cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Just downloading, and starting to watch, the TV show Rev
with Tom Hollander and Olivia Colman (Broadchurch). Lot's of
fun, but some language. I recommend it.

Just downloading, and starting to watch, the TV show Rev
with Tom Hollander and Olivia Colman (Broadchurch). Lot's of
fun, but some language. I recommend it.

Could not agree more - a very funny programme with the support of a very serious moral line. Did not watch it myself this time as it clashed with the evening news. And for us it was a repeat.

In contrast, watched the new John Bishop Show on Saturday late evening. Absolutely appalling (apart from the acrobat act which opened the show). He made a big thing of the Paul Weller singing group who came out with a dreadful dirge. Has anyone else ever heard of Paul Weller.

I've been watching Rev when it airs on the local PBS station. It's a very good comedy with a touch of seriousness. I recommend it!

If it's the one about the Vicar in that church in London (?) and I can't decide if he's a Vicar whose a regular guy or if he's perpetually shy or just what his actual take on religion is?

If it's the one about the Vicar in that church in London (?) and I can't decide if he's a Vicar whose a regular guy or if he's perpetually shy or just what his actual take on religion is?

London is correct. My take on Rev Adam Smallbone is that he is a genuine Christian baffled by the material world and particularly by Church of England politics. This sums him up:

But his door at St Saviour's is always open - to the urban sophisticates with ulterior motives, the chronically lonely, the lost, the homeless, the poor and the insane, and Adam can't turn any of them away, even if they're clearly lying, mad or just very annoying.

Adam also has to deal with the decline of his church, both congregation-wise and money-wise, and whether it will even be able to stay open. Says a lot about the state of many Christian churches today, unfortunately.

Some churches are in decline, possibly because a more social doctrine is being preached. Other churches are struggling with having to add more services, finding enough seats, serving enough coffee, and providing enough parking.

Back