RIP Max Bygraves

Never liked this man.His record " Why Does Everybody Call Me Bighead " destroyed my childhood . My cap size as a kid(I'll say no more )was larger than average and to have the local kids following you singing it was torture after a while >:( So it took some time to get over the experience . I was not called Dick by the other kids till I was 14+ before that it was always Hey Bighead.!! ::) Sometimes I wonder if I would have got by more easily if "my cap size " had been smaller. ???

Years ago some friends took us to see one of his shows in London,to be honest I was not looking forward to the show not really my cup of tea,but it turned out to be really good, he turned out to be a good entertainer even with an audience into 70's music

Never liked this man.His record " Why Does Everybody Call Me Bighead " destroyed my childhood . My cap size as a kid(I'll say no more )was larger than average and to have the local kids following you singing it was torture after a while >:( So it took some time to get over the experience . I was not called Dick by the other kids till I was 14+ before that it was always Hey Bighead.!! ::) Sometimes I wonder if I would have got by more easily if "my cap size " had been smaller. ???

That's horrible Dick, kids can be so crewel :(

I only seem to remember him presenting a quiz show many years ago.But my mum says he was a bit of a legend.R.I.P Max Bygraves.

Educating Archie. That's for anyone with a long memory! Why they had a ventriloquist on the radio is beyond me, but there you go. Beryl Reid was in it too. R.I.P. Max Bygraves, one of Archies educators!

Educating Archie. That's for anyone with a long memory! Why they had a ventriloquist on the radio is beyond me, but there you go. Beryl Reid was in it too. R.I.P. Max Bygraves, one of Archies educators!

Do so concur. A great man, a great entertainer. No side to him, just clear talent.

Note his level of award was an OBE. Gained in the days when you really had to work to be awarded an honour unlike that numpty who somehow screwed a knighthood out of the system.

Incidentally, from what I recollect, Peter Brough was never a great ventriloquist and frequently did not bother to keep his mouth still.

What would be the point on the radio, anyway! Do you remember ITMA? Tommy Handly, i think, yes?

Yes RIP Max.

Another educator was, I believe, Tony Hancock.

Incidentally, from what I recollect, Peter Brough was never a great ventriloquist and frequently did not bother to keep his mouth still.

That is something I too heard ....

They say that at the time Max died, a very large section of his beloved tree in his former home in Bournemouth snapped and fell to the ground, damaging the paving slabs.

The game show he presented was of course Family Fortunes, before Les Dennis took over.

I found a piece about this show in an old book. It was written by Eric Sykes and Sid Colin. Everyone who was anyone was in it at some point, a bit like SW.
Some of the more notable names were, Hattie Jacques, Julie Andrews, Ronald Chesney, Alfred Marks, Gilbert Harding! Jack Train, Bernard Miles, Herbert Lom! Ken Platt, Warren Mitchell, Graham Stark, Bernard Bresslaw, Sid James, and Bruce Forsyth. Dora Brian/Ros from Summer Wine was in it at one time as well.

Amazing.

Educating Archie.

I found a piece about this show in an old book. It was written by Eric Sykes and Sid Colin. Everyone who was anyone was in it at some point, a bit like SW.
Some of the more notable names were, Hattie Jacques, Julie Andrews, Ronald Chesney, Alfred Marks, Gilbert Harding! Jack Train, Bernard Miles, Herbert Lom! Ken Platt, Warren Mitchell, Graham Stark, Bernard Bresslaw, Sid James, and Bruce Forsyth. Dora Brian/Ros from Summer Wine was in it at one time as well.

Ken Platt is a name I have not heard in a long time. I did like him. A great radio comedian.

Years ago I bought a book on catchphrases. They had so many from Educating Archie, ITMA, Bandwagon, Much binding in the Marsh, The Navy Lark, Round the Horne, Beyond Our Ken, oh so many old shows. It was great. I can't find it any more. It's probably in the loft. (bit of a no-go area...)

Educating Archie.

Ken Platt is a name I have not heard in a long time. I did like him. A great radio comedian.

Is he the one who used to say 'Right Monkey'

Back