his long suffering wife who eventualy went to Aus.

Though I agree that someone from the cast could of attended,most of the ones you mentioned live some distance away, though Mr Bell is located fairly close and it would of been nice to see at least one there,he did work on the show for many years

I think distance is no object in these circumstances [A number of the celebrity attendees at Cilla Black's funeral Chris Biggins , Paul O'Grady, Lorraine Chase , Sir Cliff Richard are all London and indeed further down south based but their endearing love for her conquered any distance , they just had to be there] . It is difficult to ascertain the intra cast relationships, did Stephen Lewis have true friends in the show's cast or was he not that well liked [find the latter hard to believe from what I have read] . I just think out of respect for a former colleague someone should have made the effort to attend.

Back