RIP Shane McGowan

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Not to forget Kirsty MacColl. She and her family have never gotten any justice for what happened to her.
[

Just read that, he was a troubled soul, he wrote one of the very few xmas songs I can tolerate. Very sad news.

I saw Shane MacGowan and the Popes perform in the mid-90s in Cincinnati, Ohio. He came onto the stage and people were cheering. I could have sworn he said, "Hello Richmond." (As in Richmond, Virginia). Wild times for sure!

Sad news . I first saw the Pogues in ‘85 at the Hacienda Manchester. It was a riotous event with plenty of tin trays being administered to most of the heads in the audience.
The Pogues banjo player Jem Finer went to the same grammar school as me albeit a few years earlier.

A flawed genuis.......may God rest his soul.
I recommend EVERYONE read his book " A drink with Shane McGowan."
It is basically his then girlfriend talking to him his life,his belief,his politics,his friends,his enemies......it is one of the best books I have ever read.....it is impossible to put it down.
He was such an intelligent man.....A ONE OFF.
I too saw them at the beginning on their "red roses for me" in Liverpool....and have seen them many many times.......absolutely amazing...and Shane was the only natural born Irishman !!!.....and I agree with Onyx...."rainy night in Soho" is the perfect love song.
x!

Those last photos of him, he looked gone already.. Hard to explain what I mean.... You wouldnt let an animal suffer like that... but thats a discussion for somewhere else

Dirty Old Town one of my favorites

Back